spider plant babies

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i bought these rooted cuttings from this seller on ebay.
they were very carefully packed, and very healthy and strong. i was impatient, it was 20degrees out whenthey arrived via usps priority mail, and despite the cold, they appear well. i've potted them in peat cups and plan on putting them in hanging baskets when better rooted.

this is the ebay store i got them from
http://stores.ebay.com/0-0-Gazebo-Gifts

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

the others:

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Very nice looking plants.I just Love spiders.(plants that is).Think I will check out that store : )
Happy Growing!!
Nancy

Silver Spring, MD

I love your little spiders. I was given two little spiders in November. I put them in a solo cup and yesterday discovered there were many roots so I potted it up. How often do I need to repot and when do baby spiders start coming? Do they like sun light? AND how about water? How much?

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

nannanavarro - i heard they wont send out baby shoots until they are rootbound, so if you go too big with your pot, it will need to fill with roots before shoots come out.
thats what i heard anyway...these are my first spider plants. stephanie (sjonesartist)

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Mind if I jump in? I love spider plants too. I've killed my share before finding DG! Early last spring I was leaving my hairdresser's when I commented on how beautiful her SP was, with all it's little babies. She walked over and snipped a half dozen or so off and handed them to me telling me she was over run with them! I let them root in water then planted them all in the same hanging basket. I put them outside last summer and they bloomed for me! I never knew they bloomed! Right now I'm getting ready to snip off some more babies and put them in water. This one is a solid green plant and I just love how the babies will branch and hang down. I love the variegated ones too. Someday I'll get one of those too.

Hey, maybe when it's not so arctic like in my zone we can all do a swap of our spider babies? LOL, that would be fun!

I'll try and get a pic of mine and post it tonight.

Silver Spring, MD

I hear you about the artic blast, hj. We are experiencing the same thing in MD. My spider (very tiny right now) is green and white and the "leaves" are not straight but curl under.

Here is a picture of my little guy hiding behind a rooster. He's not very big but I think he's cute.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2007 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by nannanavarro
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

He is adorable and on his way to be a very nice sized plant! I didn't get any pics taken tonight, but hopefully tomorrow I will.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

nannana - thats one of those curly spider plants. i will def. trade some babies when /if i get any.
my spiders are green inside, with white on the edges.
sjonesartist

Silver Spring, MD

You are certainly welcome to babies, if or should I say when, I get some.

(Zone 1)

Nanna: I LOVE "Mr. Rooster"! Too cute!

Re: Spider Plants .... I've never thought much about them ... I have a friend here in town who has them growing in flowerbeds in her yard, kinda like that liriope border grass. She keeps telling me I should take some babies and pot them up, so I might just have to do that! I have a couple of Spiders in pots sitting in the corner of my backyard ... need to get them and take better care of them.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Yes we have grown them sense little kids. We had a large one in a pot in our tree for couple years, it went threw winters , rain, hurricanes :))
We left it and the new owner who bought our home and moved in Second week of Nov,2006 took it down and has it in new garden beds looks good ! He is a plant freak too !
You can see it in the tree here with loads of babies always happy. It's variegated. It was a warm hit Summer day as we caught the sprinkler on our plants made them glisten !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Silver Spring, MD

From the picture, you can see why they are called spider plants. Don't those babies look just like little spiders dangling on the end of a web!

The rooster is paper mache covered with real rooster feathers. I got is for $1.00 at a garden store. It was in a basket with all kinds of birds. Each was $1.00. That was my find of the week.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2007 7:41 PM

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Wow cool rooster great price !
Yes they do look like speiders hanging down !

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

nanna- don't hurry to put that in bigger pots, as someone mentioned on another thread here recently, if you put them in too big a pot they tend to rot. I know because i've done it for sure, trying to hurry them to big plants but it didn't work that way.

Silver Spring, MD

Thanks for the suggestion. I just moved it up from a solo cup. I don't intend to repot for quite awhile.

Wal-Mart here always has 6 or 8 inch pots of spiders;different varieties for $5 or $6.

Susan

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I plant 3 or 4 babies directly into a 6 inch pot. They fill in quickly and usually make babies in a year or so.
They don't rot because I neglect them. They get pretty dry between waterings. lol.
These are a few years old.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

sarahskeeper, lol, your babies take up more room than the plants!
stephanie

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Not any more, Stephanie. I planted up 4 new pots of babies last September. All but the smallest one in that pic are now in the compost bin.
Andy P

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

Compost bin?!?!?! throw those babies on ebay!
stephanie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I just finished potting up 24 baby spider plants to take for exchange to our horticultural society plant share in the spring. Lots of us use spider plants as pot stuffers in outdoor containers for shady areas.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

I hope no one else is bringing spider babies to the southeast swap in April. That's pretty much all I have to share!! :)

David

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes, I know what you mean David. I'm in the same boat. I just started putting in my garden last year (new house, new yard) and so I don't have anything from outside to share. Yet. So much gardening to do, so little time...

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Why put them in the compost bin?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Cag, I don't have room for them in the house and it's too cold for them outside ~ compost. Dust to dust, lol.
Andy P

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

If you were closer, I'd come get them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.