Cattle Panel Hoophouse, Part 2

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Jenni, we're in zone 6a and when we get our hoop house up, I'm going to try using a bunch of black water filled barrels for a little extra heat, too, in addition to the bubble wrap. Our electric rates at home are pretty reasonable, but would skyrocket trying to heat a GH. I'm really a fair-weather person myself...if it ain't fair outside, I don't want to be out there! Just feel like the HH would also allow me extra pre and post season gardening time.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Jenni, we're in zone 6a and when we get our hoop house up, I'm going to try using a bunch of black water filled barrels for a little extra heat, too, in addition to the bubble wrap. Our electric rates at home are pretty reasonable, but would skyrocket trying to heat a GH. I'm really a fair-weather person myself...if it ain't fair outside, I don't want to be out there! (Although I do, I just don't like it.) Just feel like the HH would also allow me extra pre and post season gardening time.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi guys,

I'm on my second winter with my cattlepanel hoophouse. It did great last winter. I used the 6mm film from a GH supply house. Regular film doesn't have UV protection so it fails fast in the sun. Mine was rated for 4 years use but I can tell this will be it's last year. I had to do a lot of small repairs with duct tape and my door broke at the hinges so yesterday I installed a new door. I had to dismantle one end of the GH in order to install the new door. It was the same width but a better quality so the frame was thicker than the old door. I hope to lower my heat cost with this new door.
Someone asked how the film was attached. I originally stapled it to the end frame work. Once everything was in place I added wood strapping to secure all the ends. Nothing moves! This GH has gone through several really nasty storms without budging. This is because I used 4 x 4 post sunk 3' into the ground for the framework and I attached the cattlepanels to the kneewall using plumbers metal straps. I used screws for everything so I can take it apart easily if I need to.

MollyD

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Molly, thanks for the great update! I haven't got mine built yet, but it's on my list of many things to do. Do you have much wind where you are? That's my main concern. We're up on a hill with lots of open pasture around us and very little wind break. Robin

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Robin in winter we get sustained winds of 20 mph with wind gust of up to 60 mph. I'm at a higher elevation than the city of Canandaigua and in winter there isn't a lot to break the wind. It's so strong that over the winter it rips the mulch off the ground. By spring the ground is pretty bare. I'm hoping as the plants get bigger the mulch will last longer.
The trick is to anchor everything down solidly. Attach the post to the ground, everything else will build on this. Make sure that those panels are attached to either the frame at the bottom or if you build a kneewall like I did that it's attached at the top of the wall. Also I used cable ties to attach the panels to each other so they formed a solid unit instead of individual panels.
If I can help, ask!

MollyD

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Molly!!

So glad to hear your "voice" again. Sounds like you did a good job on your HH. Good for you. So, what is your next project? A GH or another HH? How did the plants fair? And how about heat?

Did you build anything this summer, or just adjust the one you made?

Good to hear from you.

Jeanette

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi Jeanette!

Good chatting with you too!
I did not build a new thing this year. Way too busy hauling water to all my plants. We had drought here the entire summer (still behind too) so I had to water all my beds sometimes by hand and sometimes by hose. We were at the verge of drying our well up when it finally began to rain on a regular basis.
99% of the seedlings I grew in the GH last winter survived to be big kids -LOL 10 of them actually bloomed (see below).
I'm seriously pondering the HFGH again. I've been pricing the components of what I would like to have and the roof alone would cost as much as the HFGH. Thinking of building a concrete pad to set it on (avoid rodents). Would love to find a way to have cold running water in there all winter! Pipes would have to be at least 3' down to avoid freezing solid here.
I did some duct tape repairs to the GH and this week I dismantled one end to install a new door. Took all afternoon but it's done and the GH is cozy. The old door broke off at the long metal hinge (it was a storm door). I'm saving the glass panel to make a window on the shed when I finally get it built!

MollyD

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Molly, thanks! Sounds like you have the same kind of winds we do. We're shooting to be home by spring. Maybe this time for good. Want a HH so bad, but didn't have time to build one when we were home this past summer and really don't want to put one up till we can stay there anyway.

But I have been following all the info about them here and have checked out a few links. I like your way of sinking the posts into the ground. We'd have to do that for sure. Otherwise our HH would be tumbling down the hill!You get your plastic from a greenhouse supplier?

Robin

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi Robin,

yes I got my film from a supplier. You need to compare prices for what you want to use. There are several good ones that I'm familiar with. Here are two links to start you off:
ACF Greenhouses http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/
Greenhouse Mega Store http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/

I've bought film from both of these.

MollyD

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Molly, I thought you were going to send me some pictures??

Jeanette

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Sorry Jeanette plumb forgot! Here's one.

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Here's another

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

A third

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

And last one. All four pictures are of daylily seedlings that bloomed after growing in the greenhouse last winter.

