Holiday recipes

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Please post your favorites here. Can you tell we like food almost as much as plants? LOL

This from an old, old Culinary Arts Institute cookbook - I've already worn out one copy and the second copy is old as the hills.

Stollen
(makes two loaves)

1 1/3 cups toasted blanched almonds, chopped
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup chopped citron
1/2 cup currants
1 tbsp grated lemon peel
2 packages active dry yeast
1 cup milk, scalded
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened (use real butter - it makes a difference)
2 tsp salt
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp ground nutmeg
6-7 cups all purpose flour
3 eggs well beaten
melted butter
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp milk or cream

Reserve 1/3 cup of almonds for topping

Mix remaining almonds, raisins, currants, citron and lemon peel. Set aside

Soften yeast in warm water.

Pour scalded milk over sugar, butter and salt in large bowl. Stir until butter is melted, cool to lukewarm.

Blend in a mixture of 1 cup flour and nutmeg, beat until smooth. Stir in yeast.

Add about half of remaining flour and beat until very smooth. Add beaten eggs in thirds, beating well after each addition. mix in the reserved fruit/nut mixture. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest 5-10 minutes,.

Knead until smooth and elastic. Form into a ball and put into a greased deep bowl, turn dough to bring greased surface to the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 1/2 hours.

Punch down dough, pull edges to center and turn dough completely over in bowl. Cover, let rise again until nearly doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down and turn onto lightly floured surface. Divide into halves and shape into smooth balls. Shape each ball into an oval 13 inches long and about an inch thick. With rolling pin, flatten and press on lengthwise half of oval about 1/2 inch thick. Turn unflattened half of dough over flattened half, lightly press edges together. Press the fold down firmly with palm of hand - this helps to prevent dough springing open during rising.

Place each stollen on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Bake at 325 degrees about 30 minutes - until golden brown.

Meanwhile, make a thin icing blending confectioners sugar with milk or cream.

Remove stollen from oven and immediately spread frosting over tops and sprinkle with reserved almonds.

Crozet, VA

Yum, yum. But, boy is that a lot of work and time. Now I remember why I haven't ever tried making this. ha-ha. I thank you for the recipe and I am going to try making it after the holidays are history. While reading through this, my mouth was really watering though. Again, yum.yum.

I will try to think of one of my favorite recipes to share later on. Thank you also for starting this thread hart. Have a good day.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Do you have a bread machine? You can make it in there and either bake it into regular sized loaves by leaving it in the machine or take it out before baking, shape the loaves, let them rise a final time and bake in the oven.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Poteca

1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1teaspoon salt
2 envelopes active dry yeast
1 teaspoons sugar
6 cups sifted A-P flour
4 egg yolks (Save whites for filling)
1/2 cup (1stick) very soft butter
Walnut filling (recipe follows)
Honey (for glaze) Half cherries for decoration (if desired) Personally I don't do the honey or cherries.

Combine sour cream, milk, and the 3/4 cup sugar & salt in a sauce pan. Heat slowly, stiring constantly, just until mixture begins to bubble and sugar dissolves; pour into a large bowl to cool.

Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in very warm water. Stir and allow mixture to stand until bubbly ( about 10 minutes).

Stir yeast mixture into cooled sour cream mixture; beat in 3 cups flour until very smooth. Cover bowl with a clean cloth. Let rise in warm place 45 minutes; beat mixture down.

Beat egg yolks and butter till smooth. Add this mixture and enough of the remaining flour into yeast mixture to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured area and knead for 10 minutes. or until smooth & elastic. Place dough in a large greased bowl: turn greased side up. cover and let rise in a warm place, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.

Punch down; knead a few time and let rest 5 minutes.

Divide dough in half, roll out to a 26 x 10 rectangle. Spread with half the filling. Roll up Jelly roll fashion, starting with the long side.

