rooting jars / vases

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

ok, i have a new addiction! finding unique little jars to root my plant cuttings in. I'll take some pics of what i have so far in the morning when the sun is hitting them. most of them i got from food jars, (my favorite is this octagonal jar about 3 1/2 inches high by 2 1/2 inches or 3 inches wide that some wosabi mustard was in. its so pretty! i'm making my bf build me a shelf for my large window so i can display them and fill them with clippings.

i know now, that when i go grocery shopping, i won't just be shopping for condiments, but searching for pretty jars.
anyone else doing this?
stephanie

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I saw a thread where someone used test tubes...pretty creative if you ask me! lol

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

yes, i was looking at those too, test tubes - many in one holder, beakers /flasks too, because theyhave wide bases and won't tip.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I have collected small colored bottles from flea markets and put copper wire around the necks and hang them from the curtain rod in my kitchen window. I love them there and I keep an eye on the water levels for them. Anything to act like I'm gardening here in the middle of the winter. I 'm having withdrawal symptoms from lack of gardening. Lou

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

here is a picture of my jars, the octogonal one with the cuttings in it is my favorite.

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

a close up.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

They're pretty Stephanie. I collect little jars for cuttings. I have a few itty-bitty ones that I could only fit one sprig in each, but they're cute. I usually go for colored glass, but I have a few that are clear too. What's the plant that you have cut in your favorite jar?

Harper

(Zone 1)

I love gardening in jars .... whether with pebbles/soil in the bottom, or just water for rooting! I will have to get my camera out and post some pic's later!

Lin

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

sofonisba - its a type of ivy. "royal hustler" hedera helix

i was getting some plants at homedepot... and i saw this on my way to the register, it was the last one, hidden in the middle of some average ivys. it's so pretty. here's a picture of the full plant that i took the clippings from.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Check your local thrift stores, Goodwills, Salvation Army, etc. They are loaded down with that type of stuff. I've also found some nice colored glass containers at dollar stores.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

funny KWZ --LOL i hit the dollar stores yesterday. also went to a restraunt supply store, found some pretty , glass, 4" salt and pepper shakers, and parmasean cheese shakers, for about $1 a piece, i'll be going back there today. i also searched the internet for bottles, wholesale, but they are heavy, so shipping gets high if you order a lot.
stephanie

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

If we'd met a few years ago I'd have sent you the whole collection of little bottles I had. In a move, they all went to Goodwill.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

There was a guy that used to post on 'the other' HP forum, dispatcher...that did the same thing you do with bottles....he showed some photos and they were *so cool*!!
Do you have any photos of yours?

I found this cool glass swan specifically made for rooting cuttings, but I've got nothing in it right now...I'll try to get a shot of it tonight, though.

Good topic!!

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

LOL, now i'm on ebay looking for unique salt/pepper shakers.
:)
i swear i'm addicted to jar hunting!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Nothing wrong with that....there are surely worse addictions out there!

I like the last one, pictured above.

Is your octagonal one actually a jar?
I have a set of drinking glasses that look a lot like that one!

I sure am enjoying your post & pictures of your cute jars.
Thanks for sharing.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Luv your jars, very cute!! I usually use vases or anything I can get my hands on.
:) Donna

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

Nan, yes, the octagonal one was a pretty mustard jar. wasabi mustard. stephanie

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, OK....it's always hard to tell in a photo.
The glasses we have hold a lot - probably 24-30 oz....so that would have been a *lot* of mustard, LOL!!

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

yeah, it was a tiny mustard jar, probably only 3" tall. the photo was pretty close up so you all could see the details of my prettiest jar. :)
stephanie

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm a jar sucker too, trying to save the cute tiny ones but too little to be storage. maybe some tiny cuttings.....

(Zone 1)

Here's my kitchen counter with stuff rooting in water .... I use whatever glass container's I can find, be it old vases, old perfume bottles, little glass pitcher's .....

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

And ... I have this mirrored shelf on the kitchen wall that has some little containers with stuff rooting in water too!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I love this thread. Here are a couple of very small vases I used last spring. The largest a mini wine glass brought home from a trip to Austria on Swiss Air (see the little red Swiss Air Emblem) 4 inches. A small vase that was too pretty to get rid of but of no use until now 3 inches. Two cut glass toothpick holders 2 inches.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2007 4:09 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks to your suggestions I found these in the frig. I think they will both look good when I get them empty.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
(Zone 1)

Very nice Hollyann, I at one time had some of those little cut glass vases/toothpick holders, but they went to a thrift store in a box with lots of other goodies. Should have kept a couple for small cuttings. Love those jars you found in the frig .... they will make nice little rooting "vases"!

the toothpick holders, Holly, I could swear that's just like one I picked out at school bingo, oh, say, 35 yrs ago? kept it for the longest time...didn't know it was for toothpicks when I piccked it, just thought really pretty.

