What will you grow with your Clematis this spring/summer?

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I have four vines growing from last August. They were small this past fall. I do expect them to increase this spring/summer. They are on 2 ft wide X 8 ft. trellis. I want to plant something at the other edge of the trellis for color. It doesn't look as if the clematis will fill in very much, skinny little vines. Here is Pa. many people grow the old fashioned fragrant 6 ft.Sweet Peas. Is this an option?

I would plant morning glories or lab-lab beans, or moon vines, but feel they might strangle the clematis. I do not want to plant roses. I don't like them, they are too thorny, and I do not like th non thorny ones either. LOL

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

hmmmmm, i've been waiting to see what everyone wrote for their combos....we just moved, so i don't even know that i'll have any climatis survivors from my last ditch efforts to plant "my" flowers/plants....i will definitely have daylilies & some roses with my climatis and some hierloom flowers (type t.b.d)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

larlienda, I have hundreds of daylilies to plant with them. I felt they may look a little lost on their trellises and wondered if I could plant something to climb with them that would not 'strangle' them. ( All of my clematis are new)

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

se_eds;,,

Why not just go with the morning glories....If they get to big you could just trim them back a bit and it wouldn't be any big loss.... You could even just jerk them out of the ground if you see the clematis are going to need the room.......

..Dave

Milan, OH

I went crazy and ordered lots fo rose and clematis. I can't wait to get them this spring and get them planted.

Thumbnail by AnitaP
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds sensible Uncle Greenthumb. I had thought maybe they would strangle the clematis, but trimming them back in a good idea.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Personally, I wouldn't plant MG or moon vines with the Clematis. They will strangle the Clematis. I think they know that they have one season to do their stuff so put their all into it. Clematis and roses are such a beautiful pairing but since you don't like roses how about a shrub they can scramble through such as lilac that has a short bloom season.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Clematis look lovely growing with shrubs.

C. texensis 'Lady Bird Johnson' and Hollies.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

I have many planted with roses. I have a few on their own going up my deck, well they will, not yet though.

I also have more coming, and plan to sprinkle them around everywhere they won't clash.......:)
I would love that 'Lady Bird Johnson'! I think we should experiment with cuttings this year.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

The vines are planted on trellis on a 4X6 post along a carport, if I plant shrubs there or roses I won't be able to get into the car LOL. Wonder if Cardinal Creeper would work? Or one of the snail vines? I have grown Cardinal Creeper which gets quite long - but is not as vigorous as morning glories. Have not tried the snail vines yet, buy understand they are lovely.

Nikki: I have "Lady Bird Johnson" growing in full sun by the mailbox post. The green Hollies help to make her color pop! I'll try rooting some in the Spring and see if I can get it propagated.

se_eds: You could grow some of the shorter varieties of Clematis or the ones are can be grown in containers. Both the Cardinal Creeper & Snail Vines are beautiful. Perhaps, those are other possibilities.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Shirley and all, I am open to new suggestions as this summer will be my first to see them bloom.

se_eds: Please post pictures when they do bloom, because we love to see pictures!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Clematis goes well with most evergreen/decidous shrubs, they do get better with age, like fine wine. With that said, growing other tender vines along with its twinning habits is difficult to 'untangle' these vines and others. Some of mine experiments includes; growing on old tree stumps, tucked under Azaleas' base (since the roots like it cool, and the vine needs sun to produce flowers). These have worked well for me. Clematis on trellis? I planted evergreen "Armandi" then interplanted other deciduous clamatis next to its base so I've blooms in different seasons. "Armandi" a chinese origin, blooms profusely in early spring with its white flowers. Other hardy vines such as Campsis radican (yellow/orrange bell-shapes flowers) don't seem to mind sharing the space. I'll try to learn how to upload pics. So I can share these jewels with you in the springs (which is days away). Horraayyyss!!!!

This message was edited Feb 26, 2007 1:42 PM

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Lily-love. Sounds like you have some real beauties. Hope you learn to post those pictures. It really is not hard. Don't know about evergreen clematis in my area. I know evergreen daylilies, by and large perish during our freeze thaw weather.

