Stoic Maranta....sort of!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I had a kind of nice Maranta last year, but it never thrived b/c apparently it didn't like ME. LOL Well, I put it outdoors this summer and hoped for the best. I got maybe 1 new leaf and a sad, sad, sad 3 leaved plant. So, when it came time to bring the other kids indoors, I left it's pouty behind outdoors! Hmmmph!(I said well out of earshot of the plant). It has dipped down into the 20's in the last month or so. I went outside today to check on the "iffy" Epi and repot some plants and saw it..... just sitting there looking at me as I bandied about with the other kids. I walked over to it and picked up the pot. Not only were the 3 lonely leaves still in good condition, but there was a new leaf forming! Ya'll, I could not in good conscious continue to leave this plant outdoors to die. I brought her in and will give her another shot. It's said that this is the best part of arguing with your significant other....making up. LOL I know, I need some rest. I'm crazy.

This is the before picture....

GH

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

and this is it now....:)

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Ooops, here it is...

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Ah, promise and hope!!

I have to tell you, I really think that these darned plants have a sort of 'demand' for a rest period where they seem to go somewhat 'dormant'...I have a variegated one that regulary dies back, regrows, and repeats.
I've never read that anywhere...but that seems to be the case, IMHO.

She's looking good GH!!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Now I'm looking for cold hardiness information on this plant. Surprisingly, I can't find anything definitive. I hadn't thought it would survive temps as low as 28 degrees. I wonder how much more of a dip this plant could have withstood. Does anyone know? Meanwhile, I'll go check a few of my plant books!

GH

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi GH, I have one of these, and I keep mine indoors all the time. It's been putting out leaves like crazy, just like all my Pothos and Philodendrons! I know one book I have says that this variety has a minimum winter temps of 50 degrees F. Mine stays in the 68-75 range most of the time. It sounds like maybe yours just got too cold. How is it doing now that you've brought it inside?

Here's what mine looks like now:

Thumbnail by candace101
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Candace!

It's not doing very much, but because it's competing for window space with some others! I think I've gotten one or two new leaves since bringing it in. I'm just now finishing mixing up the special plant brew. You've probably seen it discussed on the Hoya and HP forum. I have to figure out what I'm going to store it in. Can't wait to try it on my plants. I've heard so many good things about it!

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi GH,

I think I have heard of the plant brew, I'll have to look up those threads again. You'll have to let us all know how it works for you.

It sounds like your prayer plant is coming back to life. Even mine had me a little worried a couple of months ago, but it's been putting out leaves like crazy for the last couple of weeks now. I moved mine to a brighter spot, and even though it has to compete for window space with other plants here, it's still doing well. If you plant has new leaves, then all is not lost!

(Zone 1)

Sure wish I knew y'all's secret to keeping this plant healthy ... I can grow a lot of things, but this one just dies whenever I've tried it! Such a pretty plant too. Seeing your photo's makes me want to try again!

Lin

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I sure hope she will grow back to being as robust as she once was. Maybe I can squeeze her in somewhere with better light.

Lin, the Calatheas are the hardest for me. The trick is keeping them warm, humid and with j ust the right amount of moisture. Let them miss a beat with one of these and they are GONERS!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Glad to know what plant I have by the correct name. Mine just bloomed. I did not even know these put any kind of bloom. It is very dainty.

Oh Hi ya'all I just started getting into "house plants" since is too cold to garden outside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.