Can be baked on a cookie sheet, crescent shape, stright (I prefer stright- easy to wrap) on in a 10 inch bundt pan. Cover and let rise, 45 minutes or until doubled. Bake in 350º oven for 40 minutes or golden brown. Brush with honey and garnish with cherry halfs- again I leave the honey & cherries off. I cool, wrap in foil and then plastic wrap and freeze. I take out the night before serving, remove plastic wrap and place in oven to warm the next morning. (great to have while unwrapping presants Christmas morning.)

Walnut Filling

(enough for 2 rolls)
1 pound shelled walnuts
4 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon greated lemon rind
dash of salt

Chop walnuts VERY fine ( I put mine through my kitchen aid meat grinder) Just before spreading dough beat egg whites until foamy- white in a large bowl; beat in sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, mix together chopped nuts, lemon rind and salt, and fold into egg white mixture.

Enjoy,
Chris

Glazed Italian Sausage Balls

1 pound bulk Italian sausage ( I use 1/2 hot- 1/2 sweet)
2 cups FINELY crushed saltine chackes ( I run mine throught the food processer)
2 1/2 cups tomato juice ( 1/2 cup is used in the meat balls the 2 cups in the sauce)
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegatable oil ( for frying )
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard

In large bowl combine sausage, crackes, 1/2 cup tomato juice and egg mix well. rool into 1 ince balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in hot oil, remove as browned. pour off fat: add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Return meatballs to skillet; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stiring occasionally, Serve hot in chafing dish.
I cover then uncover to let the sauce reduce and thicken a bit, I serve in a crock pot to keep warm. I also double the recipe. Can be frozen.

Chris

This isn't holiday, but if you want the house smelling good Christmas morning and an easy to do coffee cake here is a good one.

Over Night Coffee cake

3/4 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Cream butter and add sugar gradually.
Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time and beat.
Add sour cream and mix well.
Combine flour and next 4 ingredients.
Add to creamed mixture and mix well.
Pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan.
Combine brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon.
Sprinkle evenly over batter.
Cover and chill 8 hours.
Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or til wooden pick comes out clean.

Chris

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

MMM, Chris, now the last one sounds like a good thing for me to do waiting for the kids to wind down and go to sleep Xmas eve, before I do the inevitable last minute wrap and putting gifts out.
Hmm, my teenager stays up as late as (in)humanly possible these days. I don't know what I'll do with him this year...may have to set my alarm for 5 AM; that's the only time I can guarantee that all kids will be asleep.

This is a recipe for a gift in a jar (or bag) that you can put together. The first part is the instructions that you attach to it, and the second part tells you how to assemble one. I get supplies to make several jars at once and kids can have fun layering the beans if in a jar.

Easy Good Luck Bean Soup

One jar of beans Six cups of water
One TB veg oil 15 oz can tomatoes
One packet of seasoning (enclosed in jar)

Wash beans and put into a large saucepan with the water, oil and seasoning. Cover, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 2-3 hours or til beans are tender. Add tomatos and heat through. This soup has black-eyed peas in it for good luck on New Year’s Eve!
To make even more soup, you can add meat and diced veggies of your choice (no onions- already in there). Happy Holidays!

To make this again

Seasoning for one batch
3 TB instant minced onion
2 tsp beef bouillon granules
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
scant half-teaspoon garlic powder
scant half-teaspoon chili powder
scant half-teaspoon basil leaves
1 tsp parsley

For gifts, get pint jars, and fill with mixed beans, up to the shoulder of the jar. I put the above into a fold-top baggie, twist closed, cut off some excess, and put it in the top of the jar. Assembly line style you can go quickly.

This seasons about 1 1/2 or two cups of beans. A pound bag of beans is just over two cups.

Bean mix- buy two or more kinds of dried beans or peas of your choice. I usually use at least half of a white bean, some split peas and pink or pinto beans for color and black-eyed peas for luck. Black beans or dark kidney beans look good in the jar but if you use alot the soup may get dark.

To make a gift- remember to include the instructions!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here's a good one. A Woflgang Puck recipe, I make this fairly often and everyone loves it.

