NOTHING IN PARTICULAR PART V

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Another adventure begins! More exciting than last minute Christmas shopping! Almost as breathtaking as a beautiful C&S specimen with a half-off price sticker! Able to leap buildings with a single bound, and to create belly laughs from across the country!

This conversation started on another thread about dollar C & S plants but went off topic many, many times as fellow C & S lovers discovered that they had million other things in common. We are still enjoying each others company, this is the 5th thread since they tend to get lengthy. Newbies and experts are welcomed with open arms.

This is a thread about Nothing in Particular where we talk about what is really going on in our little plant-lovin lives. And, as we have proved over and over, although all of us are obsessed with plants, we have soooooo many other loveable quirks, too! Each of us is a very, very different personality........and the stories and conversations have wandered through beloved (and sometimes nosey) pets......Greek food....Computer tips....clueless cashiers.......imaginary yard bears....scary full moon creatures...midnight web splurges.....attack baņo spiders....and full contact roller skating.

*****Warning for the serious: if everyone you know considers you to be completely sane; if you hate a good laugh at yourself; if you've never heard a chorus of angels sing "Laaaaaaaa!!!!" as the clouds parted and a beam of light hit a new plant at a nursery; if you've never tripped over your own feet or your own tongue in public, and MOST importantly if you consider having 10 plants in your collection to be even remotely close to enough, this could get uncomfortable for you!!!*****

Nothing is off-topic here, as long as it meets acceptable use policies, including NO CUSSING! (a reminder for those of us, including myself, who are lingually challenged.....LOL....) Be good and have fun.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

I am so happy to have my computer back!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!

I got so much done this last week because I couldn't surf or shop or chat with friends......Cleaned out the closet, did 6 months of filing, rearranged stuff, cleaned some more, put out pine straw on my bulb beds.........

I've also been listening to a book on my knockoff Ipod, so I am quite the expert on the court politics and scandals during Henry the Eighth's reign.........I needed a 20 hour book to keep me occupied, and not too scarey since my LH was out of town- I can do almost any boring chore while listening to a book! It was great fun, but I missed my LH greatly and of course missed my computer too.....

The good thing is that it cut off my buying spree- good thing because the temps suddenly dropped down to 23 degrees two nights ago! My garden looks like something out of Beetlejuice....very gothic, LOL!!!

How have y'all been while I was out of touch? Have you been behaving?

Erin

Tampa, FL

Welcome Back Erin!! Another splenderific, wonderful intro...no one does it quite like you!!! nice that you were so productive!!! Yes, aimless, but pleasant computer chat does take up more time than we realize!! I have always LOVED Henry the VIII, whenever there is a movie, or documentary on about his reign..i always tune in...of course my favorite, was when Genevieve Bujold played Anne Boleyn..an oldie but a goodie!! Well, Jax, i can see why you would not be thrilled with Christmas...that would drive me to distraction!! Fortunately, my hubby and i are both "Bah Humbugs".. tho, i did venture into the mall yesterday...what a nuthouse..i ventured in and left...couldn't deal with the hordes!! Maybe your dh had a very deprived Childhood Christmas...now he is overcompensating??? I do hate, to clean up and put away after Christmas...take care all!! It's been chilly here...i love it...no frosts, thank goodness..

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Now I need to rent a DVD series on Henry VIII- the book I am listening to is "the Other Boylen Sister", from the point of view of her sister, the first one he....well....."knew." (hope that one made it past the DG censors, LOL!!!) Although I love period pieces, especially BBC, I am not usually a reader of "historical" novels, but I have been having so much fun with this one! The reader is excellent, too, which makes all of the difference. Thank goodness my LH just left to shoot clay targets with his buddies, now I can pot up my new eBay purchases and put them on the indoor Bakers rack I FINALLY got....after 2 months of wrestling with Homedepot.com and a damaged shipment from Overstock.com.....most of my Walmart C&S are on a Lowes rolling rack that I bring in and out of the shed but my "Extra Special" babies will stay indoors UNLESS they decide they want more cold....I'm still learning.....

Now I am signing off the computer for a little bit so that I can enjoy the gorgeous weather and pot up some plants, darn it! I also need to assess the damage from the other night, lots of stuff in my yard has hopefull been shocked into dormancy so that I can whack it back and pinestraw over it....if not I will wait until after the next hard freeze. The weather is warming right back up this week, so it's hard to know which way to jump!

