if you could only have 3 plants..........

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

what would they be and why?

this may have been done before, but lately all i've seen are threads about the evil ones we hate! LOL

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

HORRORS!!!

A blueberry so I could eat them, a rose so I could look at them, and aloe for burns.

Of course, in 2 minutes I'll have three others for three other reasons.

What about you, trackinsand?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

lol, i forgot to put those down, didn't i? my three would be Calliandra emarginata (dwarf powderpuff), a red Knockout rose and my enormous Euphorbia milii (thai giant, i think), also called crown of thorns. all three bloom non-stop with little care and give me diversity in their form, foliage and color.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Peace rose. Sydonie (Vibert) rose. And Veronica liwanensis, for the most sublime shade of blue.

Phoenix, AZ

Beefsteak Tomato, Sweet Basil, and Daphne.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

This is impossible. I would have trouble in just choosing only three hosta.....or three iris.....or three rex begonias.....or three ferns......you get the idea.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

trackinsand must be thinking up a new Stephen King novel.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yes, and i'm going to call it "Beefsteak". LOL

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I can see the Jack Nicholson role now... a pair of overalls, an undershirt (torn), and a pitchfork... tomato juice everywhere...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

a jalepeno pepper plant, cilantro and a tomato (salsa garden).

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

mmmmm.............

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I would have to say my Tamora rose because it's beautiful! My Aphrodite Hosta because it's huge, beautiful, and smells so good. My huge huge solid White Lantana because it is so beautiful in the summer and is non failing for many blooms and long blooming.

Lin

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum 'Kern's Pink', Rose 'Nicole Carol Miller' and Tropical Hibiscus 'Rum Runner'......the Viburnum is so lovely in bloom, all my garden buddies want her when she's in full bloom. Nicole Carol miller is everything I love in a rose, lavender/blue color, fragrant like no other (sweet, fruity, strong!), and blooms all season, and the Hibiscus is so unusual in its coloration - I just haven't seen any others quite like it, the blooms are huge, the plant over-winters easily in the garage, and blooms all summer.

Great thread yet again Debi!! :-) You always come up with the best ideas .....

Jamie
pic is of Viburnum 'Kern's Pink' blooming away in mid May '05

Thumbnail by jamie68
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Holding a gun next to my head is the only way you can force me to chose! :-)
So let's pretend....
Brugmansia, cherry tree, camellia...
or,
no, forget it, we are pretending!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

well, this is too weird. i just got through posting on your welcome mat thread. i fell in love with your cottage. once again, welcome to dg! debi

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

well debi; you have made your words count! What are the chances of seeing each other like this ey!
Thank you for your kind words; they make a difference in my day and in my heart!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, wow, Debi, you're mean LOL. Peace rose (just my all-time favorite rose). Stargazer lily (look forward to this bloom all season). Phalaenopsis Anthura Cali (this white moth orchid has bloomed almost non-stop for me for 4 years).

hi, Mrs Colla. you have an adorable house! and you do a mighty big amount of gardening in that yard. very nice :0)

gram ~a girl~

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

hah! who would have thought you'd be secreting away a white moth orchid up there in NY! there's more to you than meets the eye, gram.........and here i thought you were just all about roses. lol

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Deb, you'll have to start using both eyes LOL a girl's gotta have something to do in the winter in western NY

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL as john would say, "make soup".

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

should have posted this pic I just took. It has 2 more spikes, so not all the buds have opened. pic was edited by my friend Nancy (nap)

Thumbnail by grampapa
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh wow, that's incredible. have you painted it yet?

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

A lily
an orange coneflower
a rose
(sometimes I think 3 lilies) ;0)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Debi, haven't painted anything in a long time.

edit to add: of course, this is mostly black & white, so how much paint could it need? LOL

This message was edited Jan 9, 2007 10:58 PM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

debi...you're a masochist....how can we choose just 3 plants??? LOL

Mine would be: Phlox divericata...any color...I don't care
Asiatic lily's ( that don't rot in my soil....)
Eremerus lily

I really don't think I'm asking for much !!!!!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

have you lily-lovers seen the new rain lily from plantdelights? it's gorgeous!!! http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/06975.html

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

never heard of rain lily...now here we go with the zone envy again (or at least zone pushing LOL)...these are all z7, I'm z6, and I want one (whine). I'll have to check out some other sources and see if I've got a chance ;0) (think it'll stop me if they say no???)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

they can live in a pot...........you can bring the plant in..........make room...........!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

and I made the mistake of going to that site. Oh boy am I fixing to be in trouble. Thanks Trackinsand! : )) pod

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

If I had to choose just three, I would not choose my favorites which are lilies, iris and clematis. I would choose something so I could have mostly all summer blooms and those would be tall coreopsis, jolly bee geranium and nearly wild rose shrub.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

There is still room in my heart for... the rain lily!!! What a gergeous flower, thank you for introducing me Trackinsand!

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

A Japanese plum tree, a mimosa and turnips.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i love seeing everyone's choices here! lc2, you're not alone, though you may think you are since the mimosa has such a bad rap! i love them too and i had a huge one when i lived in the keys. it was the only one i ever saw that far south and living so close to the ocean (100' away). it got periodic drenchings with saltwater from high tides and hurricanes, but it thrived. it was the centerpiece for my shade garden. i never had problems with seedlings popping up and it didn't cause the mess that so many people complain of. i just planted two of them here in my new yard and i don't care who knows it! LOL

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

LC2...turnips? it's funny, my mother was the least fussy eater I ever knew. she loved food. the one thing she would not eat was turnips. just wondered why. is it just your favorite veggie? I adore cauliflower, but I didn't pick it for my favorite 3 plants. I guess I should have. gram

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i love raw turnips, but hate them cooked. there was a turnip field by my house when i was growing up. maybe they were so delicious because they were pulled straight from the ground-or could it be because they were taken without persmission? lol

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

tracks, I'm the same with spinach. love it in a salad. but if you cook it in my house, I'm leaving LOL can't even stand the smell.

somewhere, PA

Cruel & Inhumane! THREE plants????? Well, I gotta have a big ole shade tree... maybe a nice maple tree.
and I just could not survive a summer without tomatos so a nice beefsteak tomato and and and .... grass.
Cause I just love the green carpet and the weeds come in for free so they don't count on my limit of three :-)

Tam

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

tammy, you are too funny. laying in the grass under a big tree and eatin' your tomato. lol

somewhere, PA

:-)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

gram, i'll take spinach any way i can get it!!! different strokes.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.