(You can substitute regular salt for the kosher and regular diced onions for the scallions. I've also used sugar in place of the honey and no one seemed to notice. If you're in a hurry, you really don't have to make the dressing separately. You can just mix everything well in a large bowl.)

Apple Poppy Seed Cole Slaw

Poppy Seed Honey Dressing:
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium cabbage, cored, finely shredded
2 large carrots, peeled, julienne
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup finely minced parsley leaves, optional
4 Fuji apples, peeled, cored, julienne

Prepare the Poppy Seed Dressing. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients together until well blended. Set aside.
Prepare the salad. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, scallions, parsley, and apples. Pour in the reserved dressing and toss until well blended. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving, mixing the salad at least once to evenly distribute the dressing.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! Yummmm!!! All of these look so good! I think I need to go eat breakfast! This is like going to the grocery store when you're hungry! :-D And I will definitely be bringing out the bread maker.
I have a recipe (haven't made it) that I'm gonna try today. All the family will be guinnea pigs! :-D

No-Cook Divinity.

1 pkg. (7.2 oz) fluffy white frosting mix
1/3 c. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. boiling water
4 - 4 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. chopped nuts

Variations:
Canndied Cherry Delights: Substitute 1 tsp. peppermint extract for the vanilla & 1 c. chopped candied cherries for the nuts.
Peppy Mints: Substitute 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract for the vanilla & (if desired) 1 c. crushed peppermint candy for the nuts. Tint with a few drops of red or green food coloring if desired.

Beat frosting mix, corn syrup, vanilla & boiling water in small mixing bowl on high speed until stiff peaks form. about 5 minutes.Tranfer to large mixing bowl; beat in powdered sugar gradually on low speed. ( It may be necessary to stir in the last cup of sugar by hand). Stir in nuts.
Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. When outside candy feels firm, turn over if necessary to dry bottoms of candies; let dry at least 12 hours. Store candy in air-tight container

About 5 1/2 dozen candies; 60 calories ea.

I have a question! ~ If your gonna eat candy, Why would any one Care how many calories you're eating? :-D

Thanx for the Recipes!!
Joey

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Christmas candy has calories??!!

Crozet, VA

Thanks Joey, I might give this one a try sometime soon. I first need to eat up some of the $101.00 of sweets and nuts that I bought last week on a trip to a store that is run by a nearby Mennonite community. Okay, okay a lot of this will be going as gifts to family and friends.

There was one thing that caught my eye and now I need to do some research and find a recipe for - No Bake Cookies. The ingredients are sugar, milk, cocoa, vanilla, oatmeal, butter and peanut butter. When I was in grade school the cafeteria served them on occasion. They melt in your mouth. These were selling for $2.00 for six cookies. I figure that I can make them a whole lot cheaper than that.

When I find a recipe I will post it here.

Ruby

Ok guys! this is making me drool.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=129299

Haven't made this but I added it to my recipe file.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

If you all like candy, I'll have to dig up my recipes for toffee (heavenly), Christmas mice and chocolate dipped orange slices.

Ruby, Here is a recipe for the Chocolate No-Bakes

2 cups sugar
1/2 c milk
1/4 cup cocoa
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups quick oats
2 Tbsp. peanut butter

Combine butter , sugar, milk, & cocoa. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add vanilla, oats, and peanut butter. Beat with a spoon; drop on wax paper by spoonsfulls. Let cool. Makes 2 dozen.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ooooo, Now I'm Droolin'! Those "No-Bakes" are what I call "Preacher Cookies"! Love 'em!
Hart! ~ Please? & Thank you. :-D

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Oh, good, someone posted this recipe online so I don't have to type all this in and I can include the picture. They are much cuter than the picture.

These are sooo cute and everyone loves them, both for the cuteness and the taste. Great little project for kids too.

You can place them on any already prepared cookie that's flat. I get round sugar cookies (you can use the refrigerated shaped cookies) and just cut them into quarters to make "cheese slices" to place the mice on.

I've made them with both white and regular chocolate. They're much cuter in the white, the details show up better.

