Germinating seeds in flats

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,

I have germinated small amounts of seeds in plastic pots with a zip lock bag rubber banded over the top. I now would like to germinate a fairly large number of seeds in a plastic seed flat. I don't really want to buy a sheet of glass to cover it. I was thinking perhaps I could use some coat hangers fashioned into a sort of tent structure placed in the flat then covered with plastic. Or perhaps a sheet of clear plexi glass from tap plastic placed directly on the flat would be inexpensive?

The seed flat is only about 2" high so even if I only put 1" of potting soil I may have a head room problem with any flat cover.

Thanks for any tips.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I do it without a cover all the time--just watch the moisture.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I have used drycleaner bags before in a pinch. just make sure you air them out every day or so, and don't let the plastic touch the plants.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I lay a sheet of wax paper over my flats. I remove it as soon as the seeds sprout.
Andy P

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I usually use a sheet of glass, but I'm sowing a lot more flats right now than I have glass for, so I'm using another flat ( the more *openwork* ones) placed upside down on top and then the whole encased in a kitchen drawstring trash bag. After the seeds have sprouted and bag removed, I leave the upside down flat in place til potting up the seedlings. Even after potting the young seedlings, I use the upside down flats on top of my seedlings in pots to keep the birds from getting to them.

Sherry

This message was edited Nov 12, 2006 8:17 PM

Middletown, CA

Harmony farm supply sells flats and also seperate clear plastic raised lids that fit over them. If I remember, they may have 2 different heights for the lids. They list only a very small part of what they have on their web page, but you can order on the phone (or visit the store) and also request their catalog.

http://www.harmonyfarm.com/

Nataraj

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The cover is just to regulate moisture...anything will do...as stated above, plastic wrap is cheap and easy. All you need it for is till the seeds start to sprout anyway...after that, it's just fungus waiting to happen if you leave it on.

I lay a sheet of plastic wrap across the potting mix lightly...no need to secure it. If moisture condenses on it any more than a light misty haze...then your mix is too wet and it needs to be removed. As soon as your seedlings start to emerge, remove the plastic...no need to wait for them all to come up.

I use the plastic wrap on any container I want to start seeds in. This increases your options and anything can be a potential pot...deli containers are great.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I use that new "press n seal" plastic wrap.. great stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.