Erin

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oooh I see we have changed to roman numerals now! how elegant!

I've been out for the count for almost a week with a kidney infection - you know you are sick when not only do you not have the energy to read DG but you don't even want to bother turning the computor on! Anyway I am recovering and getting to read my favorite threads again - like this one - and saw something about cats using the toilet on the previous thread and somebody wondered if they could flush?
Take a look at this video and your question will be answered!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6497257644936185526

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

fancy, that's TOO FUNNY!!! You made my day!!! They should send that to America's Funniest Home Videos. They'd win, and maybe it would pay for their water bill!

If I'm depressed, I go to UTube and search for "Kittens". There are tons of videos with cute kittens doing cute kitten antics- it's hard to be down after watching them! One has a kitten sitting up and just falling asleep until it falls over-LOL!

Now I'm coming down w/ a cold! I must be channeling my son's sickness; he emailed to say he was feeling sick on Fri., and Sat. I was shakes/body aches. Sun., coughs and more aches. I think I am allergic to Christmas.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh cool!!!!! I LOVE the cat video... whew, but their water bill is going to be outrageous if they leave the cat alone in the bathroom all day LOL!

Tampa, FL

Oh Fancyvan, i forwarded that link to another cat loving friend!! That is amazing! thanks for the link! I think a plumber is in their future...i am sure the door to that bathroom is closed when they are not videoing their kitty!! He isn't using the toilet for elimination purposes, just for entertainment! That was a hoot...you can see him starting to lose interest after he messes up the flushing sequence....Melissa, sounds bad...seems like more serious than the usual bug most folks have here! Take care of yourself..go to the Dr. and don't try to tough it out....i did get to escape a couple of company Christmas parties...heehee..(i would rather stay home, than make boring small talk!)....hubby had to go...poor thing..

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I think I see, at several points, that the cat checks to see if there is another handle on the other side of the tank. That is scary-smart!!! It is rainly and blah here today, thanks for the sunshine!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Glad you enjoyed the video. I cried I laughed so hard when I first saw it. Keep wondering how long the cat was doing that before they wondered why the water bills were high?

I am finally starting to feel human this week after being seriously ill last - antibiotics are sure a gift to mankind! Anyway I have not been able to eat hardly anything for almost a week except some really odd ball things like grapes and potato chips and last evening very late I got a terrible craving for french fires! Well I was not about to go out and get them and the dogs are not allowed to drive so I just went to bed. *Sigh* But a little while ago since I needed to go to the post office I stopped off at KFC and brought home a box of chicken and a BIG order of fries. Man were they good! I may pay for it later but sure dont care! First 'decent' meal (is KFC really decent food?) Ive had in about a week!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ah Fancy...so glad you're feeling better that is nothing to mess with...will cont. to keep you in my prayers, for sure!! I LOVE the potatoe wedges at KFC!!! Yum-my!!!
Erin - if you ever write a book please let me know!! THAT was too funny as always!!!

Sue and Jax - how are ya'll feeling?

Tampa, FL

Pretty good Chantell, a bit of a congested cough left over...stinky stuff!! Yum, deep fried anything is wonderful!! But not for the health or shape!! lol...Here is the top of a package i am mailing to my little niece..i have started her collecting "Scottish Terrier stuff" a while ago..so it has now become a Christmas "tradition" if you will..that a Scotty adorns her box...i was bored one night...and started to paint...it is a sort of Christmas Card to you all... especially if you are named "Anna".....(didn't that fit in nice? heehee)..happy Holidays !!!!

Thumbnail by weedsgalore
Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Even my LH laughed out loud watching that video!!! He has become a cat lover against his will. Our cat finally won, my LH has even used the "L" word about Riley....

****snicker****

We are decorating tonight, my LH picked out the tree, hung the wreath and got the decorations down, he's hanging lights and I'll do the rest......it will be very festive here in a few hours!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Hola, Ladies..!

Erin, great intro, as always..!

So, how are the sickies? Hope you're getting better! I hear ya Fancyvan, if it weren't because of the antibiotics, I'd still be a weakling by now.

Sue, that scotty drawing is marvelous..!! You are one very creative and artistic lady..!

The cat video reminds me of Bailey and my son when he was younger and just found out how to operate the flusher. Bailey would look inside the toilet bowl while the water swirled around with his head swirling around too. Hilarious. Too bad I never got it on video camera. You know how it goes, run out to get the camera and the party's over...LOL.
Alrighty, I have to go back to packing things, we're leaving for LA on Wednesday morning, my aunt and uncle from Fla is visiting their son for Christmas, grandma's coming with them too, so we'll be spending time with them this week, instead of next week. No way we're gonna travel anywhere next week with all the holiday travel chaos.