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I built a 5 panel HH last fall. It worked great! In fact, it worked so good that I am extending it by another 5 panels. It will 52' x 8' when it is finished.
It was really good but wound up being all plants & I want so room to do some propagation this yr & it was just too cramped last yr!
:~)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Molly!! Very nice. Pretty good for seedlings. Kind of makes all your work worth it huh?

Jeanette

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Absolutely Jeanette! Makes up for all those nights I missed sleep last winter. I've been running the kerosene heater so far this year but since we're suppose to drop into the 20's tonight I have the propane heater on for the first time this year. As usual it's a bit nerve wrecking to run that thing since I worry it will turn off. The kero never shut itself off but it also didn't turn itself down once it was hot in there. Already there are over 300 babies in there and more sprouting.

Smockette is your GH really 52 feet long or did you mis-speak??? Mine is only 17' long and it's 4 panels. I would expand mine (could use double the space) but I really want to move on to a more solid wall. I crave straight lines instead of a curved roof so it's easier to have things growing on multiple levels.

MollyD

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

If I remember correctly, my panels are 62 or 63" tall & 16' long. I think I had 5 panels last yr & have bought another 5 panels. I think that is correct that it should be about 52' long. I tie them together with those plastic 'ties' fr HD. None of it is overlaped.
I know I'm on meds for brusied ribs, but I think that is correct. Now you got me wondering! lol
I'll go ck tonite!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Yours must be taller than mine. My panels are 42" tall.

MollyD

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

My GF in Florida gets 'Hog' panels & her's are shorter than mine. I'm really scratching my head now.
I'm going home & measure them! lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Mine are 52 inches. Even if Smockette's were 10 inches less on each one, that is still a pretty long HH. Yes, the hog panels are 30 something I think. Also their wires are closer together on one side. And more expensive.

But being in Texas it won't require as much heat??

Jeanette

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Seems like there is a lot of variety on the sizes out there! I guess anyone planning one of these should go to the store where they will buy them from and measure to see what they're getting.
All I know is I'd love to have 52' of space to play in! I had to move my two brugmansias into our house cause they took up too much room in the GH. I also have a ton of seeds to still plant (daylilies and hostas) and I'm not sure how I'm going to manage.

MollyD

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Molly, do you keep your brugs going year round? I just don't have the room to use them as house plants. Also the lighting. Do they bloom for you in the winter in the house?

Jeanette

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Jeanette this is my first year growing brugs. Someone gave me the seeds and I have two of them. They had just gotten to a good size so I didn't have the heart to cut them back (may have to next winter). We have really large windows with lots of light so that's not a problem for us.

MollyD

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sure wish I had nice big windows like that. I had to cut mine back, strip the leaves, and move them inside where there is no light. They will have to stay there for about 6 months.

Jeanette

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

One woman I know cuts hers back to within a few inches of the soil and puts the pots in her heated basement. They seem to do well for her.

MollyD

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I tried that too. But, you still have to water them. And, I think they actually need more water than you think. Not like dahlia or begonia tubers that don't take any.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I'll ask her how much she waters them while they're stored. I know they take oodles of water while they're up and about!

MollyD

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I have overwintered brugs in my basement. Give them about a cup of water a month

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Hey there you are Jazz! Just talking about you. One cup a month then ? That doesn't sound too bad to me.

MollyD

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

just keep an eye on them. They start shriveling from the tip. If you water too much when they are dormant their roots will rot. I tend to underwater.. but that is because I forget about them

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Is it too late to move them into the basement now? I have mine in the kitchen and I noticed yesterday that a few leaves were falling off. I take it the air might be too dry for them? Or I need to water more. I've watered just before the point where the soil feels dry.

MollyD

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

They are going to lose their leaves. They might just keep a few through the winter. If they are going dormant that is probably too much water for them. You can take them to the basement if you want. Then you don't have to see how pathetic they look over the winter..lol

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

So they're going dormant on their own then? Too bad. I was enjoying the green they brought into the breakfast area.

Thanks!
MollyD

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah.. I have had the ones I left upstairs drop leaves and then regrow but they are never as lush as the ones outside. I have this weird theory that the reason they drop leaves is because the leaves they have are geared for certain conditions..and when those conditions change they make new leaves to fit. Not scientific.. just pondering.
Part of it is the decrease in light. THey are trying to reduce the demand of the plant. Some people routinely strip leaves before they bring them in. but the plant will strip it's own leaves. of course if you are doing it to reduce critters then it makes sense

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

All that is true Jazz, but when mine start dropping leaves the first thing I do is look for spider mites. webs, and you have to look real close Molly.

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Spider mites thrive in a nice warm dry house. Jeanette

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

jnette..True! but I am referring to when something environmental has changed like when you bring them inside. If nothing else has changed and they drop leaves you need to look for other reasons. Even then usually you can tell if there are spider mites by the color of the leaves first

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

That is for sure! darn things anyway.. grumble

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I haven't seen any webs or mites. I fight those all the time in the greenhouse so I would know them if I saw them! It's not all the leaves, just a few that have suddenly turned yellow and dropped off whole.

Molly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.