Anthurium Question

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi all!

Anthurium growers, how do I tell if the new stalk is going to be another leaf or flower? I've tried to go around looking at the Ants. in GHs to see if I can tell the difference. I cannot. It appears that the same stalk that bears a new leaf could also be the one that bears a new flower! also, the new leaves that are forming at the base of the plant have a reddish backside, whereas the older leaves do not.

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

2nd shot..

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

There is no way to tell because they are the same. Each shoot will (ideally) produce a leaf and then a flower. There is always the potential for the flower although sometimes it "aborts". I have one plant that always produces a flower for each new leaf. What you see there are the beginnings of new leaves that should, in the end, produce a flower also. I'll try to take some photos but I'll have to catch the leaves and flowers at the right time in the process so it may take a while. Most of my plants aren't at home right now but I'll check them this week.

Here is the explanation taken from an article found on the International Aroid Society site. I saved it some time ago. Not sure exactly where on the site I found it.

Growth in Anthurium is sympodial with each shoot bearing a bi-carinate prophyll and a larger, single-keeled cata-phyll, a foliage leaf, and terminating in an inflorescence. The inflorescence, although always potential, may abort (Engler, 1877). The cataphylls, which are usually green, promptly turn brownish, reddish, or yellowish and may be de-ciduous. More frequently they persist, either remaining intact, such as in section Calomystrium Schott and some other species, or they are mar-cescent, variously weathering into a network of persistent fibers that may accumulate debris.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Ok. Lucked up and I've got a small one here at the house that's blooming and getting a new leaf. In this picture, the new leaf is forming on the right. Just below it on the left, is the base of a relatively new flower stem that formed on a mature leaf stalk.

Thumbnail by NematanthusNut
Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

another photo

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

last one

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, thank you NN. Very helpful information.:)

GH

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

It was probably "overkill", but you're welcome. Can you tell I need a social life??????????????

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

You and me both! LOL

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hey you two...this *is* my social life, LOL!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.