January's Daily Weather # V, Wet, wacky and almost gone.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I wish we got them! I think the orioles are our prettiest migrants. Otherwise the cardinal, our winter bird, always cheers me up! I had a scarlet tanager one year only, and I'm hoping to get pictures of the grosbeak if he comes thru again!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Ric – several people have the flamingo planters here. I think they’re very cute with plants in their bellies! Bottle candles…the bottom of the bottle has been cut off. The tea light holder is attached to a chain and a hook…lower the hook the tea light drops out of the bottom of the bottle. Someone has made a lot of money on this idea and it wasn’t me!
Sidney – thanks for the links. I’ll d-mail you in a few minutes!
Early – thanks for the link – it’s a great tribute. It’s always a treat to look at your pictures, very dramatic and beautiful.
Kiska – beautiful picture. Glad the moose seems to be doing better.
Janett – I hope your shoulder gets better soon. I had therapy for 6 months on mine a couple of years ago. Didn’t have full movement in the rotator cup for almost 3 years. I couldn’t reach the middle of my back without pain/discomfort.
Billy – your amaryllis is beautiful. I love their huge blooms!
Deb – what kind of beautiful bird is that? I never really think of space just going on and on….I’m still bummed about Pluto not being a planet anymore. I like Pluto…:)

I've missed something here...what?
...since Holland built the last big gate to the sea they have changed the temps and currens(sp) in the surounding waters so hurricanes and Tornados will occure more and more.

FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 9 AM EST MONDAY ...LAKE WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON... ...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING...
Includes the Counties: Nassau, Duval, Clay, St Johns
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville, Green Cove Springs, St Augustine

Tonight...Partly cloudy and windy early in the evening then clearing. Colder. Lows around 30 inland...In the lower 30s coast. West winds 15 to 25 mph Decreasing to 10 to 15 mph. Wind chills 23 to 28 after midnight.

The plants are tucked in, I'll check on them in a little while to make sure all are still covered. It is windy outside.

The bunny rainmeter is showing 1/2" form lat night to this morning. Our high today was 61 we're at 55 now.

Egrets in the greenway.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Deb – I was jumping up and down just looking at the picture! He’s(?) gorgeous, wish we were blessed with their passing through!
Janett – Nice to meet you!
little splash of color!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

MySharona
Most of Hollands landmass is below sea leveland they have diked(canaled) it and made HUGE walls so the sea wouldnt flood the land. Some of these walls are soil/stone/whatever some of theses walls are metall and can be oped/closed.

http://www.google.se/search?q=flooding%20holland&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=sv&sa=N&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=iw

When you change the natural ways of flooding and currens and move/change landmass in that quantity that the Dutch has it WILL affect the weather too as the weather is formed by heat/cold and currense in the waters and the temp/heating from land.

Naturally most of Holland could be flooded for months and has ben foe tousands of years.
Janett

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 11:58 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: He's definitely a he. The females are just pale greenish.
Someone in Melbourne has Painted Buntings in the winter, so I bet you could attract them, too. She posted some pics in the Birdwatcher forum. I'm told they like white millet and she says they like sunflower hearts. They seem to like both platform and tube feeders. Give it a try! :)
Deb

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Sugar, I haven't seen anything from 'salvialover'. I got the impression she lived in one of the newer sections. Wish she could/would post.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sharon, beautiful bunting! I've only seen the Indigo Buntings albeit rarely.

(Zone 3b)

4pm and still light out - what a lift in spirits even w/out the sunshine. 30*F and the clouds never amounted to anything except gray skies.
So many pretty photos already; such a great variety of places and scenes, always fun and informational..
Up on the roof/ DH and DGS today's effort at snow removal..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I can't remember the last time I made it over here. LOL. It got to the high 20s today. Perfect weather for hiking in crunchy snow and slick ice. We finally had our hike at work today. 3 miles in less than 4 hours. It was fun and we saw lots of neat birds and plants. It was also brutal cause we were having to work hard to make sure we didn't get stuck or fall on the ice. The snow was several iches thick still in some places. But all in all it was fun and I can't wait til the next one next month.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Kiska, That used to be a familiar picture when I lived in the Adirondacks. Shoveling snow off the roof before it became too heavy.

Debin, for a minute I thought you had a parakeet there. What a handsome birdie.
Sharon, what a great place to go bike riding... I did get outside today, but it wasn't as warm as yours looks to be.

I'm about ready to turn in for the night, and just checked outside. There is an inch or so of snow and currently 15ºF, with snow flurries for the next day or more.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Buck up Darius!
It was 14ºF a few hours ago here...now it's up to 16ºF and supposed to keep rising all night to about 20ºF by Daybreak.
We should break freezing by early evening!

Hopefully that will be the last of the low teens for a while..... hopefully.... lol

Ric

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Stay warm my friends!
I believe Julie, aka Salvia_lover is Stateside. I just checked her page and her subscription isn't active.
http://davesgarden.com/members/salvia_lover/ I sent a d-mail.
;)

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It's 18º now at 11:00pm. Since mid-afternoon we have received nearly a foot of new lake effect snow. The lake effect snow warning is in effect until 7:00pm Monday so we could have a lot more by the time it's over. I shoveled the walks and driveway tonight but it's cold enough that the snow is the dry, light variety. Night, night............

