Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/678860/

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

If you plant them right, no need for supports.
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

From another thread.
A couple of things. If you don't want to mess around staking, plant deep. We have a machine that makes 4 rows at a time. It makes furrows 8 to 10 inches deep. All our glad bulbs are planted that deep. Then we cover about half way. After they poke through, we cultivate & the rest of the furrow fills. Buries any sprouting weeds, too. After the plants are about 18" tall, we again cultivate & then use a hiller to put about a 6" hill on the row. They do not tip over!
Somewhere they mentioned cutting, we cut about 5" above the soil. We are looking for long stems.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Bernie.
I will do it just as you say.
:-)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Just read this and I am not sure I understand, but I like the idea of not staking...LOL Laura, can you draw me a picture? LOL Am I understanding you dig down 8-10 inches, plant the corms, cover in about 4-5 inches, wait till they sprout, then cover the rest of the way another 4-5 inches, and when they are18" tall you put another 6inches of soil over the bottoms? Is that right? WOW!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Right.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, like I said. That is a lot of work unless you have the machinery I would think. I don't have machinery...but I will see what I can do to improvise, or perhaps I can rent one and get someone to help me with that! I would certainly save a lot of time and trouble! I have lots of glads to get into the ground, right, Laura! LOL...of course I may be doing them one at a time too...could take a while, but it would make the blooming season longer...LOL!!! Thanks for the info Countrygardens!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, Janet, you definately have a few glads to plant; 305 to be exact. :-) I only have 150, three times what I'd planned to plant, and 49 lilies, 100% more than I was considering when the coop opened. :-)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What coop ?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

We did a 3875 bulb co-op for glads (2600) and lilies (1275) from Blooming Bulb. They had a sale going until November 30.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

How much did you pay for the glads ?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

26 cents each, free shipping to me.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Here's a link to their glad page.
http://www.bloomingbulb.com/CartBulbs.asp?Category=4&

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I can get them for you in spring for roughly 8¢ per bulb. Only catch is 500 of a color is minimum. If you are sending to numerous people it wouldn't make any difference.
I checked Blooming Bulb link. Did you order 500 of a color to get that price?
Bernie

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Are you selling them CountryGardens?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

No, we got the 100 price; they were on sale at the time for 26 cents each.

500 is a lot of one color, but 8 cents is a good price! The most we managed was 195 of Plum Tart. We ordered 18 different colors of glads, and 26 different lilies, three at the 100 price, some at the 15, most at 25 or 50. Lilies were on sale as well.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No I'm not selling. Just have this place I buy from, it's not on the internet, plus wholesale only.
Bernie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I wish I was ten of me!!! LOL...I would just plant glads in every crook and cranny and have them blooming all summer..LOL...I love them!!!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

But if there were ten of you, then you'd each want the same amount of glads, and so...you'd need 100 of you...and then...lol

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

TRUE...guess God knew I should only be one....lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Move up here, you can help me. I plant around 15,000.
Bernie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

WOW!!! Sounds beautiful!!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's work.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Bernie, what is it hanging up to dry?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hope you have some help!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hot pepper plants that we cut before it froze.

Thanks bernie. I took mine off the plants, they dry up inside in a box. I grow Georgia Flame, not sure if I will use them though! If you get insect bites, rub the inside of a pepper on them, good for eczema too or any swelling.

Your glad bulbs look healthy.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Does your supplier sell anything other than glads? Also, I would love to see pictures of your thousands in bloom, do you have photos of them?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, of course.
Don't get a lot of color because they are cut for sale when just barely open. We cut 3x a week.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is just awesome...how many hours of sunlight do you think they need to bloom well? I have a couple of spots that get partial sunlight, maybe three or four hours a day that I would love to line some up along the back side of these beds...maybe some of the darker ones since the color stays better and won't bleach out as much in partial sun...what do you think?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't know, but we get longer days than you do in summer. Daylight here from 5 AM to 9:30 PM until August.
This bunch was planted June 6 & between buildings where light is restricted.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I think I will give it a try anyway...if they don't do great I can always move them...lol thanks for the pics I love the way your rows look so nice, and they are all standing...great way to plant them!!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

It would be great if they did well in partial sun - mine are going to try, anyway.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have some that actually growing "under" some forsythia bushes and they bloom quite well, so I am going for it too! LOL They still get a lot of sun, just not eight hours....

Who gets 8 hours of sun a day? We have long summer days like Bernie, but not the heat or hours of sunshine as a rule, though 2006 was an exception.

Glads have grown well on the west side in mostly shade, the neighbour had some there, and some returned for a while but they weren't dug up. Go for it!

We get 8 hrs of sun a day even in winter--its about 7:30am to about 5:30pm now--that is amended to add if the sun even shines at all (which is rare this winter). Let's rephrase that to: I have enough light for this Ipheion 'Alberto Castillo' to bloom today......

Thumbnail by dmj1218

But not enough light for this Oxalis lobata that really wants to bloom to bloom..... =(

This message was edited Jan 6, 2007 10:06 AM

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

So how much water do glads need?

Deb, my Ipheon Wisley Blue is in flower too, has been for a while. They must like it dull!

4paws, I think the water question is like asking how long is a piece of string. So much depends on temperatures, soil types etc, but I think they like to be dry while dormant, average moisture when in growth. Most bulbs or corms cope fairly well with some dryness, the corms are a sort of storage organ.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, I understand that, wallaby, but you did answer my question. It's not dry here when they are dormant, but I have excellent soil and drainage for the most part; summer water is the tricky part, unless the irrigation is back online next summer.

Countrygardens, how did you get into growing cut flowers? How did you find someone to sell them to?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.