(Zone 1)

Sallyg: I never knew they were toothpick holders either .... I always called them my little mini vases! But, someone a few years back told me they were for holding toothpicks. I never used them for that .... I always stuck small blooming flowers in them!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I think they came from Tiara Ware which was all the rage for home parties in the middle '70's.....I have a number of them, too, and we actually do use one for toothpics on our lazy susan that sits on the coffee bar....I like the little jars that chipped beef comes in that you make SOS with...very simple looking but good size for small cuttings....for really small, fine clippings I've cut a square of that plasticraft mesh stuff to just fit over the top of whatever container I'm using and then supported the clippings in a mesh square....keeps everybody upright and separate...another one to watch for is what fisherman buy their different eggs in...some cute small jars there.....Deb

Depsi- good sugggestion about the mesh.
boy I'm relieved to find out I'm not at all alone in my jar nonsense. I have a thing for tiny jelly jars. it's a very inefficient way to get jelly, but can hardly bear to throw the jar out. OK, I do have some packrat tendencies.......working on that.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

Holly, those jars are GREAT, I think you need to empty them out now. :)
Plantladylin - You have quite the collection there! That one furthest to the right is terrific!
maybe we should start a jar trading thread. LOL just kidding - i love my jars, and can't part with them...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a neat idea, Maybe some kind of jar swap later in the year. You know my guys are hoarders, the barn is filled with all kinds of stuff, it flows out into the yard, all the closest are full, attic and a whole room just full of old stuff. Every so often I do one of those "OK do you really need this"When the piles in the house and yard get to big. Of course shortly after they get rid of everything. We find a use for it. "If only I still had that" (Big sigh)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Lin, I luv your mirror with the jars. Looks very chic!

Depsi great idea with the mesh. Is this a hard mesh or soft?

HollyAnn, I think you need us to come and visit you so that we can help you clean. It sounds like you probably have some coooooool stuff!

:) Donna

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Last night it occurred to me that it wasn't Tiara Ware, those little toothpick cut glass vase's were from Princess House from the same era....and the mesh is rigid and I believe sold in 16"x 16" sizes. It's used in those plastic craft sorta things like tissue covers for the restroom, etc......I also use it to keep the string of lights centered in solo cup Christmas Globes that I make for Christmas....you cut it to whatever size or shape you want it and it is sold in different colors....Sally, I think glass intriques many of us and especially dainty, bright things. Imagine a cluster with all different small size jars, all clear, and then have a small bouquet of the same tiny blooms such as violets, pansys, something along that line in each one...what a statement...you could even shape them into a heart shape and use baby rose buds, etc for Valentine's.....it's a Martha Moment.....Deb

ha ha- wish I had a pic of my Martha-esque shelf arrangement over the foyer. Five widely spaced different old vases each with a different dried flower/grass. Martha used to annoy me but I really admire a lot of her ideas (or the ideas shechose to steal from her slaves, maybe) Note- admire. not actually do much.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Princess House sounds right; I can't remember where I got them. But my daughter use to have a lot of PH parties. I don't keep a lot of stuff sitting out, too much trouble to dust. But I love glassware and I do have some interesting pieces. I guess these would be for jelly closed they look like an apple and pear, open and there is a rather shallow bowl. Couldn’t put much in them. But they are different. Anybody see anything like them?
BTW, my son brought them home he picked up a box of glassware a neighbor had put out for trash. He was about 8 or 10 at the time and brought me “wonderful treasure”

The Pear is about 4 inches, the Apple about 3 inches.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2007 6:33 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

my ivy cutting started to get roots!!! only after 5 days in plain water. none of the others though...yet. maybe its because i put this one in my prettiest jar. :) the pictures of the others are in my journal.
stephanie

sjonesartist
good job getting a pic of those roots. you inspired me to trim mt ivy and put a couple cuttings in a vase. Yours have nice green stems, I wonder if that helped them root easily, mine are kind of woody, I'll see in a few more days if I'm so lucky.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

oh...woody ones dont root easy? i guess that would explain why this was the only one rooted.
i took several cuttings from plants, as well as some outdoor ivy. very woody now because i'm in NJ in hte winter. so maybe in the spring i'll see if there are less woody new growth on those.
i'll take another pic today of the roots, they've trippled in length since then.
i couldn't believe all that root growth and the others didn't start roots at all.
stephie

I'm just wondering/guessing on the woody stem root issue, if anybody else knows, hope she/he chimes in.
also founds aphids on the ivy -aaghh-squish time

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.