P.S: Marilyn, this weekend we won't be back till Sunday night. So I'm aiming at next weekend, Saturday. I will let you know for sure though. Don't worry if you couldn't be there. I really don't wanna miss the sale..! :o)

This message was edited Dec 11, 2006 3:02 PM

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Sue, you are an amazing artist!!! I would love to see your cartoons!

I'm really achy and weak w/ a sore throat. Funny. I don't have an appetite, but the only thing that sounded palatable were some of those bland but YUMMY cheap shortbread cookies-- hey, to keep my strength up, of course!

A comedian once said that KFC's slogan should be: "We do chicken, right?" In my effort to see the 130ish pound area in my scale again, I haven't gone near a fast-food place in a year. I get terrible cravings for the crispy chicken sandwich from McD's-- I think it is all that slimy Mayo they use...

Jax has the rip-roaring kitty crazies and is bouncing off the ceiling. I don't have the energy to keep up!

This message was edited Dec 12, 2006 9:09 AM

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Sue - Your painting is GREAT!!!!!!! Wow! I wish I could paint, draw, or whatever like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't even do that with lines and numbers!!!!!!!

I'm thinking I'm gonna train my cats to use the toilet... yup.... I'm tired of scooping!

Tampa, FL

Thanks gals, You as ever are so wonderfully supportive..which is super nice in this rather unfeeling world!! Hope you feel better Melissa...why is it when we are sick...the healthy stuff doesn't have much appeal? But when a nice cookie wanders by, it is pure comfort food?! Hubby, brought home one of those "company handout" gargantuan snack tins...this one had a marvelous variety of about 15 nicely sealed little bags (which i would joyfully rip apart like a hungry tyrannasaurus Rex...arggghhhhra) of superb homemade cookies, in winsome shapes, cool little sprinkles of pure sugar... the everpresent chex snack mix..with CASHEWS!!! teensy little melt in your mouth cookies with almond flavoring, (a favorite) ooh,ooh, i am salivating as i remember them..sigh.....teeny chocolate dipped somethings or other with crunchy bits.....well that sucker (the whole tin) lasted 4 days here at our house (remember there is only 2 of us) What a fun binge...a never-ending cookie-a-thon....remember i had just dropped a ton of weight...and i haven't been biking due to my cold (2 -gulp- weeks!)...haven't been NEAR the scale...well, the tin is ALL GONE...and it is time to behave....sure was FUN though!!!!.....heeheeheeheeheeehheee--grunt...grunt....grunt...oink..oink...oink....do you feel the urge for a cookie yet???

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Kelley- train a cat!!! LOL!!!

Sue, STOP!!! I gained 10 pounds reading your post!!! Must..have..chashews... actually, I can't taste a darn thing with this cold!

Most importantly, all is right with the world: JAX HAS HIS FAVORITE BALL AGAIN!!! Over the summer, Jax lost his little yellow soccer ball made of foam rubber. He used to carry it from room to room in his mouth. Well, I went to the grocery store yesterday, and lo! I found a new one. I bought it and brought it home, and he is in HEAVEN!!! He brings it to me to fetch! He has a dozen little foam cat balls that he casually bats around; why is he drawn to a yellow and black ball? Cats can't see color! He had black soccer designs on several balls that were NOT yellow! This is a puzzle...

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Jax - Yeah, your right... WHAT WAS I THINKING? Train a cat? LOL Maybe I should have said that I was going to train myself to allow the cats to use the toilet which they already know how to do... heehee

Tampa, FL

Sorry friends....i think i was still on my sugar "high" when i posted that.....lol...yes, they sure do have their favorite toys? You can't figure out cats!!! Don't even try!! got up this am and my swimming pool was HALF-EMPTY!! Looked at the pump/filtration system...spouting like a geyser in the air!!! (thank god i caught it before the pool popped out of the ground!!!!! yes, this does happen in Fla!) cha-ching - cha-ching....always something? Right at the holidays...i am convinced everything waits for Christmas..then lets go?

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

OH MY GOSH, Sue!!! Yes, pools DO pop outta the ground here! LOL You're lucky you caught it before your pump burned up too!!!

