January's Daily Weather # V, Wet, wacky and almost gone.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Darius, it looks beautiful and humbling! The bridge looks pretty scary! We have a swinging bridge not far from us in Columbus Junction, Iowa. I bout fell out of my seat laughing over ''you otter be here!''

Kiska, that is beautiful!!! DH herded me into the truck and I didn't have time to try a close up. I love it!

(Zone 3b)

Darius - what a fantastic virtual tour of Grandfather Mountain...love the bridge, too..thanks for that link...
Temp rising, 42 degrees now; the driveway is too icy to take a "walk around", but the deck is now shovelled off and clear..I had lunch on the deck; sunlight on my face - wonderful day. A gain of 5min - 26 seconds...
Yesterday's drive.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kiska – I love that touch of pink on Pioneer Peak – beautiful picture! Great picture of your hoar frost! Where does that road lead?
Billy – Thank you for explaining hoar frost. It’s a lot prettier than it’s name.
Darius – I remember seeing Grandfather Mountain! My mom and I went to Richmond and took a very scenic route from Houston. I was 13. Great trip!

Forgot the weather!
Tonight...Increasing cloudiness. A 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s inland...Mid 40s coast. East winds 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2007 6:58 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ooh Kiska! Nice macro of the frigid fractals! :)

Darius: Your mention of Grandfather Mntn. brought back memories of many family vacations spent up in the Blue Ridge when we were kids. I was terrified of that bridge! Of course the kids wanted always to go to Maggie Valley and Sliding rock!!

I'm so happy that my description of this morning's surroundings as "dim" brought a smile. It just seemed to describe things best. Please feel free to adapt it as needed. :)

We still have an ice warning for tomorrow morning. Should be a fun drive to work. I am so over this chilly weather. Patience is not one of my virtues.

Deb

(Zone 3b)

MySharona - love seeing your trees covered in moss - very interesting. My car is parked very near the end of the road., it ends a few miles in front of the car. I was about 5 miles from my house and was unsure if it had been plowed much further on. With a belated response to an earlier question, our mhome is a Coachmen.
Thanks, Deb, for the use of "dim"....
End of the road down the hill a ways.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 35.1°(F), seems as if since I changed the batteries in the receiver for the shed both are picking up the porch unit, I will investigate when it gets warmer and brighter and I am not so tired. Until then it is porch temps only.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The photo of the bridge reminded me of another--this one found in West Virginia. It's at Nelson Rocks Preserve, a privately run climbing park.

The link is here: http://www.nelsonrocks.org/index.html

It's 18º here with the snow piled high as a shetland pony's eye.

Here's a photo from the Nelson Rocks site..........

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

And one more..........

music2keep!!! Where are You?!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh golly! Vertigo. Not for all the tea in China. :O
Deb

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yeah, where's Joey?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kiska, love the highway!

Sharon, love the close up of the moss. (I see none of us want to spell sphagnum) :))

Kiska, that looks like a binocular hill. Look thru binoculars right before descending a steep hill. NOT to be attempted by Kelli! :))

Dyson dark and it's snowing ever so lightly. The snow has no moisture and could be blown like duck down.

Early, I think I can, I think I can.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah, where's Joey?

Early- there is absolutely no way I'd get on that bridge! DH wants to know if it's in PA.

I d-mailed Joey today, but so far no response.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

OMG, you would never get me out on that bridge. Shudder just to think of walking over it.

Sunny
No wind
40 F
and the snow have started to melt away, hope it keeps up this way.
Janett

Billy - LOL - I don't want to spell it either!!

Today
Mostly cloudy. Breezy...warmer. Chance of showers in the morning...then showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some strong thunderstorms may produce gusty winds and heavy rainfall in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 71. South winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Love the "Frozen Fractals" - both the picture and the aliteration. LOL
and of course all road pictures are favs.
Sharon you get such great sky pics.

Well, our dim day has passed and the sun is out again.
Low 14* Hi [predicted] 38*
WC also says we have a 40% chance of snow showers starting around 3 this afternoon.
I'll let you know if the snow materializes - I just checked the satelitte picture and don't know where this snow is supposed to come from. We have clear skies to the west north and south of us???
At the very least a dusting of snow would give me something to take picures of. LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Gray and snowing the tempothingys say 43.3° but I don't believe them for half a heart beat (even less time than a New York Minute). How come do I gotta keep adding things to my dictionary to get rid of the red lines?

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 3:11 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Another magnificent sky Sharon! Anyone notice how often the sky looks like an ocean?

Observed at: Muscatine, Iowa
Elevation: 548 ft / 167 m

19 °F / -7 °C
Clear
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 9 °F / -13 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the WSW
Pressure: 29.82 in / 1010 hPa
Windchill: 7 °F / -14 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

It's a sunny, fairly nice day today.

You might say it's rootin tootin compared to what it's going to be. :)) Just don't tell him he's not moving.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: One of your best skies ever!
Billyporter: Love the little horseman (and a beautiful sky to boot). :)

Dreary, dull and dim all day here so far. Constant chilly rain. Good for the plants; not so good for my mood. We didn't get the ice they had warned about though, so I should stop complaining. ;)

Nice and mild overnight. More "normal", but nights will be heading back down into the 20s next week, they say.
Deb

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Brand new thread for February http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/689366/
I thought I posted this earlier. Sorry,
Sidney

Thank you for the compliments on the sky picture! I keep my eyes aimed up most of the time!
Billy – great picture! Is that your little one? Chicken soup sounds wonderful, I might make some tomorrow.
Kiska – beautiful mountain! A haunting picture… The last picture does look like eyelashes!

TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 14 IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM
Includes the Counties: Duval, Nassau
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville

Tonight...Breezy and warmer with showers and isolated thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms May produce gusty winds...Heavy rainfall and possible tornadoes. Lows in the lower 60s. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Lost power 3 times tonight...hopefully it won't happen again :P

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hang in there Sharon!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Well, so far yesterday's forecast of snow followed by ice overnight hasn't happened. We did get about an inch of snow (not 6") but it was gone by late afternoon. However, the current radar map shows more headed our way. Meanwhile it is merely overcast, wet and yucky. Currently 36º, high of 39º then a low only to 19º tonight.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Sunny beautifull day here
Temp is 42 F
The snow keeps on melting away and the birds are singing.
A lot of migrating birds have come back and I do so hope they havent got it wrong
since spring seems to be 3 1/2 month early
Janett

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Sitting on a low of 2 degrees this morning. No wind so no wind chill. The heat pumps are getting a work out this week! They kick off now and then for awhile. There's ice fishing if your hearts into it. I'll go to church then watch the super bowl later today. Sounds much warmer than ice fishing. Although if I had one of those little wind protecting houses and the fish were biting I might try it..........Now I'm just not thinking right am I!!!!!! Have a great Super Bowl Sunday everyone.

Cuckoo

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sugar made a new link above everyone. We don't want to lose you!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

New February Link is here; http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/689366/
;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.