What will you grow with your Clematis this spring/summer?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

se_eds; Your trellis on the car's port would be complimented by annual vines in pots? Morning glories that greet you in the AM, colorful Cardinal saying cheers at anytime of the day. And back to those hugh, pure white Moon Flowers that surprise you in the PM, and cloudy days? Just a thought. I'm like you, clematis has become one of my passions.... Save those for a different site in the garden?

fleursdefouquet; 'Armandii' has done well in my partial shade garden. In 2003 I planted 2 mature vines on an arbor, the following year our family moved. We dug up these vines, arbor and all, and moved them to the new home. Make the long story short, these vines didn't even wink. Armandii is about to be in fullbloom at this time of year. Now I've eyes on more Jackmanii, and Montana var. Ruben.

Wisteria and clematis? What a spendid idea! I planted more than a dozens Wisteria, they're now mature enough to reward us with blooms. Ooohh, I can see myself out there planting more Clematis this spring. LOL.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2007 8:32 AM

Thompsons Station, TN(Zone 6a)

Oh my.. My little trellis doesn't have a chance if thats what my 2 year old Jackmaii has planned for this year. Still I can't wait to see what he throws at me..

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Lily_love - The cardinal vine sounds great in say, five gal buckets. I'll drill them in the bottom and paint them green. I'm afraid to grow the moonflowers again, the last ones I grew took over a 20' long chain link fence. They were beautiful but it took from December to February to pick the dead vines out of the chain link fence. (Won't do THAT again). LOL

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

se_eds - I've grown morning glory vine, too, and hated removing those tiny pieces of vine when the season is over. So boring and it takes so long!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hmm...wondering if you could "burn" the vine out of a chainlinked fence?

If you don't have firemen or nosy neighbors (who'd report you) I guess you could. About 20 years ago I yearned for the smell of fall leaves burning and piled them up, lit a match and within five minutes heard the fire engines! Yes, Mrs. Nosy was on the alert and reported me.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL, I can see that would be a problem...I don't have any ordinance that keeps me from burning leaves etc. so I didn't think about that...LOL But at least you got the smell, before the fire engines got there..right.

Yes, but not enough of it. Next time I'll throw them on the grill.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL..throw them on the grill...I bet the nosy neighbor would go crazy trying to figure out WHO is burning leaving....LOL

She now lives in Florida and was never out here in Southold but two doors away from me in a prior home. It just seems so hypocritical of prominent people to talk about pollution when they go everywhere in their private jets and gas guzzling vehicles. Just once every few years I'd like a little pile of leaves burning in the crisp autumn air.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Pirl you are a mess....that is just too funny, I wonder, couldn't you burn them in a barrel with a piece of screen over it...I know a lot of people here do that...

Maybe I am, Janet. I've been reorganizing all of my 12,000+ photos on Picasa and it's day 12 now. I hope to be done by Friday and then resume ordering plants. I did find the one of the three clematises on the magnolia!

(Not the greatest photo!)

Thumbnail by pirl
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, that is so neat pirl.

I love the smell of burning leaves but don't have any to burn. The farmer in back of our property burns collections of old feed bags, fertilizer bags, scrap wood, rotten hay and an occasional dead sheep. MMmmmmm.
He lives about 1/2 mile from where he burns them. We are maybe 500 ft. away. Thankfully this is mostly done in cool weather when windows are closed.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi All,
With all the talk about our wonderful Clematis, I went out to the local Nursery and purchased half a dozen of them today. Debra, I'll plant some of these to climb up my Wisterias (grin, guess whose idea that was), I probably put out more trellis to accommodate the rest. Ooh yeah, I ran across a post on DG's PF of a beautiful combination of Gloriosa lily (a tender vines for my area) grown together with a 'Sweet Aumtumn Clematis' on a chainlink fence. Wow! Check 'em out!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I hadn't thought of putting them where they would climb my magnolia, how about climbing up the camellias, would that be okay? Will they hurt the trees or shrubs?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Lily_love: Clematis addiction is lots of fun, isn't it? Which varieties did you purchase at your local Nursery?

