hieght for containers

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I have several whiskey barrels in full sun and would like to know what I can use for vertical plants in them - I like lush looking things, but we get dry weather (low humidity) in the summers. This year, I used purple fountain grass as a background to my planing, and it looked nice, but I would like something a bit bigger.
Also, would sweet potato vines do ok in full sun??
Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Phormium makes a great tall plant for the center of a container--they're not hardy in your zone but they are absolutely gorgeous both in the garden and in container plantings so if you don't mind losing it over the winter (or have a place to protect it), it could be a really nice choice. There are a number of different ones with different color leaves so you can pick one that will best complement whatever else you are planning to put in the container.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=phormium&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
Some of the taller kangaroo paws (Anigozanthos flavidus) are also great focal points. Again not hardy in your area, but if that doesn't bother you that could be another good option.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2032/index.html
Both of these do just fine with dry summers.

how quickly do those grow? Will they reach their full size in one year? Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Phormium's don't grow super quick, if you don't have a place to keep it over the winter I would look for one in a larger size container (if you buy them in a 5 gal container they're usually pretty good size). Although they're sort of expensive then if you don't have a way to save them over the winter. Anigozanthos flavidus gets its height from tall bloom stalks--I've bought blooming ones in 1 gal pots before so you wouldn't have to go all the way to 5 gal on them.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

What about minature sunflowers? They have varieties that are 2 - 3 feet with smaller seed heads and more branching habit than one tall stalk. Need to check if they have the branching habit as not all mini sunflowers have this characteristic.

Another suggestion is Tuberoses, single variety. I grew these for the first time this year and enjoyed them a lot. Very fragrant, white flowers. However they only bloom for 3 weeks so may not be a good choice for whole summer of bloom.

Sue

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6b)

They like a lot of water but I have grown cannas in large pots. Some can be as tall as 6 feet! Some have burgundy foliage, some are striped! The flowers are sort of small in proportion to the leaves but they DO have a presence. "Tropicana" has fine orange and yellow stripes on a green background and flame colored flowers - they look like a torch!
There are some that are shorter in height (3-4 feet - I think). There are many to choose from. You can dig and store the tubers from year to year if you wish.
Also some of the salvias can be tall - salvia guarantica 'Black and Blue', salvia 'Lady in Red' usually (for me in zone 6) about 3 or sometimes 4 feet.
Or you can place a 'tepee' (of whatever height you like) in the pot and grow a vine up. Cardinal climber, morning glories, the climbing nasturtiums, black-eyed susan vine, scarlet runner bean, hyacinth bean, clematis. If the tepee is decorative, you don't need to grow anything on it - it adds height by itself.
Pat

“Also, would sweet potato vines do ok in full sun?? Thanks!”

This was our first year to plant sweet potato in a 20-gallon container (we use ProMix). We set the container in the only available space; facing south (full sun) adjacent to the pool’s added reflection. They did great and we had an unexpected bumper crop of sweet potatoes!

Wow. great to know about the sweet potatoe vines! i wouldn't think they would survive that! I think mabe I will try cannas. Sue, what kind of foliage do the tuberoses have? I've always wanted to grow them, but haven't tried.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have been using Ornamental Millet, Purple Majesty http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54760/index.html
For height in my containers, coleus for no-stop color and the sweet potatoe vine to drape over the edge.
Thses plants hold up all summerand will fill up the container over the growing season. I use moisture control potting soil to help with the watering issue.

Here is a picture of my container 2 years ago at about 2-3 weeks growth.

The red coleus filled in nicely when the yellow flowers that you see hanging over the edge gave out. (can't rember what they were)

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

How about a banana? Bamboo is another option and there are plenty of hardy types.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.