need knowledgeable, experienced winter sowing input esp.from

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

critterologist: I wish I had your energy. I'm too lazy to pot up. Everything I did got plunked right into beds when tiny- first or second set of true leaves for many of them. But I did experiment with sowing some in styrofoam cups, placed into an underbed storage box, and they did well. (I think I used moisture polymer in most of those). I also used a piece of spongey foam (which had been used for shipping fruit) as a holder for about a dozen of the cups in the underbed box. That box really kept the box humid.

Karen

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's not a question of energy... almost none of my seedling hunks survived... so I figured I'd be better off adapting some of what works for me indoors to WSing. Your underbed storage box sounds like it would work well, also!

East Meadow, NY

Can you add a timer to a sprinkler on a hose? I don't have the time to take care of it all myself so I use timers on the hose and set them up to water seedlings.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Poojer, I don't know how I gardened before timers! You can get timers that just attach between the hose and the hose bib. We've got soaker hoses in almost every bed, plus drip irrigation in our little orchard, and most of those lines are connected to a chain of electronic valves attached to a programmable controller that's inside the house.... How wonderful to say, oh it's raining, I'd better turn the irrigation off... and then just walk into the dining room to do so! If anybody is interested in something more than they can find at HD, try http://www.mrdrip.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.