I hate to put a damper on certain ones, but please read about Sweet Autumn Clematis in PlantFiles BEFORE you purchase it. It is VERY invasive in my growing zone and yours too! I haven't been able to get rid of mine yet....

Janet: Clematis would look beautiful climbing up Magnolias, Camelias and other shrubs. However, you need to do your homework first because Clematis is 'eye candy'. We want every one that is available. Please take into consideration the ultimate size & vigor of your vine. You don't want it to overwhelm its host. Refer to PlantFiles, plus Clematis on the Web http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.cfm for more information about different varieities.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes Sweet Autumn is VERY INVASIVE for me as well....I do love it, bit it really can get out of hand! It seeds and grows everywhere it hits the ground and is not that easy to irradicate!

Shirley and Janet are right on all counts.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Shirley;

Like I've mentioned earlier that I wanted more Jackmanii, and Montana var. Ruben for their sizes, as well as beauty. So I purchased one more of each. Henryi? Is that beautiful big star white flower, a double blue variety, and one that is red. About 'Sweet Autumn Clematis'. Thanks for the warning; I already have one that climbed and mingled with my Japanese maple. The blossoms were so abundant, that it pulled the maple branches down. Talking about invasiveness (but this is a welcoming one). When I moved to my new home several years ago. One morning I was surveying the property and making plans to revise my landscape. (About where I have my saucer Magnolia now; noticed two little plants through the grass). I made a mental note of the location where I found these 'wild' little plants. But before I could do so. The grass was mowed, and the 'little plants' were lost. Nevertheless, within days later their leaves sprouted through adversity. And this time they appeared more lush (apical dorminant - rings a bell?). LOL. I transplanted these two 'lost children' to my front yard. And before I knew it. I have had a sturdy abor build to accommodate these vines and others. Since then I've dug them up, moved them around. Share some with my neighbors. This was where my passion for Clematis begun. It is apparent that birds have dispersed the seedlings from miles away since none of my immediate neighbors has this vine. I sometimes wondered if I should rename my SAC 'Heavenly Vines'? Just kidding.
This particular vines (SAC); unlike most varieties is big. Thus far, Armandii has the biggest circumference (its trunk), next SAC, only SAC keep branching out wider, and wideeerrrrr.... They are semi-evergreen in my local microclimate. Dead heading of spent flowers is essential, and "brushing" off brown leaves with the back of the garden rake is a MUST to keep the vine looking "presentable" in a promanent place such as your front yard. In short, it takes work to mantain this vine. Birds and bees love them, our local birds made nests under this vine year after years - an added bonuse. So, the words are out; we as responsible gardeners, lovers of nature, from all walks of life. We need to share our experiences with fellow gardeners. This is what made our GF great!

This message was edited Feb 28, 2007 7:08 PM

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi. I have six clematis sitting on my dishwasher waiting to be planted this spring. These were small when I got them last summer and so I potted them up and then never got around to getting them in the ground, so... I had lovely clematis blooms right around Christmas. :) Don't ask me who they are, cause off hand, I don't remember. :) But, they are all labeled and are just biding their time till spring comes. :) Now I just have to figure out where they can fit in. :) I need to erect some more trellises, maybe some around down spouts. :)

How well would they do intermingled with active grape vines?

Diann

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Diann;

BTW, where is everybody? Out at the garden centers I guess. Diann, welcome to our topic "Clematis..," Shirley1md has several websites that could be very helpful on gathering more info. regarding clematis. As you can see we're sharing our experience with this delicate (some are not so very delicate) vines. Namely Armandii, and Sweet Autumn Clematis, though, with proper placement /care they could be an asset in the garden.

