Do you show your Flower / Plant ?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have been thinking about possibly entering a plant in a plant / flower show. We have a couple here just small local shows. I do not belong to any local gardening clubs and really don’t know how to tell if your plants are nice enough to show. Do any of you show your plants?

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

When I lived in Tennessee I used to enter some of my plants in the local fair. I was worried that they wouldn't measure up and ended up winning blue ribbons! It was great fun. Go for it!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

In Minnesota, at the State Fair, the Minnesota Horticultural Society sponsors a plant show with many categories. I have entered various plants for many years, and not only are they very generous with ribbons, but they give cash prizes as well. I usually get $50-60 in prize money. You don't have to be a club member to enter, nor is there an entry fee. It is fun to have friends call me to say that they saw my plants on display. HollyAnn, you might try to find what shows are near you, and then visit them the first year to scope out the competition. Also, study the rules carefully before you enter, because they often follow the rules exactly in judging. If you get into this for multiple years, I suggest keeping records of what you entered, and how it did, along with observations of what kind of plants other entrants have had success with. Good luck!

Susan in Minneapolis

(Zone 1)

We have a Home/Garden Show here every Spring and they always have "Everybody's Flower Show" where folks enter their houseplants, garden plants .... all different kinds, Orchid's, Philodendrons, African Violets, Hanging Baskets, Dish Gardens. It is open to 'Everybody' .... expert and novice alike. They even have a section for kids to enter their plants. I've gone to the show every year, have never entered any of my plants, but am seriously thinking of one or two for this coming Spring!

HollyAnn: I say "Go For It" too!

Lin

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think I’ll call down to the State Extension Office and talk to one of the Master Gardeners. One of my friends who had never showed anything before decided to enter one of her roses in their County Fair. She just went out in the garden and picked the prettiest Rose and got a 3rd place. There were a lot of entries too. I recently bought a Price of Orange Philodendron and just love it. For some reason I started thinking about putting it in a show, never really thought about it before other than when I go to the local show I wonder how they judge them. It is a recent purchase so I might wait till next year and see how it does. Thanks for all the encouragement. Holly

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'd go for it too!

I've always loved to look at the fair exhibits, and some of the plants were incredible, but some (with Ribbons, at that!) weren't so great....I know that I've a few that would do well...but I've never done it. I guess I'm afraid of what might happen while in transport and while it's sitting there on display!

The fair rules state that the plant can't be a recent purchase....and when you think about it, that *is* kind of 'cheating'.

They do disqualify, too, if the plants aren't properly named/tagged with the proper nomenclature. They show the plant, but it's not allowed any ribbons with the wrong name.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.