January's Daily Weather # V, Wet, wacky and almost gone.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well we've done passed the 200 post mark again. This is the last one for January I do believe. The wet stuff is headed my way as I type and we never turn down rain here.
37 ft / 11 m
59.7 °F / 15.4 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 46 °F / 8 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
We've been in a drought for several years.
I am however considering getting further from eventually rising sea leavels.
I bummed this great photo from Ric in Ohio. I just love to watch flamingos, but they really don't like the snow.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have no idea how cold it is outside but I can tell you this much. COLD!! And the wind is just howling too.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sidney given your location I can really understand your wanting to move. This quote also concerns me (even if my family didn't have a farm):

Quoting:
Robert Mendelsohn is an environmental scientist at Yale who specializes in modelling the regional impacts of climate change. “The drought issues are one of the great uncertainties,” he says. “We know precipitation will increase, but we don't know exactly where.”

Lately many here eye the rains that Quebec having been getting with jealousy and would give their eye-teeth to see 1/20th of fall here. Last summer I read that pumpkins down east (Canada and in the United States) rotted in the fields from too much rain and in the west, where supplemental water wasn't available and the temperatures were extremely high, they also didn't produce. Could post many other crops that ran into similar problems but that one sticks in my mind.

Well Pam,
A staple of my garden is water crystals. They are an acrylic polymer that absorb 50 times their weight in water and then release the water as the plants need it.
I will still want a sandy yard, so maybe El Paso.
Sidney

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Quoting:
A staple of my garden is water crystals.
........tempting for my fav plants here but I can't see individual farmers investing in hundreds of truckloads of them. ;S

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney - water crystals? What are they and where can I get them?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I can vouch for the Pumpkin problem.
Our neighbor had at least 2 dozen rot on the vine.
3 Pumpkins made it thru.
On the plus side we had a bumper crop of Tomatos and the Aroids were stellar.
If our Cactus and Succulents had been outdoors instead of in a Hoop enclosed area they too would have rotted.

It's 36° here and the winds have swung around from the WNW and gusting to 26 MPH.
That will change to North here soon.
We're looking at a high of 30° tomorrow and Snow.
They're forecasting below normal for at least the next 10 days.
Lows next week thru Weds..... mid teens.......... Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Flamingos are our call sign.
We have dozens of different ones in the yard.
Here's two planters we picked up at the Cincinnati Flower Show.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Those planters are cool!!

Sharon I did a mini Florida co-op with 55#s of them last summer. I believe I have a pound left if you want them. http://watersorb.com/index.htm
If you buy them at the big stores they are about $15 for 8 oz dry.
Here are Watersorbs prices http://watersorb.com/prices.htm
I love their site.
Sidney

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric, I love those flamingos. Sad to say, I remember when every yard in every village had them in the front yard.... many years ago.

My SIL is on the phone with my husb, In West Va they had temps in the 60's today. We were supposed to get up into the 40's.

Grey Pa. winter day here. Temps did not go above 30. It is warming slightly tonight - now up to 31 degrees. This is usually a sign we will get snow. We really have not had a substantial snowfall this years. Supposed to be cold through the end of this month.

Early Bloomer, I've been trying to resize your pretty picture for my laptop background. I guess I'll have to send it here to keep it from 'tile-ing'.
It sure is pretty.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

51.4° (F) shed, 57.2° (F) porch, when the sun leaves the metal shed it loses temp quickly.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Our forecast keeps changing!
Now it says it'll get up to 63 tomorrow! Crazy! Then down to 23 overnight. This time of year, "normal" would be mid 50s daytime, mid 30s overnight. I can count the "normal" days this winter on one hand.

Poor plants. Even my impatiens were sprouting up, until the frost Thurs night...

I shouldn't complain, at least we've been getting a little rain, finally. (But if I didn't complain about the weather, I'd have to find something else! ;> )

Deb

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Sidney............Glad you liked the photo. If it didn't work out for you here's one from the same place that is better suited for a screensaver.

