Show Me Your Feeders Pt. 3

Marlton, NJ

Heres the new thread.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 9:12 PM

Thumbnail by pelletory
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

That is so cute. I love goldfinches too. They fly like they are on a roller coaster. Sometimes I see them in small flocks when we have really cold weather.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Excellent photo of the American Goldfinch. I only get a few around my feeder. Most of my Goldfinch photos are taken out in the fields usually among thistle plants.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I buy thistle bags for mine. They cling to the sacks and pick the seeds thru. Cardinals are still my favorite backyard bird to watch. They look so pretty in a snow covered tree.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Pelletory, I was just considering starting a new one, thanks! If you would like back to the old one on your post too.

Here is my first shot of a common House Finch (?) or I think it is. I had to tie this bird feeder down it kept spinning on me!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love your Goldfinch pic! I have seen them here but never got a pic, maybe this year....?

Here is one of the female HFs.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

And a couple males watching me, watch them. LOL!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, here is one feeder, but it is being utilized by someting other than birds at the moment. You can see even more furry friends in the back eating the corn we put out for them.

Thumbnail by MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Wider shot showing 2 feeders, but help, grackles everywhere! I have to run them off every so often so the finches, juncos, wrens can get some food.

Thumbnail by MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

After the ice storm we were scattering seed everywhere so there would be plenty for the poor little birdies, here the finches are enjoying the seed.

Thumbnail by MaryinLa
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Mary, that's a beautiful shot with your furry friends in the background. Looks like a Christmas card!
Debra

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Mary cute pick, ya your corn is being utilized all right...lol :)

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Great pics Pelle, Shelia & Mary

Mary how are you doing? So great to see you post

This message was edited Jan 22, 2007 12:49 PM

Marlton, NJ

Nice pics Everyone! Mary, love your furry corn eaters!

Sheila, Would the hf's still hold on while it was spinning? If so that must have looked cute!

Marlton, NJ

The one thing I don't like about most Thistle feeders is that the rain gets in and ruins the seeds at the bottom. Most of the feeders do not open from the bottom so their very difficult to get out. I have found one that does open from the bottom but its a little expensive so I'm saving my pennies. As soon as I buy it I'll post a pic and try to get some info for all about it.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

My thistle feeder is open for business but very few takers so far. Not sure why. May need to re-locate it. All I've seen the past few days are sparrows. I think this latest supply of seed I got is too heavy on the millet seed. No takers for the suet, either. Ah well. I did spot this Mock. waiting for all the sparrows to clear off!
DebinSC

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

...and the sparrows not accommodating. :)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I found some neat clear thistle feeders with little over hang roofs for 8 or 9 dollars at Lowes. So far the seed has stayed dry with all the rain we have been having so they are working

Marlton, NJ

DebiinSC, Is the thistle seed fresh enough? I had no idea how fast that stuff gets dried out and that was why I wasn't seeing any Goldies for a while. The bird store owner was telling me about it and as soon as I put the fresh stuff out my Goldies returned.
Nice pics Deb!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pelle: You may be right. The thistle feeder I had before was destroyed by squirrels and I got this new one a couple of weeks ago. But the seed was some I had from before.... Hmmm. I bet that's it. Thanks!

Oh,- and I lied about the suet. The squirrels love it. ;>

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Posted my picture of the day on the "old" address, silly me!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Christie, post it here, too - it's wonderful!

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Okay Murmur; you make me a happy bird protector!!!!
CC

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Great photo - gosh I wish I got those cute little buggers here!

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

This titmouse behaved so good, I promised him a hat with a feather!!!

CC

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Mrs_C: Those are great!

That's the one!!!

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Debin, I adore your picture with the sparrows!!!!!

Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Marlton, NJ

Christie I love the one of the Tufted on the branch; it really shows what a little gem he is.

Marlton, NJ

Christie is that a Scrub Jay in the tree?

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes Pelletory, one of the 2 babies we had in the backyard.
He drinks out of my bath here, and I recognise him because his feathers are so tight, colourful and neat! He is the most handsome boy around, and he knows it; showing off in the highest tree!! LOL

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Marlton, NJ

We had more snow here last night. Luckily the severe winds are gone and it was a nice still cold.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, thread 3 already!! Way to go!! I hope all of you getting all this snow and ice are ok. So far we have just gotten lots of rain - so much so that when I was out in the yard today my feet went squish, squish, squish. But I can't complain because at least we have heat and aren't suffering like you all in the mid west. ((hugs))

I finally got a shot of one of our red bellied woodpeckers - not as good as yours though Pell...

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

Lily, where'd you find that cage for that variety of woodpecker treat? I bought one and hung it by the little hook that came on it, and it disappeared . . . what a surprise!!! (Great photo, btw)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

And thanks for the fresh seed suggestion. I noticed that my thistle seed isn't getting many takers lately so I think I will put fresh seed in.

Here is another one from inside of one of our t. mousies.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Murmur! I'm pretty sure I got it at Wally World. I hung my blocks at first by the stick and string and found out pretty quick too that either the possums get them at night or the stick loosens and the block falls off lol.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

lilyfant, what did you have to promise mr.titmouse in order to sit still for the picture? LOL

Superb photo!

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Murmur, I have the same kind of cage for the food, bought mine in PETCO

Marlton, NJ

Nice pics Susan!! Love your female red bellied! I miss my female; she hasn't been around much, only the boys are here everyday.

WalMart is where I get all my caged seed blocks too! They sure are popular!

I notice they have ones for Finches too.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2007 8:56 PM

I'm at Petco frequently - will look there. Thanks, everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.