Another favorite house plant ! Chirita sinensis 'Hisako' Bab

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I've shared this in the Av/Gesneirda forum but it is a House Plant and one of my favrites wanted to share it with you too !
Chirita sinensis 'Hisako' Babies
Last year I was able to prgate several babies by leaf to share !
Now I have about 12 or so new babies growing with Mom still ! I like to keep them with Mom as long as posible.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Here is Mom ;))

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Some more babies !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

She's grown for her stunning foliage but her flowers are beautiful too !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Have a fun day growing !
Allison

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

It is just gorgeous! If you ever have any to trade, or a leaf to trade, please let me know! I have one Chirita and it is doing well, but it is not nearly as pretty as this one. YOu really have a knack for starting them. Lou

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I am trading them ! I have three spoken for.
Right now I have two other Chiritas a yellow blooming one with lots of buds I am hoping to bloom soon " Chirita eburnea"
and Chirita 'Chastity' leaves down of both but no babies. I can trade the leaves of them though .
I like any house plant , seeds flower, open to anything !
I won't be able until Spring but can put your name on one !

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I could trade a Pink princess Philo for some. I could also trade some Streptocarpus leaves.if you are interested , please put my name down for Spring. Lou

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Oh Lou that would be a dream come true ! Yes would you like your name on two of them I have wanted Pink princess Philo forever !
I also have Epsicas Teddy Bear, Espicas F. Blue Heaven plants too
And Alsobia Cygnet if you'd like these plants for a couple Strep leaves !
Let me know I will put your name on them for Spring. They will all come in new pots fresh soil-less mix healthy and wrapped and packaged to perfection !
Thanks, Allison

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Sounds great. I will send some strep leaves and the pink princess for what you can spare. I love them all. Lou

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Great will send two plants of Chirita sinensis 'Hisako' , And plants of Alsobia Cygnet, E.F. Blue Heaven, E. Teddy Bear.
Their all my favorites ! I can also send leaves from my other two Chiritas if you don't have them yet,
I will wait most likly until Mid April or until warm in your area.
Thanks much, Allison
Alsobia Cygnet

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks!!~!!

I wanted to ask you what type of fertilizer you use and if you use rooting hormone for your babies? Your plants look extremely healthy and it seems you have a knack for starting them. I have a lighted plant stand and have the lights on for 12 hrs daily. Is this enough for episias and alsobias? The plants are on shelves about 12 to 14 inches from the lights. Any help from your experiences will be appreciated. Lou I came back to edit this, as I thought I was corresponding with you via d-mail. I got carried away and posted on the forum instead originally and have just answered without even noticing. Sorry-Lou

This message was edited Jan 30, 2007 6:08 PM

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Lou
I use Eleanor's VF-11. Light stands are great and natural light windows is great for them too !
You can go wrong either way ! No hormone needed. I use a light soil-less mix for everything everyone ! It's good draining and seems like all plants like it !
Alsobia Cygent and grow nice in a hanging basket. The have Stolons like Spider Plants that you cut off and put in their own pot to root for new babies. Doing this the Mom plant will branch out again another plant trailing and filling the pot up nice ! Then when it's nice and full
if you wnt you can let the stolons grow down the sides and they will bloom too !

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Allison, your pictures teach me so much...........the mother plant is outstanding and gorgeous...love seeing the little babies with their moms.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks BettyGail ! You will be getting one :))

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

How do you propagate them by leaves? Put the bottom of the leaf in potting soil or lay the leaf down? Just curious.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Chirita sinensis 'Hisako' is my fav and easiest Chirita to progate. I cut off a young healthy leaf. Prepare a small pot or 3, or 5 oz solo cup with hole. Label them with names. Fill the with soil-less mixture lightest the best. Stick the leaf into pot down an inch or so into middle . I water with warm/hot water threw . Let pot drain. Place them on tray or plastic clear box under lights, keep warm, heat mats are healpful in Winter. Will grow and porgate in natural light too. Be careful windowsills get ten degrees colder than room, remove them from windows at night in Winter.
I keep Mom leaf with them until Mom leaf dies. This gives the babies a chance to grow faster into more healthy plants

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

My baies have grown more sense these pictures by Spring they will be good size for their new homes !!

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Though grown for it's beautiful stunning variegated foliage the flowers are gorgous and plentyful long lasting too !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

The plant is a Treasure

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.