Native Plant Nurseries

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes that is it. When I went through the list I missed it. They have great stuff. I'm surprised that Ga does not have more listed. I will check with some of my friends and see if there are others. Thanks for the update.

It's not that GA doesn't have more native plant nurseries listed, I just haven't gotten to finish searching by google and yahoo and through notes. Even if I could get through all that, I wouldn't really know the nurseries in Georgia and would have to do more digging so it would be really great if you could get information on more native plant nurseries for Georgia. Thanks so much.

Washington DC is a another tough one for me. I've been there but I didn't exactly go plant shopping. I found these but can find little information about them-
http://www.earthsangha.org/nfg/
this one appears to be selling 100% native plants based on their inventory but I need to read more at their site to see what they are really selling so to speak.
http://www.wetland.org/index.htm
this one seems to have plant sales and again... their plant material is 100% native but I can't tell if they are an actual nursery or not just yet.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Ok here in North Texas there is a little chain - I will have to look up all the places it can be..
Redenta's Garden
Address: 5111 W Arkansas Ln, Arlington, TX 76016
Phone: (817) 451-2149

I know that they have several more, now they do not have 100% natives but they can help you know for sure this one or that one... They try to keep a lot of unique native plants.

And - Sagebrush Nursery
Address: 1908 S Hampton Rd, Red Oak, TX 75154
Phone: (972) 223-8284

Once again not native only but their plants are huge and healthy

There are a few more in Hillcountry that I will try to add later.

On Mail ordering - I have great trouble with mail ordered Natives on the whole... They come smaller and have a hard time taking the trip well... I do gather seeds and cuttings but if I want to buy this or that I tend to see the plant and check it out first (roots and all) before I buy - just my two cents...

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Mitch, regarding the mail ordering I've done for natives, if the place isn't 100% native, then I have a very low success rate. On places I've mail ordered from that are 100% native, they've all been nice, with a nice root system going.

Hey Equil!! Bradford?? That's like 20 minutes from me. There's a native nursery there? I'm going to have to follow that link.........

Oops, silly me, the link was not for the one in Bradford, so I did a search. They're wholesale only. No wonder I never heard of them. I also didn't know the one in Tampico was wholesale only.

Here's a link for native nurseries in IL that I found

http://www.eiu.edu/~n_plants/pdfs/Illinois%20List.pdf

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Maybe that is it - the 100% native thing... I promise you there have been a few times I wondered where they dug it from..

Mitch, I ordered from one of the places up there on the list, not in IL and not 100% native. There were about a dozen plants that when I tipped the pot over, the dirt totally fell away from the minuscule plant. Guess they grew the plants in water. Of course they didn't survive. I learned my lesson. Expensive lesson, but I learned it none the less.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have just gotten a little more picky, I even found Bluestone to give some rather small plants for the price vrs what I can get local and I dont have to wait for the mail guy so he does not set them in the sun!

Oh no kidding! Ever had UPS "forget" where your house is? They then send you a little postcard and you call and give them directions. My poor plants sat in some warehouse for almost a week, in a box. I'm the same, picky that is.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Had it happen, better yet I have had a box given to the guy next door who forgot to get it to me for a week too..

Oh my, but you have such a nice neighbor. Wait, my boxes are always marked live plants, this side up. What did yours say? I hope you filed a complaint with whoever, be it UPS, FedEx or the USPS. You're reminding me though, I had plants delivered when we would be away. I asked a neighbor lady to please get the box and open it up, take the plants out and give them all good drinks, every day. Did she? Nope. She opened the box and that was it. Problem was each pot was wrapped in plastic and even if she watered or it rained, water or rain doesn't penetrate plastic. Those plants were in really sad shape after a week, but at least the box was open.

Edited to add missed word.........

This message was edited Nov 21, 2006 9:16 PM

Seaford, NY(Zone 7a)

Equilibrium and others
Hesperis matronalis and Daucus carota as well as a few other possible non-native, invasives are in some of the seed mixes from Southern tier consulting (from the NY company list)
However... the website does note which species it offers are native to NY or the northeast US.