As far as how well Clematis will do with active grape vines. We'll BOTH find out and share with others our results? My Sweet Autumn Clematis has overwhelmed my Japanese Maple in the front lawn this past fall. So, I dug it up trimmed it back, and moved it out to my grape-vine arbor on the side. The trellis/arbor are made of 4x4 hard/treated woods, and at about eye-level. Having experienced with grapevines, the leaves are thick, I afraid they may shade out the more delicated varieties of Clematis, especially those hybrid ones. (the bigs blosoms, and colorful members in this family). Then again, evidently some of these hybrid such as Jackmanii - see some posts above, could be trained to be very tall/big and gorgious! (but take note; this was Jackmanii - stands on its own with support, and not with others).

I've also learned that Japanese bettles love my grapes leaves. (besides Japanese maples, Roses, and a hosts of other plants in the garden). Thus far, Clematis was unaffected by this critters. I'm not sure how they (bettles) are going to behave when these two vines intermingle?

Most of my hybrids collection of Clematis are on eyes level trelises, preferably those of wrought - irons, or other long lasting structures. I've used bamboo trelises, these lasted but one or two seasons, then collapsed. If you've pets playing in the yards, watch out! They will take these down in no time. Some I planted among evergreen/decidious shruberies. This spring; like you; I'm exploring the posibility of planting 'vine on vine'. :)

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Lily, thanks for your thoughts. The six I have sitting on the dishwasher at the moment are in addition to the ten or so I have planted around the property. Mostly, I have them planted on split rail fences in mixed perennial boarders or with trellised rose bushes. I need to build an arbor for one existing grape vine and then I could intermingle it with clematis. I also have one ancient old monster of a grape vine on a split rail fence and this is the one I was thinking about intermingling a new clematis. I too have a problem with Japanese Beetles, mostly in just the past year or so. My biggest nemesis is the Northern Corn Root-worm beetle. It's far more obnoxious for me than the Japanese Beetle. And since I'm surrounded on two sides by farm fields I'm probably not going to see it go away any time soon. I have noticed that the JB prefer my wild grapes over my domestic grapes. Weird.

This spring I hope to take some pictures of my clematis and see if I can get some identified. I wasn't as good in the past on tagging clematis like I did my peony, daylily, and iris... :)

Sweet Autumn Clematis is one that I don't have, but should get and trellis on the barn. :)

Diann

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Ticker, I have sweet Autumn that I would be happy to send you....it may actually cover that barn one day if you put it there...LOL here is a picture of mine before I took them down...

Thumbnail by JanetS

Janet - your photo is so gorgeous! What a shame that the plant doesn't have better manners! It was a glorious combination for you while it lasted.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I loved it, except for the constant trimming I had to do. It would actually come up on the porch and I would cut anywhere from two to three feet of it back a mnimum of three times during the growing stage. I left for Fla and was gone almost two week, and when I came back it had almost taken over the entire porch, corneres were fillled in and the vine was almost to my Rockers...LOL it is a wild child...but oh, that smell is lovely! There are also roses on that trellis and they bloomed in the Spring/Summer, before the clematis bloomed in August/September. I am going to miss it, I am sure, but I have recently planted other clematis there that I am sure will be better behaved....LOL This one gives you more of a taste for the size and that is just one side of the porch..I will show you the other as well..lol

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is the other side and you can see how it would come out over the steps too...I just couldn't cut it back if it was blooming so I would let it cover them if I missed cutting before the blooms started..LOL

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here it is on the steps..lol

