Dry Leaves On Pony Tail Palm

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I know they are not leaves but couldn't remember what they were call. They are turning brown and dry and I was wondering why that is. I thought maybe they needed more humidity but don't know. What do you think?

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

MY understanind is they do like it warm and humidity.
Also normal for the outermost leaves to tun brown at the end of growing season. They can be removed.
I am no pro but watering thre once a week and allowing to dry inbetween . Also helpful remove the moss and replace with stones so there will not be excessive moisture, and I would think the pebeles moist would halp with humidity.
Do you all mist your plants growing inside, or give them a showers ?
Gosh growing housplants can be more work than tropicals outsdie year rounf.
Good luck I'm sure more help will come soon !

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7a)

you shouldn't have to water your ponytail palm much at all during the winter. if the base starts to shrivel, well, then go ahead and water it. they are desert plants, so misting is likely to create a mildew or rot environment

if the fronds that are turning brown are the lowermost fronds, you can go ahead and remove them. resist the urge to trim off the brown tips

Silver Spring, MD

Why do you need to resist trimming the brown tips. (I'm a new Pony tail owner and I need all the tips I can get)

Another question. Can the plant go into shock when you repot? Is it best not to water it when changing pots?

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7a)

trimming the tips just seems to make them brown even more

I'm sure all plants can go into shock when you repot. just make sure that you don't put it into too big of a pot, just an extra inch all around the base is good enough.

again, I water in the winter based on whether the base is shrivelled or not (I have teeny tiny ones). if the base of your plant is big and fat, I wouldn't worry about watering it

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Outside in our neighborhood some folks have them and they grow in the ground year round. They get rained on all the time.
One neighbor told me it was normal for the outermost leaves to tun brown at the end of growing season. They can be removed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.