carpentry help on lean to greenhouse

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I'll get a couple more tax returns done tomorrow and then I'll have some money to shop. :-)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I love your planter box for the geraniums!
Good idea. I think I will do that. So you can protect the wood still with the plastic pot.

Wow, I can't believe on how nice your greenhouse looks!!!
Did you stain any of the cedar? Am wondering. Maybe it doesn't matter being in TX, unlike here in the NW with tons of rain.

Have fun shopping for plants!
Carol

Beaumont, TX

Hi Carol. Thank you, I'm proud of it.
No stain but I am going to seal it. Just needs to be dry long enough. I also have a cedar and redwood original color restorer I discovered while Janet and I were cleaning the shop last weekend. I think that came from the Habitat store. That'll come in handy if it does start changing to gray before I get the sealer on it. I'd read I should wait 6 months for the wood to cure before putting anything on it. Then another manufacturer said it didn't matter you could do it right away. I think it's dry enough now but I also need to be sure of the weather before I do it. Need a good forecast with no rain for a couple days. This week would have been perfect! But I also need TIME!! The cedar fence on the driveway side has grayed but it's a nice silvery gray. It was put up a year ago.

Beaumont, TX

Trimmed the window box!

Thumbnail by maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

I moved that lizard and his wiring today too. He's wired into my malibu lights so he lights up at night. I could hardly wait for it to get dark enough so that I could see him at night. He's been up on the pool deck mounted on the palm tree, but I like him better here with all the other lizards.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks great Connie. I see you moved the lizard from the palm tree. Have you got him lit yet?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

We were typing at the same time. Can't wait to see him lit up. Get your butt out there and get us a photo! HAHAHAHA

Beaumont, TX

I posted when you did. Yep!

Beaumont, TX

I can't get a good one of him lit up! You'll have to get one with your camera

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I looked for a photo from when he was on the palm tree. This is the only one I have. We can do better than this!

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX

I know you can with your camera.

Oh I have some green malibu bulbs now too! That might look good in him.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I bet that will look good. I can't remember ever seeing any green ones before.

Did you ?? for tomorrow ever confirm their appts? I told Rickly that I want to plant some berry vines on the back fence and put up some type of netting to keep birds and squirrels out. Can't remember where we saw those berry vines though. You might have to show me, if you remember. HAHAHA

Beaumont, TX

It was back in the furniture at Lowes. Yes he confirmed and I have one window at noon but after that shopping we go!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Boy Oh Boy OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH Boy!!!!! I'm going to have to clear out that area back by the fence, but I think it will be worth it to have blackberry cobblers. Do you remember if they are the kind that will grow upwards, instead of on the ground? I want them to grow on that lattice back there.

Beaumont, TX

I don't know. Might need to do some research so we are sure of which kind before we goo looking.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

OK, I'll do that tomorrow. I'm heading to bed. Call me when you get done tomorrow.

Just so you'll know, the goldfish is still alive!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Oh my!!! The poor thing. I can't believe it has survived without being in his fishbowl.....lol.
;) Donna

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

HAHAHA Donna, I've killed several of these. I'm bound and determined to keep this one alive. So far, so good!

I had Connie put it in it's spot on the deck. So if it dies, it won't be all my fault! HAHAHA

Beaumont, TX

Allrighty! Janet just sent me a power point show with some really cool images called Double Vision. I took one of the pics from it and have decided THIS will be sandblasted on the top of the dutch door!
It's beautiful!!

Beaumont, TX

Simple but fabulous! Thank you Janet!!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Weren't those just the coolest!!!! I wish I could post it here. How did you manage to snag the illusions?

Beaumont, TX

Print screen. :)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Nevermind. I figured it out.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I went to Power Point and opened it there as a file. Was able to snag them that way.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Connie that will be beautiful. You can thank Ed Martin for them next time you see him since he's the one that sent me the email. :-)

Oriental, NC(Zone 8a)

Maidentheshade:

I really have enjoyed this thread about the construction of your greenhouse (carpentry help, indeed); you seem to have built a greenhouse that is both functional and beautiful, and your carpentry skill and imagination are awesome. I am planning the construction of my own treated wood-polycarbonate greenhouse and would like to add some features that make it attractive without adding too much to the cost. I like the way you used the stained glass door and would like to duplicate the idea myself (the sincerest form of flattery). However, I have been looking for stained glass doors, windows, panels, etc., and the cost is always excessive (many hundreds of dollars). Do you mind telling how much you paid for the door you used? I don't want to give up yet if there's any hope of finding something similar for under $500. Any hope?