Conneaut Creek...........during this afternoons snow storm.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sidney, I miss her posts and updates on her magic yard and lovely kids.
Conneaut Creek is becoming one of my favorite spots. thanks EB

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark & cold 18.0°(F) shed, 27.3°(F) porch, the wind is blowing at times.

Kiksa – did they get the snow off the roof? Looks like a hefty job they have at hand.
Darius – oooh it’s cold out there!
Early – that looks like a Chirstmas card! So pretty.

It’s dark, it’s cold and I’m freezing! We’re currenty at: (Thanks to Sidney for finding my area at wunderground!)

34.3 °F / 1.3 °C
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 8 °F / -14 °C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9.7 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 12.5 mph / 20.1 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa
Windchill: 29 °F / -2 °C

FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING ...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM EST TUESDAY...
Includes the Counties: Nassau, Duval
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon!

Sharon - love the greenway photos - they're always so serene :-) What a wonderful place to go for walks or bikerides!

Debi - the painted bunting is absolutely gorgeous - never saw one in person. Lucky you! I'd be jumping up and down too! lol

Janett - nice to see you again - sorry to hear about your shoulder problems. I'm astounded by the unwillingness of your doctor to help you ....... doesn't seem right at all does it??

Sally - they do have 5 day forcast but I neve pay much attention to them since they're usually not accurate ;-)

Kiska - glad the moose is still with you - if it has a broken ankle - is there a chance that it could heal?? That is a lot of snow on the roof! Never occurred to me that you might need to shovel snow off the roof! It never sticks long enough here for that fortunately.

It's still warming up here - up to 48°F this morning, still wet and a bit breezy. Sunrise was at 10:18 and sunset will be a 5:04 so we're gaining a lot of daylight already - by mid february the darkest time will be behind us :-)

Have a nice day everyone!

rannveig

Well, there is frost on the roofs again!

We're at 33 with a wind chill of 27! It's a little chilly!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

7:am; 28*F, dark and calm.
Rann; sad news to report on the moose. We saw that it was down alongside the road, perhaps hit by a car; people were there removing it.
The snow load on the roof is frozen in place; they were able to break large chunks off,but a lot remains; it will stay in place till end of winter.
MySharona, the gorgeous colors of the bird and beautiful greenbelt is wonderful. And, more frost there, just amazes me..
Janett- nice to "see and hear" from you again..hope you can get the health problem worked out..
E_B, love the creek as well...
Dyson - Sounds a bit like winter there:)
darius, still snowing? Hope you're doing well.
henryr10, temps still a little low there? Winter will do that in some places :)
One of our 3 teenage grandsons lending a hand at snow removal yesterday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Kiska you roofs must be built pretty sturdy to take all that weight without falling into the house.

I hate winter and want the warmth we have had back:
Snowed all night
Sunny and Freezing 28F
Janett

Snow has ceased for now, just flurries for 3-4 days and then the winter weather comes back (according to my neighbor). She said it got down to 3ºF overnight with a windchill of -13º. Glad I was abed!

(Zone 3b)

Janett_D; most are able to take quite a load, but, of course, there are exceptions. Our daughter's well braced, shored up, "canvas" storage unit is now collapsed over all their summer "stuff"...it's lasted for a few winters...hope you'll have the warmer temps..
dairus; minus 13 wind is hard to take for any length of time; just the wind is hard enough to take.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sweeping snow off the roof - goodness! They say that the buildings in northern Europe have steep roofs to let the snow slide off. Are there any building like that around where you live, Kiska?

We got a half inch of rain on Saturday. Yay! I don't know how much that will sink into the soil, but at least we had a couple days where the evaporation rate will be low. The newspaper says that it is supposed to be windy on Wed and "very windy" on Fri.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 29, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
51 °F / 11 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 42 °F / 6 °C
Wind: Calm

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Barely 30* and getting dark already. It usually stays light until 5:30 pm. We had a brief snow, but it was pretty while it lasted. My neighbor's pines across the alley.

Kiska! That is some snow!!!

Early, does all the lake effect snow keep your water tables high? I love the winding creek!

Sharon, I love the red trees in the background! What are they? Love the bird!

Kiska, all I want to know is if they think it's going to rain!!! Aawww, poor moose. Nice looking Grandson! Love the ''vaporizing'' snow. LOL!

Darius, that was us Sunday! COLD!!!

Poor Kelli, wind again. We've been windy to breezy ourselves. I managed to burn wastebaskets today without embers landing on anyone's roof.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

It's still snowing here billy, and the forecast doesn't make me want to go outside much later in the week, lol.