The photo isn't the same as in my cookbook. You leave the stem on the maraschino cherries to make the tail. And I use an unmelted chocolate chip to make the face, much cuter because it really look like a mouse, with a dot of red frosting for the nose.

Walmart brand white chocolate chips are less than a dollar a bag - about half the price of Nestles.

One tip - work to get the chip nose and ears on quickly before the chocolate sets too much to work with.

CHRISTMAS MICE

Prep time: 30 minutes Makes 15

These whimsical critters can be placed atop cookies or served individually. They look especially cute when placed on wedges of shortbread. The recipe is from "Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook" (Wiley Publishing, $25.95, 352 pages).

Ingredients

15 maraschino cherries with stems

1 cup white vanilla baking chips or chocolate chips

1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil

30 sliced almonds

1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Red food coloring

Instructions

Drain cherries and rinse them gently with water. Dry them thoroughly with paper towels. Reserve 15 vanilla chips to use as faces. (It's a good idea to reserve a few extras in case of mistakes.) Melt the remaining chips in the top of a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Hold one cherry by the stem and dip it into the melted chips, covering the cherry completely. Immediately place the cherry on a piece of waxed paper or a cookie, with the stem standing up. (The stem will be the mouse's tail.) Repeat with the remaining cherries.

Just as the white chocolate begins to set, press two sliced almonds against the front of each cherry to form mouse ears.

Using the remaining melted chips as glue, use a toothpick to spread melted chocolate on the flat base of each reserved chip and attach the chips to the base of the almonds to form the mouse heads. Chill the mice until the chocolate is firm.

Add one drop of red food color to the powdered sugar and blend it well. Add more powdered sugar or drops of water if necessary to form a frosting consistency. Use a toothpick to add a dab of red frosting to the tip of each mouse nose. Chill until set.

Per mouse: 88 cal.; 1 g pro.; 11 g carb.; 5 g fat (2 sat., 2 monounsat., 1 polyunsat.); 2 mg chol.; 10 mg sod.; 0 g fiber; 10 g sugar; 49 percent calories from fat.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2006 10:26 PM

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Shucks, this isn't at all the recipe in my book. Close enough but use white chocolate chips. I have no idea what white vanilla chips are.

Crozet, VA

You gals are something else. Some of, well most of these recipes call for more kitchen talent than I have. Everything sounds really delicious though. Thank you Chris for the recipe for no bakes, or preacher cookies, if I were in WVA. haha. I bought loaves of pumpkin bread and banana bread at grocery store yesterday. Baking in my kitchen will definitely have to wait until after the holidays.

I am making very slow progress. I worked in yard yesterday and that felt good. Hubby built me a compost bin last week and I spent some time putting fallen leaves in to it. I also pruned a very scraggly Rose of Sharon tree. Isn't this weather crazy? I had begun composting in a large trash can about six or so months ago. When we dumped it in to the new place, it was nice and black. Hubby took cinder block and made an enclosure of about 5' x 5'. Later on he said that he would build another one so that we can have two going at the same time.

I decided to compost when I froze a bunch of peaches last summer. There were so many peels and I hated to just put them down the disposal. That is how I began composting. I have a small bucket under kitchen sink and add to it daily. Oh yeah, we just became owners of a large deep freezer. We had a small one that has been full for a month or so. While emptying small one in to larger one yesterday, I got out a couple of containers of the frozen peaches. I let them thaw and had a wonderful bowl of fruit last night. They were yummy.

I hope that everyone will have a great upcoming week. The holidays are upon us.

Ruby

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Oooo Thanx! Hart! My kiddies will love those. (especially Miss Emily) They love cherries & Chocolate! And quite attractive, too. :D

A girl in one of the offices at school had made some raspberry fudge ~ it was Heavenly!! I asked her for the recipe, but she was really busy. I hope to get it from her and when I do... I'll share. That was the Best tasting fudge I have ever eaten!

