Show Me Your Feeders Pt. 3

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh I love cedar waxwings!! And I love that sound they make - its not like any other bird. I think of it as a squeeky wheel sound. They always fly around here in flocks even during nesting time. But they are hard to get good pictures of because they stay up in the trees. Great photos debnes!!

Hi Teresa - I took mine through my living room wiindow. The last warm spell we had I went out and washed my windows and that really helped lol. Also I have changed my camera setting (thanks to Pell) to the "action" setting. And I have also switched my camera to the setting where it will take a seies of fast shots for as long as I hold the button down. It eats up a lot of the card but who cares - I just erase what I don't want. My chances of getting a good shot are a lot better that way. (it was either Trois or linthicum who taught me that one :-> ) I have learned so much on this forum!! Thanks y'all!!!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, my bluebirds do the fluff thing too. I have only seen one flock of cedar wax wings in my life. It was 35 miles away from my house. I think they look like little bandits. They are so cute. Are they seed eaters or what?

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I know they like berries and I'm not sure about insects. I have never seen them at a feeder. Apparently they are known to sit in a group on a tree branch and pass berries to each other down a line.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah the page i posted up there has more info on CWW and it says they are one of few kinds of birds that can live solely on fruit, and they digest the seeds instead of regurgitating them like many other birds do. That means they are serious fruit tree propagators. How cool is that?

Would be neat to have them around long enough to plant one here,, :-).

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

When there was a Ligustrum between me and the neighbor before it started creating problems and was cut down. The CWWs used to eat those and then roost in the pecan trees above our walkway. They do leave a mess, purple sploches everywhere. LOL!! It is worth it to see them, such a beautiful bird. They come down to a birdbath or stream to drink just like they eat; ALL together!! Safety in numbers I guess. I don't think a cat would approach the mass of squealing birds!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree Sheila, it's worth it. (Those Ligustrums were created for them in the first place.)

:-)

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Today I had a Flicker, a Hairy Woodpecker and a Chestnut Backed Chickadee sharing the suet!

Thumbnail by Murmur
Marlton, NJ

VERY Cool Murmur!!!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Loved your photo, Murmur!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

How neat to catch them together, good shot!

I just realized that Hairy is at the peanut feeder, not the suet cage - he does like it, though, too. Hair is a bit blurry - bad hair day, maybe? (groan)

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE AND RED-BREASTERED NUTHATCH

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Murmur: The flicker looks guilty! :) Never seen that variety of chickadee before.
Grassmussen: Nice shot! We have mostly Carolina chickadees here but I can't tell them apart. Red-breasted nuthatch is a new one for me also.

Thanks guys, I'd never see those birds if you didn't share your photos. :D

DebinSC
(This should be a Car. chick. if I picked the right thumbnail. ;>)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics guys!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I got pretty excited bout and hour ago because I spotted a painted bunting on the feeder. Of course, by the time I got there with my camera, he had flown. I will stalk him the rest of the day. Meanwhile, this is who was there when I arrived.....
DebinSC

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

He is cute Deb! But I bet he scared off the Bunting. Maybe next time.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love your suet combo pic Murmur!! Outstanding, and I'm with debin, that Flicker looks guilty! 8> LOL!

Debin cool ya saw a Bunting, maybe next time you'll get a shot, great pic of chick! My squirrel tries to steal all kinds of things, even the cherries I put on the tree, LOL! Sneaky lil rascal!

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Downy male eating suet today.

Thumbnail by MaryinLa
Princess Anne, MD

Hello to all. New member looking forward to seeing your pics and showing ours from the eastern shore of Md.

Thumbnail by pocomoke
Marlton, NJ

Hi pocomoke!! Welcome to the BW forum!!! Very nice pic!!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2007 9:36 PM

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome to the Bird Watching forum, pocomoke. I look forward to seeing your photos since you are located in great area for a variation of birdlife. In November, I stayed in the Pocomoke City Holiday Inn, as my wife and I visited both Chincoteague and Assateague. Unfortunately, the weather (rain) wasn't ideal for bird photography. I do visit Blackwater every opportunity I get. You might periodically visit the following link which provides information on what others are seeing in Maryland.

http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A0=MDOSPREY

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome to Dave's Pocomoke, and to BW forum. Your picture is great, love the trees there too!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Deb, I hope you can capture an image of the painted bunting. I have only seen pictures. In the summer we have the indigo buntings. The seem like such cheerful creatures. I have never seen them eat from my feeders. What are you offering them?
Teresa in KY

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

NIce to see you pocomoke!! Welcome in!! Looking forward to your pictures :-S

Here Mr and Mrs House Finch having dinner>

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Teresa, they seem to like white millet. He came back this morning but would only watch from the nearby azalea. I think buntings don't like crowds, and there were alot of birds at the feeders. So, I got the best shot I could at that distance in pretty low light. I'll post the best 2 I managed.

Also had Mr. Red-belly at the suet.

Deb(inSC)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

and another....

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Red-bellied WP checking out the suet.
DebinSC

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Just one more. I was concentrating on taking pics of Mr. Red Belly and the squirrel snuck in and made away with the peanut butter pine cone. Little sneak!!
DebinSC

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Finally! Painted bunting came back. This is one bird where they definitely got the name right!
DebinSC

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh WOWIE!! I missed a few days here and boy have there been lots of great pictures!! I am in awe of your painted bunting photos Deb - what an amazing bird. And welcome pocomoke from me too!

I have some new ones to post too. The tray with the "buffet" has been a big hit. I'm thinking of moving more of the feeders closer to the window even though they will be in the lawn. It's worth it! I think I need to wash the windows again though. when the sun shines in I can see how much dust and grit has settled back on to the panes of glass in 2 weeks.

Here is the yellow rumped warbler that has been eluding the camera -

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is another one of the yellow rumped w.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is one of our Carolina wren.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

and here it is getting ready to leave

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is one of our little downy

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

Me, too, Lilyfntn - I didn't check my computer much yesterday and look at all these super photos! You have some great pics here!

Deb, omigosh, what can I say? Such lovely colors on the birds in your area - sigh . . . And the squirrel stealing the pine cone is a hoot - what a great shot!!

Pocomoke, welcome and looking forward to seeing more of your photos!!

You're right, all those who said the Flicker looked guilty . . . he does indeed!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

See there Debin, Knew you'd get a good shot of Bunting!! And what a good shot!!! Aweosme!

Lily love those YRW and the wee Downey,, way cute!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

The little bunting looks like he feel into a couple of different paint cans. Thanks for posting, it made me smile. God makes wonderful creatures. All are unique.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

lilyfantn I like to think I know a lot of common birds in our area of N.W. Missouri but those warblers I'm not very good at identifying. Just love your Yellow Rumped Warbler picture. I gave my father-in-law a couple of wren houses for Christmas and hope some wrens nest in them. I have 3 or 4 wren houses around our house and they sing all summer long. I see them catching insects all summer for themselves and their families but wonder if they would respond to a food at a feeder?

Cuckoo

Marlton, NJ

cockoo, they like worms the best but they will eat some seeds.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

pelletory what kind of worms? Earthworms or something else?

Cuckoo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.