Oh branches, good catch. I totally missed that. I went back and looked at their mixes and you just hit upon what many people get so upset about... formally identified exotic invasive species getting mixed in and accounting for a disproportionately high percentage of the mix. They're using it as fillers it appears. That's no better than the "shake and bake" meadow in a can you can pick up at any big box store that sprinkles ickies around. I looked at their mixes and they are not clearly differentiating between introduced and indigenous so after I'm done peeling about 20 lbs off potatoes, I'll go back and remove them. Not only did I see the two you mentioned but I found Agrostis alba and Agrostis stolonifera in their mixes as well as Echinochloa crusgalli, Lolium multiflorum, Chrysanthemum leucanthem, Setaria italica, Anthoxanthum odoratum, Dactylis glomerata, Trifolium hybridum, Phleum pratense, and Avena sativa. All of which are introduced and many are formally identified as exotic species.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Very important announcement!

In case you missed it, Dave has created a new "local resources" garden directory here: http://davesgarden.com/local/

Not only can you add these local garden centers and nurseries, but you can also add public gardens, parks/arboreta, and other gardening-related local businesses and organizations.

Please feel free to add all the "local gardening attractions" in your area, and please add your comments, too! Especially helpful is information about what the garden center/nursery offers, hours of operation, amenities available, etc.

I saw the area for pumpkin patches and corn mazes. That was neat. So was the area for U-Pick Fruits and Veggies. Is it possible to add a category over there for Native Plant nurseries exclusively? Of course a catchall Plantaholics area might be interesting. Just kidding.

I do plan on trying to find a way to add these nurseries on to the list but was sort of waiting to see if additional categories were created.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Corn mazes and crop circles...we gotta have those places too! =)
Debbie
(who sometimes likes to be silly)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Corn maizes? Is that in the Museum of Redundency Museum ;)

I have been looking at adding plant sellers. I would need to have all the info correct about them right?

Ohhhhh, crop circles. Now there's a good one. I forgot about those. I watched a documentary on how they believed some of those were created and I always wanted to try my hand at that but I didn't think the farmers around here would be too happy with me if I went out and tried to express myself artistically in their corn fields.

Al--the crop circles would then be found at the University of Ufology. =)

that would depend on how personal you wanted to get with the sellers; shoe size and height is always a good place to start....

Equilibrium - we aren't going with specific type of plants, so I'm afraid a category just for "natives" isn't possible. (But if you add a comment, you can note if it's a native plant source.)

bigcityal - corn mazes, not corn maizes. Which would be most certainly deserve being deposited in the repository of the archives of the Museum of Redundancy ;o)

Seriously, as much info as possible is good. If you're on dialup or otherwise having problems with Google's maps, you can bypass the coordinates and we'll add them after-the-fact.

I've added a few and left the longitude and latitude for Dave to figure out :o) I've also left feedback for almost all that I created. Cool feature!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

For the use of this list of natives this is still the best way to do it... st least until there is a way to add that some are natives only or mostly natives.

I've got about 100 more almost exclusively native plant nurseries to add here but I got side tracked with some tropical plants. That darn plantaholism snuck up on me and bit me in the butt.

I did have problems figuring out how to get the latitude and longitude from the Google Maps. I have a handheld GPS but still have difficulty figuring out how to use that so I shouldn't be surprised that I couldn't locate coordinates in Google. I'll have a kid show me how to get the coordinates before I add the nurseries and yes, I will add comments. I've been keeping good notes on this end but got a little bogged down.

Actually--you can google the town, state and then type in latitude and longitude on the same thread and it will pop up.

If it is that easy, I will be really annoyed. I sat there trying to load one lousy entry for about a half hour so they didn't get saddled with loading all the coordinates and I was not a happy camper. Lemme go check it out.

worked for me when I needed my longitude and attitude. =)

Well... I think I will simply go and slap myself silly. Just for yucks, I loaded Milwaukee Wisconsin latitude and longitude and several links popped right up-
http://www.wisconline.com/greenmap/milwaukee/info/location.html

Now, I think I will go and lick my wounds from sitting there at google trying to figure out how to get the latitude and logitude from their site.