I love music and listen to many styles and types including modern folk. Ellis Paul is a favorite so I did a search for him on YouTube and found a video called "Gods Promise." Woodie Gruthrie's daughter came across some songs that her father had written but never put to music. She has been giving them to various musicans and they write the music and complete the songs. She gave this one to Ellis Paul and he did an amazing job with it. It has at least 8-10 references to weather so I thought I'd share it with you.

Here's the link if you're curious.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-4WksmFkk

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 11:49 AM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Most excellent link - thank you!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

45.0°(F) shed, 51.4°(F) porch, I have got to get out of this house today.

(Zone 5a)

Hello everyone!

It's still wet, not so windy though and still 46°F! I have no idea of what the long-term forcast is ... I just take it one day at a time. The weather changes here so fast it's really impossible to do an accurate forcast a week ahead anyway.

EB - beautiful photo and Ric - very cool flamingos :-)

rannveig

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

We had an inch of rain over night. Just stopped a few minutes ago. Beautiful morning. Pic below is the western sky as the rain was clearing.
Now 45*F. Next two nights tho are s'posed to be in the low 20s...which is bad news for my azaleas. :(

Rann: Very odd. At 9am, your temp and mine - almost exactly the same!

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Wonderful link Early_Bloomer.........God kept his promise of cold and blowing weather today (and maybe some snow too).

18 °F / -8 °C
N/A
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 12 °F / -11 °C
Wind: 17 mph / 28 km/h / 7.7 m/s from the WNW
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 3 °F / -16 °C

Today I think I'm going to stay inside......
Cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries late this afternoon. Blowing snow late this morning and this afternoon. Wind west 30 km/h gusting to 70 becoming northwest 50 gusting to 70 this afternoon. High minus 5.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we aren't 'much' warmer than Moose Jaw here... but luckily won't have that Wind!
21° (Wind Chill 7°) looking for a high of 25°..
Snow showers have been popping in and out. I think we have maybe 1" so far....
but it's coming down again.

The Forecast is bouncing around so much it's hard to say how long we will be seeing this below normal weather.
Last night they said upper 20's - mid 30's for 10 days. Now they are saying 45 and rain Friday......

Ric

(Zone 3b)

9am, light out, gray clouds ready for some kind of action, it's up to 30*F, so could end up w/either snow or rain.
Sidney, that's interesting about the the water crystals; something new to me..
ric, love flamingos you've posted; the ones in the snow are pretty cute.
rann- glad there's no wind...46 is pretty decent for winter, isn't it?
DebinSC - such pretty sky/trees...for a short time yesterday, there were patches of blue, so that's a sure sign of a new season approaching. Few blue sky days during the winter..
E_B: love those trees/snow, too.
Lilypon - With such a large country, weather's sure different all across Canada; my brother's area has received more than a foot of snow over average snowfall; with 9 feet to date..they've been drifted in for a week, a couple of weeks ago. Same with our area, been years since there's been this much.
Dyson, did you get out of the house?
The moose was here all day yesterday; he limps but is eating. He napped nearby, on the other side of the fence, as a few of the GKids played. He'd look up occassionally, but wasn't nervous.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Kiska I'll take your brother's snowfall....... the prairies have always had periods of drought: (ie: Dust Bowl Years) http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-70-1407/disasters_tragedies/drought/ The videos won't play on my puter for some reason tho.

but this one is different: http://www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/drought/drought01sk_e.htm The temperatures are higher now in the summer (for longer periods of time) and the high humidity was unknown here until recently.

By October 31, most agricultural areas of Canada received adequate precipitation (Fig.3) to help recharge soil moisture. However some regions continue to have a soil moisture deficit heading into freeze up due in large part to extremely dry summer conditions. These regions include northern British Columbia, northwest Alberta, southwest Saskatchewan, parts of southern Manitoba and western Ontario. The winter precipitation forecast from Environment Canada (Fig. 4) is characterized by below average precipitation in most of western Canada, near normal precipitation in central Canada and above normal precipitation in Atlantic Canada.

2006/2007 Water Supply and Forage Outlook

At the time of freeze up, extremely low water supplies were being experienced in the southern regions of the Prairies as well as in northern B.C and Alberta. If forecast are correct, conditions in Northern B.C should improve considerably with spring runoff, however a drier than normal winter in the southern Prairies will result in an amplification of the problems this region is currently experiencing. Above normal snow fall will be required to recharge soil moisture and fill dugouts.

