What will you grow with your Clematis this spring/summer?

Newton, NJ

I had beatiful clematis (year two) and after that....nothing! Are they supposed to keep blooming or do they die off in May and bloom again in late summer. I am not sure of their habits. This is my first "experiment" with them

Thanks for any advice!

Thumbnail by ebaumid
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

What a pretty "Dr. Ruppel"..what do you mean nothing??..Do you still have leaves??..Pruning group 2's will bloom in Spring and late summer but my "Dr. Ruppel" blooms a huge flush in spring and then off and on the rest of the season...always fertilize after it finishes blooming...Jeanne

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Jeanne, you advice is so good. Thank goodness someone knows what they are doing with these vines.

Last week my vine of Clare de Lune - just planted this spring got the wilt. We are having a hard spring here in Pa. Drought - temps in the high 90's, etc. It had three or four vines and now has one.

This week we had 3/4 "of rain. Yes I have been feeding and watering it. Hope this is only a first year thing. I might have to go back to morning glories. LOL

I got some of the Aqua Spikes from Lee Gardens - they fit anything from a gallon milk jug to a two ltr. coke bottle. You fill them with sand and bury them at the plant. Then they seep water ( and fertilizer) to the roots of the plants. I will baby them this summer, but after that - gosh I would hate to lose those beautiful flowers.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

se_eds, Here is the information on Proteus in the plant files: http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/69968/index.html
I let mine go thru shrubs and trees as well as trellis. I have decided to let them ramble over the garden this year. This way they will take root.
Linda

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

RDT - thank you for the link. - Proteus, that I bought for $4.99 at Walmart is one of the few new this summer that just sat there and grew! It had no problems It was in a 4 in pot - it had 2 blooms. I cut off the seed heads and fertilized it. It is still growing away..

Newton, NJ

JeanneTX thanks for your nice compliment and your advice. I think what I need to do IS DEFINITELY prune it back a bit. (Say 1/3?) Is that enough? I still have leaves but they get MUCH smaller on top and seem to almost disappear at the ends. I have been keeping up with fertilizer. Its just that I see so many people with these beatuiful tall vines exploding with flowers! HOW DO I GET THAT? I hope someone can "clue me in"

Thanks again for you help

Erika

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I treat my clematises to half a bag of deodorized composted manure along with a little lime and some 5-10-5 each spring. I'd give it a try since the manure alone will keep the soil cool and provide a good growing environment for the plant.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Erica..that comes with age...they get more beautiful each year as their root systems get bigger and stronger..in time you'll have the same look...Jeanne

Clematis 'Jackmanii' at the compost bin - a feeding frenzy. This one doesn't get any food of any kind - it gets enough from being next to the compost bins.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've a favor to ask; would someone will be kindly identify my Clem. posted above in early June? This is driving me frenzy. I thought, I had Jackmanii, but it doesn't look like what Pirl's Jackmanii. My blossoms are demunitive, much smaller than that of Pirl's. So is that Durandii? What, I need to know, the "unknown" is eating at me, since I don't know what group it bolongs to, and how to prune it. That purple clem. that I've tolerates severe pruning, only thing is it blooms off and on all growing season. If I were to wait to prune later, would it be a wrong thing to do?
Kim

Kim - are you asking about the photo you posted on May 6th at 9:44? It looks like Jackmanii to me and also looks so lush. I'd be willing to take photos of our three Jackmanii's, all in different spots, with a dollar bill taped to a flower to show size if you do the same so we can all see the differences and if you feel it would help you be sure it's a Jackmanii. One of ours (the shadiest spot) the flower is larger and more velvety but the two in full sun have smaller flowers without that velvet texture.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pirl,
Thank you, for you input. Yes, that's the one. lol. I planted this one long before I was a DGer, didn't give it a thought about named varieties, until I learned different variety requires specific cultures and cares. Duh, lol.
That then is clear to me. The bush of clem. there would grow as big as I'd allow it to. Last year I had a bright idea putting up a flimsy metal abor for it. It grew so lushed, it practically cover the 8' tall arbor, that we couldn't walk thru it. DH took the arbor down. I bit the bullet and trimmed it ways back. Sounds like the vigor of Jackmanii isn't? And yes, this one receive full sun facing South. I've two more that is facing west, more intense sun/heat, thus the flowers also appear "smaller".
The lesson today for me. That, too much sun for this particular cultivar isn't exactly a good thing.
Thanks a million, Pirl.
Kim

You are quite welcome and I do appreciate the thanks.