I just had done it before--that's the only way I knew. =)

Madison, WI

Equilibrium,
Great idea! To my shame I only last week found Local tab on DG. It has a search tool for
Parks, Garden centers, etc. by country & state but there's hardly any data to search.
That seems like a good place to store all that data.

Madison, WI

PrairieMoon is in MN not WI

enya, there's no shame - the local resources feature was introduced just a few days ago ;o)

On Nov 19th, Leftwood made this comment,

Quoting:
Minnesota

[HYPERLINK@www.prairiemoon.com] Although I have no objection listing this under IL and WI as they are serviced by this company too, Praire Moon is in Minnesota, and not in either of those states. (Could you list it under Minnesota too?)

My reply to leftwood,
Quoting:
Prairie Moon has genotype from Northern Illinois as well as from Wisconsin. I always forget they are physically located in Minnesota. I place at least one order with them every year. They are wonderful.

I don't think it so much matters if a nursery is mail order or not but more so that the nursery is either 100% native plants or that the vast majority of their inventory is indigenous and non invasive...
There are a lot of posts up there and lots of people probably missed why Prairie Moon was placed under three different states. I think why this thread originally was started was as an easy reference within the indigenous plants forum of nurseries that were simply stated, native plant nurseries as opposed to wildflowers. Native plants are indigenous while wildflowers are plants that have naturalized. Big difference in the two.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Tom Goforth is a fantastic resource for ferns that are native to the eastern half of North America. I had the opportunity to hear him give a talk and the only thing that could have made it better would have been some hour stretchers. I have not had to mail order ferns from him as driving down Scenic Highway 11 in SC is such a nice day trip for me.

www.crowdognativeferns.com

I noticed that Woodlanders had already been suggested for inclusion in SC but had not yet been edited into your listing at the beginning.

www.woodlanders.net

Crowdog Native Ferns and Gardens is an excellent link. It's an added bonus that the proprietor offers talks on native ferns. That's really great.

Woodlanders is billing themselves as a rare native and exotic plant nursery so anyone who knows how to look up the scientific names can do so which is nice. Based on their inventory, I got the impression they added the rare native words to capitalize on the growing interest in native plants. Unfortunately, I looked at their web page for plants they were offering that started with the letter A and was sort of surprised-
http://www.woodlanders.net/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.main/index.htm

They were offering what appeared to be considerably more exotics than natives. Nativity of some of their plants was listed however that tended to be the exception to the rule which was confusing in and of itself as people might assume plants not specifically listed as being say "native to the Canary Islands" were all natives. There are newer gardeners who are interested in at least being advised of what is from where without having to look up each and every plant. Other than that, I found Ampelopsis brevipedunculata var. elegans being offered for sale. Ampelopsis brevipedunculata is formally identified as being invasive and also classified as a noxious weed. That's Porcelain Berry aka Amur Peppervine.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=AMBR7

Many of the nurseries listed above sell some exotics but exotics aren't the mainstay. Woodlanders does have some nice plants though.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Florida - Florida Native Plants Nursery - the best I've found in the area. We go there even though it's an hour and a half away and there are other native plant nurseries much closer

http://www.floridanativeplants.com/

Another is Twigs and Leaves in St Petersburg. I have heard good things but havn't been there yet
http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/twigs-leaves-one-of-a-kind-eco-friendly-plant-nursery-in-st-petersburg/

Thanks for this thread!!

Stacey

I haven't been to this place yet, but I did buy a few plants from them at the Earth Day festivities in Peoria. They aren't mail order;

Prairie Woods Farm
29092 Queenswood Road
Morton, IL 61550

I will get those added soon. Too tired right now.

Thanks for the great additions!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Missouri: www.mowildflowers.net/

Lots of native plants for Missouri and plants that will grow in other states too. Great prices and a great rating in Garden Watchdog. I work at a garden and this is one place where they order plants.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

www.critsite.com nursery in belton,mo

ohhh, very nice! Two for Missouri! I looked at the inventories and both were excellent nurseries from the standpoint of actually selling natives.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.