As with water supplies, above normal precipitation in northern B.C. will improve the situation however, if pastures have been over grazed through the 2006 drought, pasture will take significant time to recover. Poor pasture conditions in the southern parts of Saskatchewan and Manitoba will remain poor unless above average winter and spring precipitation is not received.
http://www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/drought/winter2006_e.htm

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 1:11 PM

Well, thanks for the new picture EB, it has it's place on my screen saver right now.
Well, Wacky is an understatement!
It's 60.6 °F / 15 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 33 °F / 1 °C
Wind: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h from the NW
Wind Gust: 17.4 mph / 28 km/h
Tonight we get down into the 20s????
Uck!! Guess I'll have to get out and take those coleus cuttings I have been putting off.
However It rarely gets as cold as the WU or first coast news predicts.
Also this brick house does hold heat for the goodies I nestle up against it.
Sidney

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Hi guys :0)
This winter has been nuttier the the last one and it seams to be the case all over our beautiflu globe.
The temp here have been between freeze to 50 F and mostly sunny weather. Christmas day I was actually out and weeded the last flowerbeds.
I have had dandelions and weeds flower untill a week ago, its so nutty.
About ten days ago we got a storm with huricane gusts, ripped the skylight window off AGAIN, luckely the landlord have closed the skylight with an inner sealing on the middle floor so the wind didnt make us close the house up.
Last weekend the snow came so now they cant fix the skylight as its to dangerous to go up on the stoneslate roof

About what happened to my shoulder, I still havent got it fixed :( I went to the ortho and he confirmed that it wasent my carpal tunnel as I had NO problems with it when he tested it, He sent me to X-ray and then said that due to the angle of my collarbone he suspected that the cartlidge between the shoulder and arm was damaged. I asked him what he was going to do about it and he said NOTHING. and that he refered me back to the GP Dr that stated it was my carpal tunnel. I asked the ortho if he wasent allowed to do anything and he said he was but he didnt want to do anything anyway and that he was still going to refer me back to the GP and let him find out what was the problem.

You just waite it gets even nuttier.... I asked him(ortho) if he reallly tought that the first Dr the one that I had been fighting with for several months and told that he was an ididot really would agnoulidge(sp) his HUGE misstake and find any problems with my shoulder this time and admitte his misstake and refer me back to the Ortho for shoulder damage when he was absolutly possitive that it was my carpal tunnel for six months. his answere was:: probebly not but I am still sending you back there.

I asked my Socialworker when I told her about my DR:s Does it require a phd in stupidity these days to be a Dr? as I really start to wonder about there sanity. I am going to get help to sort out my disability from a place trough the social called CSR and they can refer me to the right Dr without going trough these idiots it will just take a bit longer time.

Today its been snowing all day
Temp is belowe freeze
Hugs
Janett

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It's 26º right now with a big streamer of lake effect snow moving through. I checked the radar map and it stretches from Detroit to right about here. The sun has peeked through a few times today and I hoping for a little more at sunset. Here's a photo I took in the backyard a few minutes ago.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Here's the streamer of lake effect snow shown on the weather radar. I located just to the left of the I-79 sign. Lake effect snow can rell be a hit or miss proposition. I might get 18" while a couple of miles away they only get a few inches--or visa-versa.

early_bloomer

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, we were really windy yesterday too. It was still breezy this morn and is wind chill cold!!!

We had 2* when I got up at 6:30 am. It's now windy and almost 16*. I am so glad to be in!

Yep, pumpkins in Iowa rotted too. Ric, those planters are so neat! Real eye catchers.

Rann, I wish our weathermen would only predict one or two days in advance. The weather always changes and is constantly updated.

Oh Deb, that is beautiful!!!

Oh Kiska, equally beautiful!!!

Hi Janett, so nice to see you back! I thought about you a lot and wondered where you were. I'm so sorry your shoulder problem hasn't been resolved. I can't believe no one can fix it!