Long ago I saw a friend's Jackmanii and asked which clematis it was since mine looked nothing at all like hers. It was one and the same plant.

Another DG friend has a Nelly Moser in full sun and it's lovely but very pale with a barely noticeable pink bar whereas mine drooped to the ground (my own fault for insufficient support) but are vivid in color when the earwigs don't dine on them.

No matter how hard or how often I trim back the Jackmanii by the compost it leaps out of the ground ready to go again and it blooms all over again. In fact, it has to be slashed again sometime this week. It's totally covered the compost bin and we need to use the compost.

This one, in dappled shade, is much better behaved.

Thumbnail by pirl
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Pirl, they both are lovely. You have a special way of explaining things to those of us who are new. Thanks.

How sweet of you to say that, se_eds. Thank you.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

From your description, it sounds like "Jackmanii", which grows very large.
"Jackmanii" http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=237

On the other hand, "Durandii" is an Integrifolia and does not cling. It could be used as a ground cover or draped over the side of a container.
"Durandii" http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=150

If the confusion over Jackmanii isn't enough, Shirley, I've been told by a horticulturist that clematis and astilbe are the two plants where seeds are most mistaken for other cultivars.

Shirley - that Fireworks you sent is more than stunning! It's scrambling through a very tall Crape Myrtle and it's a total joy and pleasure to own. Everyone who sees it stares and comments. It's like bright Christmas lights appearing unexpectedly.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pirl,
Fireworks on Crape Mytle? Have you got a pic. to share?

I realize this is a close-up and probably not at all what you wanted but the computer is giving me grief today.

Thumbnail by pirl

"Fireworks" is definitely living up to its name! How appropriate that its lovely blooms are putting on a show for July 4th!

Hurray! Here it is climbing the Crape Myrtle. Now it's past the top, which is about 12' tall.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nicely done, Pirl. Hosta in the vicinity. Tada, I am learning now, I've a WHOLE LOT more room for more Clematis. Shirley, I think I'm past the state of Denial of being adicted. lol, lol.

pirl: You definitely have "Fireworks" sited in a perfect spot growing into your Crape Myrtle. Now that it has grown to the top of the Crape Myrtle, it's reaching for the sky!

Lily_love: We are ALL Clematis addicts who just keep enabling one another! Do you think a 12 step Clematis program would work? I don't think so as long as they keep us captivated by their beauty!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Happy July 4th everyone!!!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

How wonderful! You've really captured the beauty of the clematis with your photo, Lily_love! I can see and hear the fireworks going off as I read this thread.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I too, hear the fireworks outdoors.....Let's go and celebrate, shall we? ((((((group hugs)))))) for the Glorious 4th of July.

Gorgeous Clematis, Lily_love! Which one are you featuring for our nation's birthday?

We are watching t.v. and enjoying all the glorious fireworks from inside tonight. Continuous thunderstorms have 'rocked' my area today.

Happy July 4th Clematis lovers! (((Group hug back!!!)))

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Just a jackmanii, but this is the Comeback Kid. I thought it was a goner after this past winter in Denver, so I'm grateful it's blooming at all! It's on my balcony six floors up in an old pickle crock.

Thumbnail by revclaus

Hurray for the Comeback Kid. It makes it double the pleasure, I'm sure!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The anticipation of some of our "come back kids" and then...they surprized us. One of the best things that happens to us gardeners. :-) revclaus, nice job. Being six floors above, the average. :-) I can imagine you've an awesome view of the mountains there too?

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh yes...

Thumbnail by revclaus

Wonderful!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lucky you! Beautiful view. I'll definately visit Co. next time I'm out West. For Clematis on Magnolia I have this Jackmanii (hope it's Jack, since I'm so confused with Jackmanii & Durandii).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.