The temps were 44 today. The first time since January. Yippee.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Just wondering if it is okay to plant clematis now in zone 7B? I noticed they have them in our garden centers now and it says it is okay to plant them in January...? Thanks.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd guess so but that's just a guess. We plant ours in March and you're warmer so it sounds good, Janet. The last place I'd trust is the word of any big box store but local garden centers should (read: should) give the best advice.

JanetS: If your soil is not frozen you can plant. Make sure to buy the biggest container of Clematis possible, so you have a well developed root system. Otherwise, you'll need to repot it into a 1 gallon container and grow it out for several months, then plant it in the Fall.

Shirley - that Fireworks is one splendid plant! I think of you whenever I go through my clematis photos.

Thumbnail by pirl
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info everyone!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Clematis growing in 7b;

These vines surely are hardy in our areas. Infact they don't like being in the greenhouse even during the coldest days. I've several that withstand 20'F. for days on end and came out undamaged. Just for precautionary purposes; you may try to 'harden them off' by exposing them out gradually for a week or so before you plant them to their permanent place. Come summer time, besure to mulch the base several inches thick. These plants like to keep their feet cool/shaded, but the vines need sun to produce flowers so train them to climb toward a sunny areas. Happy gardening! :)

This message was edited Feb 22, 2007 6:23 PM

Eugene, OR(Zone 8b)

Ok, I just bought a clematis jackmanii. The shoots above ground are only two or three inches high, but the roots go about eight or nine inches deep. Its final resting place will be a large pot next to a chain-link fence in full sun. Can I plant it there while it is this small, or should I grow it in a gallon pot until fall? Also, I like the idea of using an azalea to shade it. When can I plant the azalea? I have NEVER grown clematis before, so I really need some help. I don't want to kill it. Also, if there's a little mold at the base right next to the soil, how can I get rid of that?

The azalea will expand in less time than you might think so I'll let someone else who plants perennials by clematis advise you. Since the vine has to be cut back each year you can move it, in the large pot, when it becomes necessary.

I do like to start them off in a gallon pot for awhile but many people just like to plant them and forget them. To each his or her own ways.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi All,

I've tried to post this pic. very frustrating task, it took me forever! Grrrr!!!
But this is for se_eds. This young Magnolia x soulangiana has Clematis climbing on it for later show when the blosoms are spent.

Oooops! Wrong picture! (blushed), at least I know how to post picture, this attempt turned out the wrong one!

This message was edited Feb 25, 2007 4:06 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here goes! The mentioned Magnolia. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Lily-love - very neat picture, sharp and clear. I can figure it out that the magnolia will be in leaf and provide the shade needed for the clematis roots.

This is the situation where my clematis will be growing - there are three vines planted along this side. As you can see, I can't very well plant shrubs, roses or bushes along the edges, because then I can't get into the truck. LOL

Thumbnail by se_eds

Arlene: I just saw your picture of "Fireworks" and it is beautiful! I'm so glad it has bloomed beautifully for you!!

vpeak: Clematis "Jackmanii" is a 'tried & true' variety. It's a lovely Clematis, but it does get big & tall. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2162/index.html Is it possible to grow it in the ground instead of in a container? Usually shorter varieties are used in pots. Also, "Jackmanii" should be grown in full sun and Azaleas are usually shade loving shrubs. I would choose a shorter Clematis to grow with your Azalea that likes pt. shade conditions and won't over whelm it.

Lily_love: Your Clematis will look lovely on your Magnolia. Do you live near a river? What a beautiful view you have!

Here Jackmanii covers a 9'9" trellis and..........

Thumbnail by pirl

...grew over the top and all the way down the back of the trellis, then crossed the compost bins. It probably ended up being more than 26'.

