Inexpensive Heating Pad

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

it's horrible cold here..whine.
..looks like we bounce back to normal by the weekend.
Our plants and trees are blooming too. They seem to be defiant of the old man winter.

Anderson, IN(Zone 5b)

How are the mats working for you? I ordered one today, they had a 48 inch model too. I also ordered a dimmer switch from the same place. if I need it to adjust the temp.

Steve

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I got to the hardware store too late tonight, but was going to wire them up. I'm thinking I'll skip the heat control. In 6 or 7 weeks it will be one great big hot house here anyway. I am going to hook them up tommorrow... I keep getting side tracked, and side tracked from the side track ! I bought an LED red traffic light from the place, and have been looking for something to hook it up. It is 117 volts...would a 120 work for that or would it be too much? I am going to use it in the garden for lighting.
Rj

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

For all practical purposes 110VAC to 120VAC is the same.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay..good, because I bought the cord anyway. The light was from Canada, and I figured that it was pretty much in the 120 category.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

More lights for the patio RJ????? I still want to see those lights at night . . . maybe on our next visit . . . I do believe there was a glass of wine mentioned for my next visit. yes?????????

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is correct, mabe dinner too. Yes the night garden is one worth staying and visiting. I saw a traffic light (a red one_) at that place I bought the mat, and thought..that would make some killer garden lighting.. It's already water proofed, it's LED, no heat and low watts..and whoa..it was cheap!

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Sorry to jump in here ; but just a thought. before pluging it into AC outlet check to make sure it is AC or DC, But I'm relitively sure that if you had to buy the cord with it it would have the transformer with it.
Wouldn't want anyone to ruin a light, right off the bat. In the US the dc power equipment is usually labled 115 volts.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

hart posted this link elsewhere, for reptile heating tape / panels, it comes in different widths and wattages, and seems inexpensive, sold by the foot:

http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=3580040.10078*Un6EM0&product=Heating

randponder, good point about the AC/DC. I'm not familiar with alternating current for led lighting personally, but that doesn't mean too much.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah...good call on that ..thanks..it is all wired up with those u shaped connectors that slip underneath a screw. I was hoping to find something that would be compatable.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think someone was wanting to know how the traffic light I bought from the heat mat web site turned out... I couldn't be more pleased... It turns out that 118V is 120V...all in the same was a piece of cake...It's unobtrusive and throws out the uplighting I wanted.
rj
I couldn't be more pleased with the heat mats either, made completely water resistant...

This message was edited Mar 23, 2007 9:04 PM

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.