Tampa, FL

For sure kelley!! Fortunately it was the small pump..(about $200.00) we had refurbished the pool inside and outside, new pumps,heater etc.... (about a year ago) as it was 20 yrs. old (looking like an eyesore)...i can just imagine all the pebbletek cracking off, newly installed tile popping off, decking slate popping off.....we enjoy the pool..but if i had it to do over...i wouldn't have one...(big pump is ok!) sheesh....i got out a pair of pliers/screwdriver and took off the automatic timer..(dh was at work)..didn't even call him... I am rather proud of myself..as i am not very technically oriented...lol...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Howdy gang!
I am baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Spent two wonderful and exhausting weeks travelling in Denmark, with a "slight" detour to Germany of 1000 miles!
While I was in Denmark my first week I decided that going to Germany on a "detour" was the way to go! Got a ticket, threw myself and my extra heavy suitcase on a train and off I went, returned to "the scene of the crime" of 13 years ago (met DH there and basically "grew up" there) and found myself remembering and speaking the German I once knew, got a room on base, that is thanx to 20 years of military service I guess, still reap the benefits of cheaper rooms and access to library and shopping on base - the biggest in Europe! Found that everything had changed, and even with several flashes of deja vu and "oh my, I HAVE been here before" I did do some serious driving around and getting lost! I did get the most awesome rental car! Compact Mercedes something - wow, did I drive fast on the Autobahn or what!! Hehehe!
SO I spent the next 4 days re-exploring and reminiscing - shopping and ate way too much fatty, awesome foods! Even drank too much white wine one night, but what the hey, havta do that when in Germany! Met up with some ooooooold friends - even ran into people I had forgotten all about!
Had to return to Denmark due to travel home was from the airport there - cousins wife had arranged for us to stay at her fathers 44 foot sailboat! Interesting to say the least - try maneuvering a 62 lbs suitcase over three boats! Shower was in the building next to boat - on shore - I did take some amazing pix of my "lodgings"!
Did get to explore Copenhagen and wanted to visit Tivoli and the Danish Botanical Gardens - took at least a 150 pix and loved every minute of it - the BG had the most incredible collection of C&S - unfortunately I only got to see a tiny fraction of them, but it was worth the trip!
Returned to 200++ e-mails and job offers, so now I am playing catch up, with both work and house - need to get caught up on Christmas which has been delayed slightly due to trip and current visit from cousin w/baby boy!
DH only lost a few plants in my absence - he watered, but not enough - some looked a little wilted and maybe I can bring 'em back to life - but, as we know, they can be replaced!
Y'all be good, once I get caught up I will load pix of trip and Botanical Gardens! Becky

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, Becky - Sounds like a fantastic trip!!!!!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Welcome back! You were missed!

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Your trip sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Glad you made it home safe.
Laura

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Welcome back, Becky! Sounds like you had an awesome trip..!!!

Tampa, FL

yay! Becky, sounds mahvelous!! Can't wait to see some pics!!

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Welcome back, Becky! Job offers, do tell! How cold was it in Denmark? They still have boats out?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

UGH!!!! Didn't have the thread "saved" AGAIN!!! Becky....THAT was some trip....how fun was that!?!? So happy for you!!!
Sue - late, I know...but that Scottie was great!!!
I still gotta watch that video ya'll were talking about...
Time for bed....here's a goofy pic of my youngest Rottie with a present I received...what a goober!!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Ohhhh Sue, that's a wonderful pic!! I miss my female rotty SO much!! She was my absolute pride and joy (don't tell my son's that! LOL). She was so cool and loved people to death (didn't like other dogs though... she was always sure another dog never got close to me LOL... a little jealous!).

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

fancy - love the cat video! Thanks for sharing.

Weeds - I'm so jealous! You have such a wonderful talent, and I can't draw a straight line without a ruler! LOL

Welcome back, Becky! Look forward to seeing your pics, especially of the C&S at the botanical garden and Germany, where my family is also from.

Chantell, Rotties are such goofy dufuses, aren't they? My Rowdy was, and also such a gentle soul. It's almost 2 years since he's been gone and I still miss him immensely.

That creeping crud that's been going around caught up with me a little over a week ago. I'm a lot better, but still have a lingering cough. I always worry about coughs because of my lung problems, so I hope it goes away soon. It's just as well that we postponed our visit to the Garden BK, since I'm trying to stay in until I'm well. Next weekend should work out just fine. Hope you have a great trip to FL.