(Personally I think it really loves the compost pile)

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow! I didn't know 'Jackmanii' could be that hugh! I planted some but I guessed improper prunning left mine a 'tiny todd'. LOL. Pirl, thanks for sharing the pic. Shirley1Md, I'm on a lakefront area. It's a great location during the growing seasons, but comes winter? It's way too cold! Brrrr.... I know, I know I shouldn't complaint about being cold in the South. But added the humidity and when the North wind hits, thus, windchills factor could bring us down to single digits temp .
Thanks for sharing the website for Clematis info. I need to do some searching. I noticed the above posts showing 'Fireworks' in what appears to have stripes like that of "Nelly Moser" whereas mine ('fireworks') are deep blue/purple and smaller in shape (flowers). These vigorous slender vines grow like mad in full sun. It's a fire crackers and I love it.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2007 10:14 AM

Arlene: Gorgeous picture of "Jackmanii"! It obviously is extremely happy growing by the compost bins!

Lily_love: It must be wonderful living by the lake in the Summer, but hadn't given it much thought in the Winter. However, winters in AL aren't as bad as further North...

Upstate NY, on Lake Ontario? That's bad!

Yes, Shirley, they do love the compost. When a storm took off the top of the copper trellis we had no choice but to cut it back quite severly and it bounced back (the photo shown here is from the rear) with its usual vigor once again. I do credit the compost. We have the same plant in three other places and it's not nearly as lush.

Thumbnail by pirl
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Seeds..I remember doing a mock-up for you on that part of your garden last year...will you get it planted this year?..Why not just plant clematis on the posts and plant daylilys across the front of your new bed and in between!!...Clematis when mature will fill that up and you won't need a rose....the purpose IMHO of planting roses with Clematis is because that way you always have something blooming and they compliment each other so well with the same needs and fertilizers....Woohooooooooooooooooooo.....Jeanne

This message was edited Feb 26, 2007 4:18 PM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2007 4:19 PM

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Lily_love,

I'm so glad you mentioned "Armandi". I have clematis growing in my wisteria but it's also purple and doesn't show up well. I've been thinking white would be a pretty contrast.

Debra

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Arlene, that Jackmanni is beautiful.

JeanneTx - your beautiful plan you sent will not be accomplished this summer as my husb needs to have a place left to cut some grass on his little John Deere tractor LOL. I think I can sneak in a few daylilies in front and maybe 8 or more on the 'back' side of the carport. Like you had mentioned, they will help to shade and cool th soil for the clematis vines.

I have 42 daylilies and 4 clematis vines ordered for this spring.

Last fall I cut down three mature grapevines as we do not make juice anymore ( my husb is diabetic and can't drink it). None of the neighbors wants to pick grapes either. I think they like to get them in little plastic bags. . Three of the four clematis will go on the fence where the grapes used to live. I have a spot left on the one carport trellis for the other one. Can't wait to get started.

Every time I read this thread I see another clematis vine that is calling my name.

Thanks - we credit the compost.

It's so true that once you start in with clematis you find yourself planting other things so the clematis can grow over, under and around them.

They should form a "living fence" on the old grape vine set-up for you. That will be a beautiful site!

Arlene:

Your C. Jackmanii is spectacular and it goes hand-in-hand with the rest of your gorgeous garden. You must have the best compost in all of Southold, NY!

If you haven't seen the pictures of Arlene's garden, hopefully she will supply you with a link to view them. She opens up her gardens every year for tours, plus providing refreshments and a map/hunt that will help visitors to find various plants of interest. It's a garden tour that shouldn't be missed!

fleursdefouquet:

Here is some information & links about "Armandii".

This Chinese species and its cultivars are strong climbers, from 15' to 30' (4.5 to 9 metres) depending on their situation, and so easy to train horizontally that they have become a favorite choice for running along the eaves of a roof.

Clematis On The Web: http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=112
International Clematis Society: http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/iclsframe.cfm?page=page16

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Shirley!

Debra

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Arlene,

Your jackmanii is magnificent!! (How did you get a 9'9" trellis??!!)

Thank you! Jack made it. His first try doing anything major with "art" and copper, though he's built many trellises, window boxes, etc.

Now the top portion is off, due to the storm, and the clematis wanders over the compost bins.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.