Calathea Zebrina leaves turning brown

Roatan, Honduras

My Zebra plants are turning brown, I am keeping them moist and spray them daily, and i live in a humid climate. any suggestions?

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I really don't know, but maybe they are too moist?? Also, I think they need warm roots so you might check for drafts.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would also guess too much water--humid climate plus frequent watering plus daily spraying probably is too much moisture for them (the water you're putting in the soil is probably a bigger problem than the natural humidity or the misting). Try sticking your finger an inch or two into the soil, if it feels really wet that's probably what's going on and you should hold off longer between waterings.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I would think that too much water would turn the leaves yellow rather than a crispy brown.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Mines leaves have been turning brown and falling too : ( I haven't done anything different to it than I have all summer.The only thing I can think is if they are like stownes says and like warm roots thats probably why.Mine is on a lower shelf of my stand pretty close to a window wher it is probably drafty so I am sure its roots are saying BRRRR.It is still putting out new growth on top but the bottom leaves are the ones turning crispy brown and falling.I am going to try moving it to a higher shelf on a lighted stand and see if that helps.If that still don't do it I might just need to pick up a heat mat to help keep its feet warm this winter.
Nancy

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I agree completely with stownes....I've tried to tell people that before but they think that the plant's simply being in a warm room is enough...it's often not!

I learned, sort of by accident, that warm roots meant warmer than my room temperature when I had 2 Calatheas setting on top of our old console TV....that entire year those Calatheas fared better than any I'd ever owned.

Alas...the old console TV with it's warm top is gone and replace with one with a 'sloped' top....aargh!

I also agree, however, that you're likely keeping them too moist, and it's likely that those leaves are yellow at first (as cjolene mentioned) and then turn 'crisp'?

Roatan, Honduras

thanks for the info, but I think my plants are warm enough because I live on a Caribbean Island, so don't have to worry about being too cold, and our humidity is between 60 and 90%. So I don't know what to do.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I was wondering what HN stood for. ; ) How are you fertilizing? And how much light are they getting?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Could you clarify what the problem is? Are the leaves crispy brown or are they sort of wilty and floppy? And do they turn yellow first and then brown, or does the brown start at the edges and then eventually take over the whole leaf? If the leaves are turning yellow first and the leaves are sort of wilty then it's likely overwatering, but if they're more of a crispy brown and it starts at the edges of the leaves first then it could be fertilizer burn, too much light, not enough humidity (although I'm guessing that one's not the problem).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.