"Grow" lights

Annapolis, MD

I read the responses to the grow lights question submitted by Sofonisba and I have a related query:

I also bring my tropical plants on to our enclosed porch for the winter. Unfortunately, the plants do not get enough light (not to mention that the porch is a bit chilly) and they are totally stressed by the time they go back outside in the late spring. They end up underperforming because their so busy recuperating.

I was wondering if I could use hanging halogen track lights, with adjustable heights, to help the plants weather the winter. I've had on-and-off experience with grow lights and I find that the lights practically need to sit on top of the plants to do any good and they're not exactly an attractive solution.

Do you think halogens will work; you all seem to prefer flourescents. At what distance from the plants would I use either the flourescents or the halogens. Thanks for your help, Ann

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Halogens get REALLY hot. I wouldn't use them. Your outside plants need sunlight and unfortunately, indoor lights of any kind simply cannot compete. So unless you want to invest in a heated greenhouse, I'd put the lights right on the plant (and to prevent leaf burn, you'd need to use fluorescents). Perhaps try using 2 sets of each kind of bulb to help have a bright light. Good luck. ; )

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

If you're interested in the larger lights, like Metal Halides or High Pressure Sodium, they cover that on the Hydroponics forum a lot.

I've used an HPS light, and if you don't mind the buzz of a ballast, they're very good at reproducing the sun. They can be mounted quite a ways from the tops of the plants. The heat they generate would help with the chilly conditions. The main downside is that they're expensive to buy, and replacement bulbs usually have to be ordered over the web. They're very cost efficient.

Also, a light meter is great. I still have mine, and use it constantly to check light levels throughout the year. My meter measures MH/HPS/sunlight, and has a second setting for flourescents. (sp?)

Hope this helps! :D

Marsha

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Any light is better than no light. I have some halogen lights under kitchen cabinets and have a couple of plants under them with no adverse effects. Although they are hot at a close distance, the heat dissipates quickly within a few inches. Your hand should be a good indicator on how far away the plants should be located.

Feasterville Trevose, PA(Zone 6b)

I found a web site about a year ago, its called steal it back. It is run by the police dept. of San Fransisco I think. They always have Pro Plant lights for bid there.

www.stealitback.com

I just entered "plant light" for a search and came up with bulbs and fixtures. A good place to find interesting things and help the PD Too.

Annapolis, MD

Thank you all so very, very much for your thoughtful and thorough replies; I feel like I've hit pay dirt!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.