House plants from SEEDS!?!?

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i didn't know seeds existed for them but found this page in a search:

www.greendealer-exotic-seeds.com

has anyone ever grown houseplants from seed? any luck? any recommended seed companies for plants?
stephanie

This message was edited Jan 18, 2007 11:37 AM

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i just placed an order for some of their plant seeds.

an all white spider plant
a 'sensitive plant' that the tiny leaves pull closed together when touched
ming fern
and asparagus fern

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i google searched for pics of these plants. and copied them onto one picture.
stephanie

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Nice plants ! Will be fun watching them grow :))
They have a nice selection on that sight ! Might have to try some seeds too !

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

violet tresure:

I'll be getting 50 seeds for 'pure white spider plant' --i google searched and found the picture i attached in the grouping picture i put up
10 seeds for asparagus fern
24 seeds for 'sensitive plant' aka 'Mimosa pudica' --this one will be fun, i remember a friend showing me one as a little girl, when you touch the leaves they fold up for a while and then go back
and 10 seeds for ming fern

i'm attaching pictures of what i believe they will turn out as, the seed site didn't have very good pics, and some seeds didn't offer pics at all (white spider)
anyway, i'll be happy to share some seeds with anyone sending a SASE for trade of other seeds or houseplant cuttings. i'll probably only keep 10 spiderplant seeds, 3 or 4 of each fern, 8 seeds sensitive plant
my seeds should be arriving in a week to 10 days.

if no one takes me up on it i'l be planting them all, then posting the rootings in the spring.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I used to get their paper catalog, but I don't think I ever did order from them.

I have grown a few plants from seed.

I have a Coccoloba uvifera (SeaGrape) that I grew from seed...also grew Leea Cocinnea from seed. It took a while, but both of those two grew into good sized plants.

I still have the Sea Grape - but I've since given away the Leea. I'll try to get a photo of the Sea Grape.

I hate to 'burst your bubble', but the white spider plant seedlings will most likely die if the seeds do produce an all white spider plant, as an all white plant simply won't grow on it's own without the green areas, which contain the Chlorophyll necessary to photosynthesize. It's more likely, though, that they'll produce either a plain green or a variegated spider plant....which is OK in itself, don't you think?!

This message was edited Jan 18, 2007 2:04 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I've grown asparagus fern from seed, from Pinetree Garden. Split my ten seeds into two batches and both were successful, 3 or 4 out of the five each time. They should tell you slow to germinate, so just wait. Pinetree also has a few other' houseplant'seeds.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

thanks sally, i'll check out pinetree garden.
here's the link for anyone else wanting to take a peek:

http://www.superseeds.com/

This message was edited Jan 18, 2007 8:05 PM

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Here's a picture of a very nice white spider plant ; )

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/101918/

He said he was sending it to a plant developer to get it marketed. Perhaps those seeds came from this plant? ; )

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Wait- hold on- I just looked at that link. It's hard to see well because of the way the sun hits it, but it looks like a regular spider plant to me. It just says it has pure white flowers and doesn't say the leaves are white. What do you guys think?

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

cjolene - yes, i saw that too after ordering the seeds.
thats ok... i don't have any spiderplants, except an all green that i just started from a friends clippings, and its not doing well.

i also emailed that guy showing his white plant on this site, to see if he still has it, or if its for sale anywhere. haven't heard back yet.
stephanie

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I have to have that white Spider plant. I have sevearl others and have never seen that one. My next mission.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i've searched all over the internet and can't find all white spider plants. :(

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

sjonesartist HI I changed my name to Allison _FL sense someone else already had Allison !
I'm game I'd love some of the Spider plants seeds and Fern if you still have for trade please ! I can send you Begonia cuttings or some Gesneirads like Chiritas, or Epsicas :))

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Ok...you folks don't *have to* believe me, (lol!!) but an *ALL WHITE* spider plant simply doesn't exist, because it wouldn't be able to grow/thrive/survive without any Chlorophyll in it's leaves or stems.

There may be spider plants with a high degree of white in it's leaves, or with some entirely white leaves, but none with absolutely unadulterated pure white. It's simply not scientifically possible.

I'm not trying to be a 'know it all' (that's not me;) but just don't want any of you to be disappointed if you don't end up with a white spider plant, or you end up with a small seedling that dies. (Ü)

I remember when Andrew posted that photo, and I totally agree that one is unique, but note that it does have green veins = some chlorophyll. But I guess that's about as close to 'all white' as you can get!

I'm not a huge spider plant fan (though I do have a few small ones) but I'd love to have one like Andrew's myself!

(Zone 1)

Yeah, that is one Beautiful Spider Plant in Andrew's Photo! I have NEVER seen one so white. I think it must have just been a sport or something from one of the regular verigated varities. I wonder if it's still a living plant? Sure is pretty .... I'm not particularly in to Spider Plants either, but would love to have one like that!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Nan is correct :)) All the variegated Spider Plants are chimeras. The way we usually propagate the Spider Plant is from the baby plants on the stolons, which is an examle of asexual reprodution where there is no gamete fusion.This is the reason why you will get all green plants if you breed new plants from the seeds of variegated plants By seed they will be solid green. The only way to progate variegated plants to look like Mom is from Stolons.
But I'm still game little green ones are fun I can throw them in the garden beds !

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Nan, we believe you- but it's just easier to refer to that spider plant as the "white" one because it doesn't have a name that I know of. It's a lot easier than calling it "white except for that green strip down the middle." ; )

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

lol! True, that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.