Show Me Your Feeders Pt. 3

Marlton, NJ

Mealy worms.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks!!

Cuckoo

Marlton, NJ

Just don't use the large size. I buy them at the bird store and some buy them at PetSmart or Petco.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's a nice bowl of mealies.. Orange-crowned Warbler takes her share..:-S

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

She drinks a couple oz. of hummer water every few days too.. She's the only taker, and she seems to love it!

Not a perfect pic, I was outside sneaking a shot from inside the gh. lol!

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi cuckoo! The yellow rumped is the only warbler that I recognize lol. I probably get other kinds and chalk them up to being goldfinches. I'm still learning! Once you get a glimpse of the yellow rump (which isn't too obvious in the pictures above) you will remember them! Here is a picture from my back deck of one showing its rump.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Debnes I love your Orange Crowned warbler! I'll have to go see if we get those too. Then study your pictures and keep my eyes peeled for one!

Here's another view of the aforementioned rump :-)

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Melbourne, FL

The male Painted Bunting in particular is very shy. I have a couple of males and several females that have come back to my feeder for the second winter.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Here are a male and female Painted Bunting.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

I read the favorite food of Painted Buntings is sunflower hearts.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics Gardenpom!!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Gardenpom: Great shots. Thanks for posting them! I've never been able to spot the female. You're so lucky to have more than one! This weekend was only the 2nd time I've ever seen one here.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Hello!

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Do birds have tongues? Or is that a seed in it's mouth?
Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Of course they have tongues LOL!

Great pics Debra!

Marlton, NJ

Debra, Heres a red bellied woodpeckers tongue. Nice pics!!!

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Hey listen guys, I was wondering something.

Since this Thread is turning into more of a daily pics thread intsead of a Feeder thread; why don't we just start a Daily Pics Thread?

I'm just as guilty as anyone for putting everyday pics in this one but what do you think?

Daily Pic Thread ? Yes or No

I vote YES

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I dunno Pelle, Sheila started it because she was wanting to see everyone's feeders. We still get people who just found the thread and want to show thiers.

A companion thread would be cool on Daily Basics yes!! Let's do it Pelle!

I have a couple in the kitty for a thread like that, :>

Marlton, NJ

Oh yes I meant for us to keep this one for feeders definitely. I'm sure we'll all be getting different feeders at one time or another and new people might have ones they want to show too. We could always come back here to tell which ones we think work best for certain birds or ones that annoy squirrels etc.

I don't know, if anyone has a better idea please tell us. I just thought we were straying from the topic.

We could also just keep it as it is; doesn't really matter. :-)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I think its a great idea! That would cut down on the length of these feeder threads. And the daily threads wouldn't get so long either. We can certainly still post feeder pictures - especially when we get new feeders!

I vote a big yes!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah Pelle, It is definatly inspired!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Absolutely!
DebinSC

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Sorry.....I'm guilty of posting daily birds......

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes, I guess i was thinking it was sort of...Show me what's AT your feeders! :)
DebinSC

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Most definately Pelle, we have much more to show than just feeders. But I am so elated that the thread aroused such interest. But all of us are anxious to share the daily photos too. If you build it we will come!

Phoenix, AZ

Pretty Birdie, Gardenpom!

Marlton, NJ

Debra your breaking my heart, I'm just as guilty.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I agree, Pell - if you start a daily bird thread we will follow you there!
Debra

Edited to say....to continue posting here, I'd have to go buy new feeders! LOL!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 7:13 PM

Marlton, NJ

I have so many old feeders that I don't use because I was unhappy with the design and results I could probably open a used feeder store.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Pelle, you probably could make enough money to buy several new ones!!

Marlton, NJ

Thats true Murmur. My DH is always telling me to try and sell all the things I don't use anymore.

Melbourne, FL

I think people are afraid to start too many topics....when they see a mention of something they happen to have a picture of they just want to join in. That's what happened with my Painted Buntings. I'm very much in favor of a Daily Thread for bird photos.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 8:24 PM

Marlton, NJ

Why don't you start it Gardenpom? Put that first pic of the Painted Male Bunting on it and the title would be Daily Pics.

Phoenix, AZ

Go for it! I'd contribute! Until the weather turns to 100 degrees and only the Cactus Wren are about.

Melbourne, FL

I think they should actually be pics from that day....mine is not. Someone should start one with a photo taken January 28th.

Marlton, NJ

It doesn't really matter. I just wanted to see such a colorful one on the title page. Besides, you see them everyday. Do it, please??

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I agree, Pelle - that picture would lure all sort of folks to the thread!!!

Melbourne, FL

Done!

Marlton, NJ

Here is the new DAILY PICS thread. Thanks Gardenpom!!!
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/688407/

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 8:43 PM

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This little male Redpoll is actually very narcissistic. He likes to have his picture taken. This is one of a half a dozen shots I took through the kitchen window, at less than 18", with a flash, after sun set. He seems to understand the window glass is an impenetrable barrier. While, the other Redpolls fly if I move on the other side of the room, this male doesn't let anything bother him.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.