Thumbnail by JanetS

Sitting here it's easy to say, "Oh no", but I can see the problems you had yet that beauty is undeniable! Now I'm thinking of it for the rear of the property. Do you think simple, common, ordinary bird netting (attached to 50 year old pines - across 200') would support the vines or would I need something more substantial. We do have a post and rail fence there, in addition to the trees, which are trimmed up to about 20' high.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pirl, You've hit the nail on the head! Tada! Why not bird netting to ease the mantainant chores when come to unrully vines? Janet; awsome! SAC has done more than its shares to our front porches.
Back to you Pirl; I've visited a local avid gardener, and I've noticed he had bird nettings on his various shade trees. (back in early Nov.), There were no evidence of vines climbing there, but now I know he must have had them there for annual vines and such. (lightbulb popping!), lol. I must confess, I've planted SAC to climb up my small tree (dogwood), though the shady that dogwood prefers is not to my SAC's liking, it remains small(er) than the rest, but bloom it did.
Diann; SAC can reseeds freely; so plant these beauty at your own risks. (see the origin of mine - above). I didn't cost me a peny acquiring it; but maintaining it has cost me a great deal. (called it labor of love if you will).
To all; bad weather is threatening my area, and the neighboring counties, States, Ga. and Miss. So I'm shutting down my 'puter. And resort back to my indoors chores. 'Til we meet again, take care and enjoy, most of all be safe.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I would think the netting would work, my vines were anywhere from three to five inches around when they came down...and that was growth from a two year period....I had cut them back twice before in the six years I have had them....I would think they might grow over anything in their path....if they like where they are...I have it in a semi-shaded bed, where it seeded, and it covers over the shrubs and scampers up trees very easily....lol, it may be a monster but I have to tell you, it makes me smile when it is in bloom and the smell is just yummy! I have some in area that I don't have to maintain quite so diligently and I mostly just cut it back to the ground in the fall and let it run till it is done blooming...so the root systems are quite large on some of those vines. I have quite a few to dig out of the bed in front of the trellis this year, unless I decide to let them climb up the Camellia that are in that bed...which could be a way to enjoy them with out them being on the porch...lol

If it's that crazy with reseeding I just might not tackle it. It's the maintenance we're trying to cut back on though I'm sure I'd love the smell.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ya know, for some reason I don't think it's gets quite as crazy here. Maybe it's cause we have harder winters or what, I don't know. I defintely see a few places that it could go and I would be happy. ;)

Diann

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Pirl,
It may not be as invasive there as it is here either. I think we have the perfect climate for it to get out of control...LOL I think it is worth trying, just for the smell....and it blooms so late in the season here when a lot of other things are done!

Angst! Are you professionally employed as an enabler, Janet? :-)

My neighbor has it growing wild and they have to use a ladder to get it out of their trees so I guess it likes it up here, too. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for your encouragement and help.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL, really, I wouldn't bother getting it out of the trees if it was up there...I would just let it have it's way...lol

If you decide to try it, give me a yell and I will try to send you some nice roots, so if you hate it, it wouldn't "cost" anything to dig it up and throw it on the compost pile...lol

Thank you. I'll think about your very kind offer and let you know. It's so tempting.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Se_eds!! :)

Susan

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Susan, I am in 7th heaven - just received 4 new Clematis from Debbie. I planted Josephine, Dr. Ruppel, Claire De Lune and Kermisiana. Ordered these last fall after seeing a photo of one from, I think it was James (Colorado) here on Dave's Garden.

Once again, she sent beautiful big well rooted plants with nice green shoots. I checked the four I planted last late summer and all have new shoots starting under the mulch, or leaf buds on the vines. Whoopee!
Claire

Happy birthday, Claire, and happy Clematis ever after. That Claire De Lune looks so heavenly. May I ask, who is Debbie? I'd love to have Josephine and have never seen Kermisiana.

The little ones for hanging baskets look so tempting!

I love Liberation!

Thumbnail by pirl
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

OMG, Pirl, Liberation is beautiful

Debbie is Silver Star Vinery-Clematis info

She sends plants bare rooted out of gallon sized containers filled with a huge root ball. I got 4 last late Aug and they are full of new sprouts.

Josephine: http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=452

Kermesina: http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=572

I had cleared out a line of grapevines last fall and am planting clematis instead. Nobody wants the grapes, even if you pick and clean them and we don't use them anymore. LOL

The link to Debbie didn't work - she is in the Garden Watchdog. ( edit)

This message was edited Mar 26, 2007 6:20 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.