Ruby, please don't try to over-do things....I'm assuming that you are feeling better! I've always wanted to do a compost bin, but have never gotten around to it....one of these days! :D

Yes, the Holy-day is upon us! :D

Joey

Wanted to show you what I have been up to,

This is a Libby's Pumpkin Cranberry Bread Recipe that I give as gifts, I print From Chris' Kitchen Christmas Lables from my computer.

I try to make a few different kinds of breads, but this year I have slowed way down. I might give the girls at work some "after the Hoilday breads" January and Feb. can be some downs months after the busy Holiday season.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yummmmmmmmmm! :D

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Joey, I made some easy fudge with the jarred marshmallow fluff and melted white chocolate chips last year. You can make it any flavor you want using flavorings. I made cherry with cherry flavoring and candied cherries.

http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/never_fail_fudge.html lots of fluff recipes here.

Just substitute white chocolate chips and your flavorings and candied cherries for the nuts here

2 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 5.33 oz. can evaporated milk (3/4 c.)
1 7 1/2-oz. jar Marshmallow Fluff
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1 12-oz. package semisweet-chocolate pieces
1 /2 c. chopped walnuts

Grease a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside. In large saucepan combine first 5 ingredients. Stir over low heat until blended. Heat to a full-rolling boil being careful not to mistake escaping air bubbles for boiling. Boil slowly, stirring constantly, 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and chocolate until chocolate is melted. Add nuts. Turn into greased pan and cool. Makes 2 1/2 pounds.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Oooo, THanx! Hart! I will definitely give this a try! YippEEE!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

TOFFEE

Butter a large flat pan like a biscuit pan. Be sure to grease bottom and sides well.

Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup ground almonds more or less
Optional - one bag milk chocolate chips and additional ground almonds

Directions:

Put the sugar, syrup, cream and salt into a saucepan and stir the mixture until it is all dissolved. Cook the candy until it reaches the soft ball stage (238 degrees). Remove from the burner and add the vanilla and nuts. Pour on a greased sheet and let cool until well hardened. Break into pieces.

If you want, you can melt the milk chocolate chips and dip the broken pieces in the chocolate then sprinkle with reserved ground almonds. Let cool on waxed paper.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The Best Dressing

(You have to be sure to put this in a pan large enough to allow the center to cook without making the outer edges too dry.)

2 cans Campbells cream of soups - always one cream of chicken and either cream of celery or cream of mushroom

2 eggs

1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken or turkey broth

one large onion, chopped
two celery stalks, chopped
one sweet pepper, chopped

ground white pepper, ground sage and dried parsley

roughly 2/3 to 3/4 bag of Pepperidge Farm dressing. It makes much better dressing if you use the cubed dressing. The other kind just turns to mush.

Mix the dressing with 1 cup broth in a large bowl. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and then mix well with the canned soups. Stir into the dressing mix along with the chopped vegetables and seasonings. (I don't really measure the spices, just put in generous amounts of sage and parsley and enough white pepper to give it a little kick.) Mix well. Add in a little more broth if needed.

Put in a well buttered baking dish - I use my large Corningware dish - the one that's large enough to bake a large chicken in. You can also divide into two smaller dishes, just make sure you keep an eye on it and not let it over bake. A lasagna pan would work too. It seems to work best if the dressing is maybe 4 inches thick in the dish.

Bake in 325 oven until center just gets firm. In the larger pan, this is about 35-45 minutes.

If you want the vegetables to not be a little crunchy, you can microwave them for a few minutes until cooked a little before mixing them in.

DON'T use things like Pam to grease the dish. Either use butter or margarine or straight oil. It will stick like crazy if you use Pam.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

CHOCOLATE DIPPED ORANGE SLICES

Everybody just loves these and there's not much that's easier to make. Another good one for kids.