Thanks,

Hank

Beaumont, TX

a hundred... end of the day at the estate sale they were ready to get rid of it because they had a sign for 275 on it. I see them at local flea markets and auctions as windows, sometimes even in a pair for about fifty a piece. I think they may come from England. Those would have worked too... but the door just "happened" at the right time and the light bulb went on in my head...otherwise I may not have even considered doing it. And the cedar was a mistake at the lumber yard. They wouldn't let me pick 8' treated fence boards because they were in the back which made me mad...but I'd paid already when the kid brought it around on the cart to load in the truck...it was cedar. I knew...Lord forgive me...but never said a word.

Thank you so much for your comments and looking at this whole thing, Hank. I am so tickled that you would want to duplicate it. :) It is a lovely compliment.

I have nearly 800 in the whole thing including the windows. Electrical and plumbing I did myself so that really lowered the expense... but also added to it. It seemed not nearly as bad doing it a little at a time so the 50 bucks here and 50 bucks there wasn't such a killer as buying a pre fab which I would have been thrilled to have. But I also had three walls (one and two fences) there already to start with.

I grin each time I walk out the back door and I sneak out there at all hours just to look and think of what I might could do next. It's a really neat feeling when you build it yourself. Good luck with yours.

Connie

edited to correct typo

This message was edited Mar 11, 2007 12:56 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Happy Birthday Connie!

Fulton, MO

Connie, I haven't been back to this thread in some time...my loss...you've done some great work.

Congratulations.

SB

Beaumont, TX

Thank you Janet !! Fiftyonederful.

Stressbaby I'm so glad you peeked in! Thank you. :) It's been fun.
I'm spending so much time in there just messing around. Janet gave me the coolest grasshopper for my birthday and I've been out there working on wiring him with a malibu light to go with the lit lizard that's by the window box. He's ready to go but I'll wait till daylight to hang him on the front and take some pics.

Beaumont, TX

Here he is in his new home Janet. :) About to be eaten!!

Beaumont, TX

Close up.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I Love it! Be sure to get some photos at night. You can borrow my camera if you need to.

And love that new tricycle too!

Beaumont, TX

Moving on out in front of the greenhouse. Robbed some bricks off the end of the sidewalk that was already there. I'll deal with that later. I have a huge curved tree coming down so I can't go too far forward yet. Only the round area in front of the greenhouse gets sun. Anything in the yard further towards the front of the house gets dappled sun and very little because of a two story next door so when I get there after the tree comes down I'll have to do something different. I'm anxious to start on that section but if I planted there now I'm afraid the tree cutters will step all over everything. So I wait... :(

edited to make more sense.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2007 9:09 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks wonderful Connie!

Beaumont, TX

Thanks Janet, my back hurts and my hands are soooooo rough.

I'm going to wait on spreading the mulch in that circular bed because the sawdust from that tree will cover it over. At least I can get some good out of that tree...it's sawdust'll be under the mulch.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Connie, just love your pathway, greenhouse (from this view and picture), and see potential of different plants where the tree is.
What are you going to plant there then???
What a great place to just sit and relax!
Carol

Beaumont, TX

Thanks Carol. It 's very nice sitting there with my coffee. The sun comes up over that fence so it gets sun till noon when it goes over the house. The tree is nearly on the mark where the two story next door sits keeping much sun from getting to that part of the yard. Janet gave me some huge elephant ears and those are already in up against the fence. I got some Black Magic bulbs today for in front of those and some caladiums. I also have an austrailian tree fern getting too big for his britches which will be behind my chair, about the only place for it to stretch out as far as it may is there but it's a perfect spot. I have a great big split leaf Philodendron ready to be separated that might do well there too. It's been under the patio and went berserk so it must not need too much sun.

For the sunny area I have coleus all around the circle (they might get trampled so I'll move them again) Janet and I both got a Rum Runner Hibiscus today that is gorgeous. He'll go there too. And I got some alyssum seeds today for ground cover. I'd love to put some sort of fancy grass in that spot too. I love the fescue but it's so expensive! Especially if I get a dozen. I'll wait till the one I have grows and separate him.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Connie, where that tree is (was) will be a perfect spot for a pond! (wriggling eyebrows!) The photos looks great. That chair is fabulous. It really turned out beautiful. I sat in it today and it's very comfortable. I'd love to have a couple of those for my yard. I doubt I'll get as good a deal as you did.... unless I get you to help me make them! HAHAHA

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

What will you put on that table back there? A bird bath would look great! Or a peacock fern....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.