Marilyn

This message was edited Dec 15, 2006 4:41 PM

Tampa, FL

Giggle, no, no, girls...that is "Chantell's wonderful pic of a rottie", she was talking about a little illustration i did of a SCOTTIE not ROTTIE!!! hee hee...i have the 3 CATS!! no rotties here....great pic Chantell...you girls hitt'in the egg nog already?? lol....sue

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

OK, OK, so I had a Senior Moment and got the name wrong! HEHEHEHEHE I've fixed it now. Sorry, Sue and Chantell!

Marilyn

Tampa, FL

Well i am glad someone else has "senior moments"!! lol.. Marilyn,.hope your cough is better..it IS so frightening when these coughs and congestion go right to the lungs..i have asthma, but only when i get one of those nasty colds..it must have run it's course here in fla. less of my friends have it and are recovering! Hope that cough goes away...mine finally did..didn't think it ever would! Maybe we will all be well for Christmas!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey hey again - still have not loaded my pix, been absolutely swamped - have had 10 minutes with my plants, I am expecting a revolt here soon from most of them. Have managed to unpack at least! :) House looks like a bomb has dropped, Christmas presents everywhere, none wrapped of course - one thing I have managed is shopping, having cousin with 7 month old Turbo-baby here has at least given me opportunity to shop! That is why she came! They leave tomorrow so then I get to assemble house back to order again - silly things like getting decorations up! I still feel like I have jet lag from you know where - it sucks getting old!

It's DH birthday weekend, so last night we had a few hours to ourselves, went to DC and had dinner and finally got to see "Moving on out" - he managed to get tickets and I loved it - if any one of you ever have the chance to see it, do! Tonite it's dinner and chilling out - take cousin and baby to airport tomorrow and then I havta play "Turbo" Becky - get everything done and work as well, on top of all the "stuff" that has gone on this week I have had to work my behind off as well, took on a job that turned out to be beyond difficult - but I guess I havta pay for all my travels - I head back to Norway end of January - wedding!
Hope y'all have a continuous great weekend, gotsta get ready and head out here myself, more shopping - how she is gonna fit it all in one suitcase is beyond me! I can hear Turbo-baby upstairs, I'll post pix of him as well, I know I am biased, but he truly has to be the best behaved and cutest baby in the world!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Sue... uh Chantell,,, uhhh Sue,,, no, wait,,, LOL Sorry about that!!!!!!!!!!!! Too many names/people to keep up with !

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey gals (and guys)!
Sounds like everyone is drowning in a sea of boxes, paper, pet hair and other "joys" of the Holiday season...
I have no time to check in, but thought I'd say "hi" and to tell everyone that my Euphorbia obesa is BLOOMING!!! For the first time!!! I'll take a pic as soon as I 1. Find the camera; 2. charge the battery; 3. find some time, and 4. get my head screwed on straight. Why is it my plants do their very best when my back is turned???? I find it funny when I hear that some people get a person to "plant sit" even if they are gone a few days... my plants LOVE IT when I'm gone! They bloom, grow, and generally party!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Happy Sunday! I braved the crowds at Target yesterday with a girlfriend and her daughter, got in some nice "chick time", finished all but a couple of my last minute purchases, and my LH got to go shooting with his buddies guilt free. (Like he ever has to deal with guilt.....he gets to play more than any man I know, that way I get to play with my plants!)

My LH and I just got back from a long walk, the weather prediction for today is EIGHTY degrees!!!!! Good gravy! No wonder I had such a hard time getting fully into the Christmas spirit! It's supposed to cool down right before the actual holiday, hopefully we will get to build a fire in the fireplace on Christmas eve.

I'm wrapping, boxing up and mailing. ("last minute Lucy" here.....hee hee....)
****note to all: please dont be confused by the additional name........my name is still Erin........*****
***snicker********

At least the house is decorated and the tree nearly finished......yikes!

Tampa, FL

Hi all, i see we are all busy as bees getting those gifts, decorating. etc. i didn't feel like getting the Xmas stuff from the attic crawl space...too much work...i did succumb to a Lowe's sale on their little Rosemary trees..so cute. trimmed like mini Xmas trees...and smell so nice..$5.00!! That is about it for Xmas spirit...been potting up long neglected succulents..they really need some new soil...it is HOT here too Erin..i am wearing sleeveless shell and shorts while i pot up stuff..mosquitos are biting? go figure...bye for now..sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.