1 8 oz bag of semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
1 tbsp of shortening
1 large bag orance slices candy (the jellied candy that's like gumdrops)

melt the chocolate chips (I assume everyone knows you can melt chocolate chips in the microwave, just watch it and don't overcook it or you'll ruin the chocolate.)

stir the shortening into the melted chocolate well

dip the orange slices in the chocolate to cover maybe halr to 2/3 with chocolate, place on waxed paper to cool

You can also use the chocolate to dip fresh strawberries and banana chunks. If the chocolate starts to harden in the bowl, just put it back in the microwave for a very few seconds.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Oh, Hart, Thanx so much for sharing your recipes! I'm still drooling! My kids will really like the last one, as they like both items ~ just never thought of putting them together! :D (that may be why I'm not so creative!;) Well, I need to get to cooking! :D

Have a Great Evening!

Joey

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, this is the easiest Christmas treat I make.

Get a package or two of those already cooked frozen little bite sized tart shells and a jar of lemon curd. The lemon curd will probably be in with the jellies and jams.

Thaw the shells, spoon a teaspoon of lemon curd in each shell (one small jar will fill a lot of shells.)

That's it. These are absolutely delicious. They don't keep very well so you'll have to eat them all up. I know, such a trial.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

No Problem! Lemon is a Fav here, so they will be gone in No Time! Thanx....for all the goodies! :D Maybe I'll be able to put some pounds on that DS of mine.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

A friend just sent me this recipe for fudge made out of frosting. Looks very easy.

The World's Easiest Fudge
> It's made of "store-bought" frosting and melted chocolate chips-with
>no cooking. Make it with frosting from the store and chocolate chips or
>wafers. You can chose from different frosting flavors and white chips,
>butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, and more-there are many possible
>combinations.
> Ingredients
> 1 12-ounce package of baking chips-chocolate, mint, butterscotch,
>white, or peanut butter
> 1 16-ounce tub of prepared frosting
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon extract of your choice
> 3/4 cup nuts of your choice
>
> Directions
> 1. Lightly butter an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or a 9-inch diameter pan.
>Set aside.
> 2. Melt the baking chips in the microwave in a medium bowl.
> 3. Stir in the frosting, salt, extract, and nuts until well
>combined.
> 4. Scrape into the prepared pan and refrigerate for at least 1/2
>hour or until firm.
> Cut it into squares to serve.
>
> Baker's notes: Your baking chips need to be of the finest quality.
>You may substitute wafers. Try these suggested combinations: Chocolate
>Walnut Mint, Butterscotch Vanilla Pecan, and Chocolate Macadamia Cream
>Cheese.
> In our testing we used both Betty Crocker and Pillsbury brands of
>frosting. We preferred Betty Crocker frosting since it made a firmer fudge

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, Now ya can't get any easier than that! Thanx again! :D My little recipe list is incresing marvelously! I still have some things to bake...& am having trouble deciding, but you're making it easier all the time!

Joey

My experiment-
I tried to make mint brownies by crushing six of last year's candy canes and adding them (yielded a half cup)to an 8 by 8 pan of brownies. They were weird right out of the oven, but after sitting, got softer and not too bad.(am managing to force them down :)) but only slightly minty. I think I threw off the ratio of sugar on the recipe. I think my next experiment would be to use more canes for more mintiness, and substitute them for some of the sugar in the recipe.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sally, why don't you get some mint extract and add that to the batter?

Crozet, VA

I am invited to two places for meals and will be taking a dish to each place. I was trying to think yesterday about what I could fix that won't require a lot of time at stove. I came up with desert salads.

I always laugh when people ask me for recipes. I don't usually use recipes unless it is cakes or candies. One of my favorite holiday salads is Ambrosia.

AMBROSIA

One bag of mini marshmallows
One 8 oz. container of sour cream
One cup each of crushed pineapple (drained), mandarin oranges, maraschino cherries (halved), and shredded coconut. Seedless green grapes may be halfed and added also.

Mix all ingredients together in bowl for a very pretty salad.

This is another desert salad that I will be preparing to take to the dinners. Caution, I will be giving instructions for a large bowl of salad. To make less, just use one large box of jello gelatin and half of other ingredients.

