Fabulous Oak!

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

I would love to someday have one of these in my yard. This is a Quercus xsternbergii in fall

simply gorgeous!

This message was edited Dec 28, 2006 5:58 PM

Thumbnail by magoobu
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW...if I were younger I would start one of those from seed. Sweeeeet.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You got something against your grandkids? You'd deny magoobu's little ones the joy of seeing one of these full grown? I mean, of course, besides all the Aesculus you provide...

Trees are our gifts to posterity (in addition to kids). Plant one today.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK!...and with a viburnum next to it ...it would knock your socks off.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Bring out the sunglasses. Boy is that one bright red and lovely as can be. Where did you find such a red hot number. Never heard of it but now I want one.!!!!!!! That puts all my Quercus falcatas to shame.

Wonder if it would grow down here. How sweet that would look having a bunch of them lining my 500ft driveway on both sides.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I'm assuming this is one of Guy's hybrid introductions? What are the parent species?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I believe it's a naturally occurring hybrid named in honor of Guy. I cannot remember the parents and couldn't find them on a Google search. Magoobu, where did you obtain your specimen. I'm jealous!

Scott

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Did a google search with the 'x' spaced (i.e., "Quercus x sternbergii", not "Quercus xsternbergii"); turned up the parentage Q. shumardii x Q. buckleyi

Resin

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

I obtained it just where you have thought on Guy's website. And it is named after him - not sure of the "parents" but the color is so intense I just would love to have one in my yard! I am starting to really get into this tree stuff ! Wow so much I need in my yard it is mind boggling where to start but this looks like a good one!

edit cannot remember how to bold LMAO!

This message was edited Dec 28, 2006 7:12 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

You DO need alot in your yard.........and nothing better to start with. Maybe you could get THE MAN to actually provide one for you.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

well now there is an idea maybe I will ask him! Can never hurt to ask huh?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Resin..

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

"Q. shumardii x Q. buckleyi" , that explains the wonderful color.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mogadishu,

Yeah, plant some trees in your yard!

Scott

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

"This oak is a nothospecies. You can find them growing naturally in the north/south belt that runs through the Dallas area. This was named by Prof. Reinhold Luebbert, author of The World Register of Oaks. Book now available. http://www.koeltz.com
They are difficult to graft successfully due to Peroxidase enzyme incompatatbilities that can keep the graft from lignifying. So grafting is not currently a solution."

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 2:58 PM

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 2:59 PM

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 4:15 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Wow, Livealittle,

I'm impressed! Such language!

Scott

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

It's in quotes now..sorry. Why didn't you think they were my very own words????????

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Some people still do consider Q.buckleyi, Q.shumardii, and Q.nuttallii to be different varieties of the same species. I don't think I could tell them apart without having a book on hand.

We would expect no less from levilexicon.

Now, I have new book cravings. Thanks.

I can't wait for my copy to arrive of Atlas of Mapped Distributions of Dominance Modern Pollen Percentages for Important Tree Taxa of Eastern North America.

And only 11€...

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh my this is all over my head but glad everyone here understands I just think it is a pretty tree LMBO!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh that sounds like a real page turner SP.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

try saying VV's title five times in a row fast. LOL Talk about a mouth full. : )

Dumb question. Is this tre e available on the market yet, and where can we get it?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Not on the market (yet)

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Most comparable to it now would probably be Q.coccinea. I have seen some straight Q.shumardii with color like that but it seems to be variable.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

My dog says that from his perspective, all trees are the same and provide the same function / target.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL good point from a dog!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is an unpeeable species

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL I have never heard that term "unpeeable"

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I decided I had to finally look at this too. 'Wow' is the only descriptor that comes to mind -- that has to be the most spectacular scarlet red on an oak I have ever seen (I assume the photo has not been processed in any way, goes without sating, sorry for even suggesting it....). Is this in fact an available plant? And would it be z5b hardy?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the book link, Lovely Lady.

And I guess I should be proud that Minnesota hosted the Second International Desmid Symposium back in 1986. LOL

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Where is there a link to Guy's website so I can buy one of these trees? I love it. I also like that it is unpeeable. My dog Joey pees on everything!!

http://www.StarhillForest.com

The world of oaks will open before you.

(Zone 6b)

Guy doesn't sell trees(as far as I know) and this tree is only available in the wild in Texas and Oklahoma(and possibly 1 or 2 counties in Kansas). The only person I know of propagating Guy's Oaks are in Europe, so even if this does come on the market, you'd probably have to import it from Europe. People in the US just don't buy rare or unusual Oaks in enough numbers for it to be profitable for anyone to propagate them on any scale apparently, which is too bad because there are dozens upon dozens of wonderful rare and odd Oaks out there!

Also, I'd think this hybrid is hardy to zone 5, since both parents are hardy to zone 5.

Lastly, Q.buckleyi, Q.shumardii, and Q.nuttallii have shown themselves in early genetic testing to be quite distinct from one another and while at a glance they can look quite similar, they are easy to tell apart in the field with a little practice.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

hmmm

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

sniff... sniff. snifff.. I would really like to have this Oak. Wonder how many years I would have to get lost in the wild of Texas or Oklahoma to find it.

Your right about the variety of Oaks, Kman. I have a row of about 7 or 8 Oak seedlings that are about 10 foot tall and I have no idea yet exactly what they are but they have a cute leaf on them. Checked the area all around and the nearest Oak is a huge 100 plus Post Oak and a younger Southern Red. Has to either be something squirells brough t in and buried or some hybdrid cross.

Thing is, and this may be a really dumb question, but I don't know if the leaves on these seedlings are going to stay the same size or if they are going to get bigger. They all have 3 to 4 lobes with shallow sinuses, puby on the back and range an average of 3-4' from leaf tip end to petiole end.

I have other wild Oak seedlings all over the place and those all have about the same size leaves on them that momma has. I just have never seen seedling this tall in an Oak with such small leaves before. Has me puzzled.

(Zone 6b)

starlight1153,

It's hard to say if the leaves on your seedlings will remain the same or not. By the time most Oaks reach the 10' area, they start to show at least some mature leaf forms(like they'll have when they're full grown). There's a few Oaks down in your area which have smallish leaves also, and it's possible it's one of them(like Quercus austrina(Bastard White Oak) or Q. sinuata(Durand Oak), etc.). I've also seen Post Oak in the deep South with smaller oddly lobed leaves and it's possible that could be it as well. If the lobes are sharply pointed, then it's a member of the Red Oaks, and this could narrow the possibilities quite a bit. Also, leaves on healthy seedlings growing in full sun will look a lot different than the leaves on seedlings growing in shade, as well as leaves on mature trees growing in the area. Especially later season growth in full sun tend to be significantly smaller in size and it's possible this is going on with your seedlings. Just a few thoughts on possibilities, but if you could post a photo it could clear things up even more.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

I've got a young F2 Q.x runcinata - 'Bottom oak', a hybrid of Q.imbricariaXrubra - seedling, grown from an acorn Don Cobb brought me from the 'acorn swap' at the IOS meeting in Asheville, NC several years ago; who knows what the pollen parent was, but it's got tremendous red fall color, rivaling that of any Q.coccinea I've seen - and similar to that of the Q.x sternbergii shown above.
I have it planted in a prominent spot alongside my driveway, along with some Q.coccinea and Q.shumardii seedlings.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

would sun/shade affect the "reddness" of these levaves?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

YEE HAA...getting ready to plant these......

Thumbnail by levilyla
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

the hole

Thumbnail by levilyla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.