i luv this pic

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I stood on that big rock and took this-this was about 8yrs ago!
i just luv this picture

This message was edited Nov 17, 2006 1:02 PM

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

another older photo

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

these are all from the first yrs in the garden-much has changed over the yrs

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

another

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

a few more

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this is it-my garden keeper!

Thumbnail by notmartha
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Just beautiful Dori :-)

Connie

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Absolutely beautiful Dori!! I can't call you NOT Martha anymore. You are worthy! I really love the fountain with the boy and his umbrella. I love the keeper! The first and fourth and fifth picture really grabs you with all the color. How big is this bed and when did you first start it?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

thats "big" garden is about a 1/2 acre now. I started it 9yrs ago and each yr id tell my DH i need another row tilled on this side and then another here and here -these were with the 6ft tiller so each time i added 6ft more per side
The fountain you to be the edge at one time!! I added another tear to that fountain a few yrs ago-you can see in the more resent pics!
I found daves 5 yrs ago and had to add more rows-cuz i was trading plants like crazy!!!

thanks
D

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sigh, 1/2 an acre. My beds get bigger each year, but since it's me and a spade, they only get a foot or more each year. Dave's and everyone here has inspired me too!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That first photo is my favorite of all! Isn't it funny to look back at photos and see how things have changed over the years almost without us being aware of how much? What are the deep red flowers in the first photo? So pretty.

susan

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Sweet Williams

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

ahhhh a little piece of heaven on earth...

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Dori,
Your gardens always make me smile! You definitely have the touch!
Terrie

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Should we ask for a Dori forum? ;)

Incredible! That's the first year??? You have gardening magic, Dori.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

A Dori Forum would be cool! :))

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Dori as always..........keep those pictures coming...!!I too vote for a Dori Forum....

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

LOL LOL LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Isn't it funny how we find that timeless picture!

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Dori, This is my first visit to your thread. What a lovely garden. I can hardly wait to see some from this year. Do you have raised beds?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

No i dont have any raised beds-just flat farm land
Im in what they call the Saginaw Valley on lake Huron side

thankz
dori

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

dori, I think it's a beautiful picture, too!

Tell us what seeds you are starting for this year? Are you doing wintersowing? Or is your garden filled up with healthy perennials and you don't need to add anything more? Just wondering-- (-;

I've lost track of your garden since they started all these regional threads and I miss it! (I think you're mostly on the Michigan/Upper Midwest thread, right?) t.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori, See what happens when I'm flat on my back during the month of Nov ... I miss pictures of your garden. Beautiful!

My garden hasn't gotten bigger for 2 years now. I'm like billyporter ... me and the spade, so increase is very slow. I do hope to a small increase this year. Got to have a little more room for those daylily seedlings.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

IM adding lots of lilies and perennials and taking lots of stuff out
Redoing bunches this growing season-hopefully!!!

seeds i start are few-daylilies, tomatoes,peppers, clematis and tryin some lily seeds this yr

mostly i just go for the already grown plants-instant satisfaction! if you go to the co-op forum you'll see im adding lots more lol

one of last yrs projects- i dont even know if i ever took a pic of it finished-maybe this yr!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

What are you making there? A kind of raised bed?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

its a little fountain -i buried a huge tub and filled it with water laying a grate over the top and last yr it had stones and marble things on top- i will look for a pic or take one this summer!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Dori, just found this thread, it's beautiful! Post more pictures!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Dori - although your pics are two years old I still had to post how absolutely beautiful they are! Very inspiring to those of us that are newbies and trying to create something beautiful out of nothing (my yard stood empty for years prior to me buying the home nearly 4 years ago but I've been working on it one bed at a time!!) Please post more about how you are re-arranging your beds...

Deanna

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Amazing!! Beautiful :)

Susan

Victoria Harbour, ON

The gardens most certainly are beautiful..you can tell after such a long difficult weather with record breaking temps and snow fall that we are all here, going back in posts to see the beauty of what's to come...

Thank you!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh! When my garden grows up it wants to be just like yours!

Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi Dori - I just joined Dave's today, and yours is the first site I have seen - your pictures are absolutely beautiful!! I've only been gardening for about 5 years -- before that I only had patios and containers. Any tips for a beginning country gardener? Maybe some day I will have the nerve to show pictures of my garden, too. In the meantime, I'm learning about seeds, grubs, and all kinds of things I never even knew existed. Looking forward to more pictures - please keep them coming. Susan

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

welcome Dori! you will find more information then your mind can soak up here at DG - I joined in January and has it ever been worth it! so many nice people - be sure you join some of the newbie trades! here is a link to one going on right now...Robbi is a doll and sent me more seed then I could possibly start this year - it was like opening a christmas package with all the cool stuff she sent...if you have already found the below link - please excuse my doubling up - I just got back home from vacation so am trying to catch up now LOL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/818198/

Deanna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the welcome but ive been here since the start of daves!!
im like member #5

it is a great site~~~

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

whoops sorry Dori...I meant dragonfly! LOL thats what I get for reading all the posts so fast...I've been gone 5 days and was having some severe DG withdrawal!!!!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Welcome, dragonfly123! Nice to see another Wisconsinite on DG. :)

Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

Thanks to all who responded to my request - will definitely check other links, but would especially like to get info for a beginning cottage gardener. I think I have a lot of the right plants, but they just don't seem to be placed correctly, and I think (KNOW) I need more beds in order to get the right effect. Any advice on the best 10 (or???) plants to start with when creating a new cottage garden? Dave's was recommended to me by an EBay friend who retired from running her own nursery. She said I could learn more here than in any magazine or catalogue on the market, and considering how much I've learned from her, I have no reason to doubt her. Will appreciate any info, especially from other zone 5 gardeners (Hi Kayly from Watertown) who will know what will thrive here and what to avoid. I'm just beginning to plant seed (I know I'm a little late, but I think we're going to have a late spring, so it should come out okay), but have at least 3 dozen different plants already in the ground, and am thinking about moving some - what goes well with what? I'm great at following directions, but not so good at imagination, so I really do need some guidance. My mini-iris, early tulips, bearded iris and daffodils are just poking through, so I have some time before I can do anything, so if anyone is willing to give me some plant combos, etc. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help!!! Susan

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Susan, start your own thread here on the Cottage Garden forum asking for help, you will be FLOODED! Get measurements of what you already have, list the plants you have and get an idea of WHAT you want. There are so many generous gardeners willing to share their precious plants when they divide, you will have a wonderful jump start on a GREAT garden! Best of luck, I can't wait to see pics! ~ Pat

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Can I just say that I love that first picture - too! It is quite an inspiration to me because I would love to look out my back window and see all those beautiful plants filling out my whole yard! Slowly I will get there.... I think I can, I think I can lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.