Fruity/Nut Jello Salad

Two large boxes of jello gelatin (any flavor)
One large can of tropical fruit, drained
One 16 oz. can of crushed pineapple, drained
One cup of shredded coconut
One cup of chopped walnuts

Prepare the jello and let set for at least one hour. Do not let it completly gel before adding other ingredients. Just add other ingredients and mix together well. I find that people really like this dish.

Think of me as you prepare this and enjoy.

Ruby

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I have a recipe you all may enjoy I love it! I've not made it (& haven't figured out why ~ maybe because I'm affraid I'll have to eat the whole thing!), but it's great!

Strawberries in a Cloud

1 angel food cake
4 boxes instant vanilla pudding
8 oz. sour cream
5 c. milk
1 pkg. strawberry glaze (can use 2 pkgs.)
Sliced strawberries

Pinch angel food cake into pieces & place in an oblong dish. Mix pudding, sour cream and milk. Pour over cake. Mix strawberries with glaze. Pour over pudding. Chill & serve.

Joey

Shenandoah Valley, VA

My Mom always makes ambrosia - she calls it pretty salad LOL and she always puts a little juice from the cherries in to make it pink.

Joey that strawberries in a cloud looks wonderful. I'll have to try that.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

I haven't had Ambrosia or Jell-o salad in ages. Now I know what to fix to go with that ham. Thanks Ruby. Thanks to all for the great recipes. Here is one of my specialties.

Chocolate Chip Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups bran cereal (like "All Bran")
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg slightly beaten
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup cooking oil
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup chocolate mini chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In large bowl mix cereal and milk; let stand 5 min. Stir in egg, honey and oil. Combine flour and baking powder; Stir dry ingredients and mini chips into wet mixture just until blended. Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full; bake 12 to 15 min.

These muffins freeze well and travel good, too.

The original recipe called for raisins not choc. chips but who can say no to chocolate? Blueberries work well in place of mini chips- use 1 cup of blueberries or raisins instead. (Also, recipe says can be baked in greased 9 inch sq. pan for 30 min. instead of muffin pans tho have not tried this.)

Kat

Bran muffins sound like a good antidote to all the junk I'm living on lately!
Ambrosia- a great one for buffet/potluck- it's easy to overdo the cheesy, buttery dishes.
hart- now that you mention it, I think I do have some mint extract. I have made 'easy butter mints' , pwdered sugar, butter, mint, roll out and cut with little cutters, let dry and decorate with chocolate drizzle. The candy cane idea was from a newspaper recipe to make brownie mix layered in a jar, and I thought the canes could maybe be a layer~~something unusual. and use up lastyear's leftover candy~~ now, chocolate , never have a leftover problem there~~

Easy Mints
1/4 c butter
2 TB water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
3 1/2 tp 3 3/4 c conectioner's sugar
Combine butter and water on low heat til butter melts. Remove from heat and add salt and extract. Add sugar gradually, stirring then kneading in. Divide and color if desired. May be molded, rolled into rolls and sliced, or rolled out between waxed paper and cut . Allow to dry before storing. Can add a few drops of water if it gets crumbly while working with it. Can decorate with drizzles of melted chocolate or whatever you like. Oooh, how about dipping them in chocolate?

By the way, last year I melted milk chocolate chips, ( I think added a little butter or shortening) and dipped pretzels and wavy potato chips in it. YUM I love the salt-sweet thing!

This message was edited Dec 21, 2006 8:25 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I actually made Yorkshire pudding last night to go with our rib roast. I always thought it was one of those weird British dishes involving animal entrails or somesuch. It's just a giant popover made using a little of the fat from the cooked roast. It was good.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup pan drippings from roast prime rib of beef

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Sift together the flour and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and milk until light and foamy. Stir in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Pour the drippings into a 9-inch pie pan, cast iron skillet, or square baking dish. Put the pan in oven and get the drippings smoking hot. Carefully take the pan out of the oven and pour in the batter. Put the pan back in oven and cook until puffed and dry, 15 to 20 minutes.

The recipe I used called for a pinch of nutmeg too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.