My amaryllis bloomed yesterday. Zoe is very interested, but hasn't bit it yet.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

East Branch of Conneaut Creek earlier this afternoon. The small beech tree saplings hold on lth their leaves for most of the winter and provide a little color on a dreary winter day.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 3:59 PM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Hi Janett, I haven't seen you in a while. Sorry to hear you are still having 'idiot doctor' problems.
Maybe a new doctor will be more adept - especially at listening to a patient.

I heard about your hurricane force winds. Is that a normal thing? One channel made quite a lot of the storm and another acted like it was business as usual. And Moscow is only now getting their first January snow storm. wacky weather indeed.

Here, we're pretty much on a normal track, cold, not much snow... would like to see more snow on our mountains.. maybe some new this week up there.
Today we are at 45* this afternoon with not a cloud in the blue.
~Blooms

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Janett!!! I'm SO glad you see you again! I've been worrying about you and your shoulder. I'm so sorry that it still hasn't been taken care of. :-( I hope the social worker can get you into a doctor that will actually care and can help you!!!

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

hi blooms
No hurricane strenght in any kinds of wind is FAR from normal around here. but since Holland built the last big gate to the sea they have changed the temps and currens(sp) in the surounding waters so hurricanes and Tornados will occure more and more.

Discovery channel took up this and showed that just two months after the last gate was in place the first hurricane hit the Dutch(Holland) shore and they also showed that up here they will increase both is size and strenght over the years.
Janett

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Probably they were warned ahead of time... sometimes the jetties they build in Florida do the exact opposite they were supposed to -- like depositing sand on the wrong side and the waves scooping away in a different spot than expected. something as big as the sea gates are almost bound to have effects. Unwanted effects.

But am just so glad to have you back posting with us.

Has anyone heard from Julie aka 'salvialover' ? haven't heard from her since that big unpleasantness in Israel. Isn't that a PC way of putting it? ;-)

Gotta go google plantet warming on the other plantets. a friend told me to check it out.
~Blooms

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Northwestern Missouri is cold today. Low was 5 degrees with plenty of windchill. It's currently 20 degrees and partly cloudy.

I was wondering about that silly groundhog and what the upcoming weather prediction will be. The weather is pretty fickled these days so checking on the groundhog and his shadow in February might be the way to go for upcoming weather predictions! Lots of people read the Farmers Almanac for weather predictions too.Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

Cuckoo

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I am!!!

For us, at least the groundhog brings a day of sun. :))

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

billyporter your right about that groundhog. Tell you the truth I'm ready for spring now. It's so cold and I want it to warm up again.

Cuckoo

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Man it's COLD out there!
I just got back in from moving a few pots to more sheltered areas.
It's 18° (Wind Chill 3°) w/ a 25 MPH wind.
So much for the High of 29...LOL!

The Greenhouses are holding temps well.
Glad I got a new duct in the Porch House though.... it's 64 out there, 50 in the Hoop House.

Ric

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Billyporter said: "Does any one besides me get a little freaked out thinking about how outer space never ends?" I do. I try not to think about it too long; turns my brain inside out.

EB: Very pretty back yard photo, but brrrr!

We had a lovely day after the rain left. Sunny and mid-50s. I think the forecast for low 20s must be correct because the bird feeders were very busy today - that's usually a good predictor of a freeze for us.

Even this rare visitor showed up.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Brrrrr... it's COLD!

I had to go out to the root cellar to get butternut squash, sweet and white potatoes to make Roasted Winter Vegetables and even that short trip chilled my bones. Fortunately the other veggies like carrots are in the refridgerator and onions/garlic in the pantry. It's not really that cold (25ºF), just the windchill.

Janett! I've missed you, glad to see you post. Sorry the shoulder isn't better by now.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Deb, glad to know I'm not alone in the universe! :)) I should know the name of the bird. Painted Bunting? He's gorgeous!

Darius, that sounds delicious! I have butternut squash cooked, mashed, and in the freezer earmarked for pie!

I cooked a chicken for old fashioned soup! Especially now that the school kids are getting the flu!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 4:28 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Billyp: Exactly. Painted Bunting. I was jumping up and down when I saw him..and running for the camera at the same time.
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.