YEAH!!! Janett's back! Whoohoohoooo!

mg

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Well it is dark, as I look out the window a faint line of light is disappearing over the ridge to the west. 34.3°(F) shed (and dropping fast), 37.0°(F) porch. Was cold when I left for work this AM and I expect the same in the darkness tomorrow. Everyone stay warm as possible. Kelli - got a palm tree image for us?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Mornin_gayle, the wind just started to howl here. Our snow left a dusting and I don't want to go out this weekend either!!! I'm glad I topped off the feral cat's food. They're going to need a full belly!

24* and almost dark!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: Anhinga? (Great photo, btw.)

Kelli: Rain! Congratulations! Hope the wind doesn't last.

Sounds like winter's still hanging on.

Only got to 43F today, which is unusually chilly for us. Another good freeze tonight, low of 27.
Back up nearer normal for us the rest of the week. Last nights mid-20s low did in all the stuff that was sprouting and blooming. :(

Deb

Kiska – did your GS’s get all the snow moved? One is in a t-shirt - the other is in a coat!
Darius – that cold would have put me in bed too!! Seeking much heat! LOL!
Kelli – glad you got some rain – little is better than none! Also, you’ve had a nice break from the winds, shame they are going to start up again.

It's 39 now....Brrrrrr!
FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM EST TUESDAY (8-12hours)

Tonight...Mostly clear and very cold. A hard freeze inland and a freeze along the coast. Low 25. Northeast winds 5 mph shifting to the northwest after midnight.

turtle

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

2:30/ bright light; patches of blue through-out the day; 38 degrees...thank goodness no rain....
Kelli- the snow is frozen on the roofs, for the most part, and doesn't slide. We have a metal roof, and in a month or so, when it remains above 32*F for long periods of time, the snow/ice will drop off. Bobby is using a shovel but the ice is quite thick.
The 1/2" rain w/no wind, probably did do some good..hang on to your hat, later on, it looks like.
billyporter,, glad you like the hot water vaporizing...it has to be a hot liquid, otherwise, the liquid will "clump up"...not too impressive. The snowfall there looks beautiful on the trees..love it. The wind will soon take a toll on that beautiful view..
mornin_gayle, seeing the chart, sure looks like winter there for a while, too...do you like the cold?
MySharona-just read your post; they did as much snow as they could, still a ton up there;
The turtle has escaped me; is he camoflaged in the water or the grasses? Your temp is one degree warmer than here :)
Grandson taking a break.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Deb - yes it is!

Live Oaks are everywhere here.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well after a very cold day yesterday it turned out pretty nice today.
☼ and 28 w/ almost no wind.

We're going to be, like most here, 5-10° lower than the average (High 39° Low 22°) for at least 7 days.
Looks like we're paying for all that warm weather we HAD been having.

kiska I love those deep snow shots.
Sharon that Turtle would be a puck here after yesterday! lol
Ric

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Currently 21 degrees. Not much different than all day.

Currently At 8:57PM
[ More ]
Partly Cloudy
21°F
RealFeel®
16°F
Winds: WSW
at 5mph
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 6° F
Pressure: N/A
Visibility: 10 Miles
The winds did die down. We are supposed to get down around 10-11 degrees later this week. Still no snow cover.

(Zone 3b)

MySharona - I found the turtle :)! I overlooked the branch and was looking in the water.
Gorgeous sunset going on now at 5pm; such a treat to see color again..32*F
Ric - the deep snow is pretty but certainly limits access. Not many turnouts are plowed, neither are sidewalks, except right in front of the stores, no shoulders to pull off onto;(for picture taking); luckily not much traffic so I just stop and quickly click and get going if there's no one behind me. But, we love it no matter...
se_eds, bet you wish there was snow cover as it starts to get colder.
Table/Chair
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kiska – I just saw your post about the turtle! It splashed in the water after. Don’t think it was too keen on having it’s picture taken :P You’ll need to dig out the table and chairs next!

We have frost, but it’s DysonDark and the pics aren’t coming out~We’re at 32 with a wind chill at 28 right now.

FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING

Today...Considerable high clouds. Highs in the lower 50s. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

Shy otter - first time I've been able to get a picture of one in the greenway!

Thumbnail by MySharona

We had this pretty pink sunrise for about 30 seconds...now it's gray out

Thumbnail by MySharona

Here's the frost!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

7:30am, dark, the strong, gusting winds have died down, 34*F and dripping....
MySharona-frost again- hopefully your plants are tough enough to take those nippy mornings...the sunrise is beautiful...Ours is at 9:24...a gain today of 5m 23 seconds.
A brief December sunrise.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

An otter!!! That greenway of yours is a wonderful source of entertainment isn't it?
Boy-O the frost is getting waaaay south in Florida. This freezing thing is going to make oranges darn scarce.. first California, now Florida. I'm sitting here eating one right now. Looking at the wonder of it, such goodness under the skin, juice trickling down my chin. Ooops, TMI.

Sun shining, sky clear. Storminess wafting up from Arizona hasn't reached us - tho it is predicted to be snow/raining this afternoon. We shall see???
Low this morning, a frosty 21* It's 25* out there right now.
I'll let you know if any of the precip shows up.

Kiska, hope you weren't planning on lunch on the deck? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.