Unknown plant

Oregon City, OR(Zone 8b)

I bought this plant because I thought it was so beautiful. Can anyone tell me what it is? Also, when I first purchased it, it was a lot fuller but now it's kind of leggy looking so I don't know if it needs more light or just to be trimmed back.

Thank you.

Thumbnail by SarahL
Oregon City, OR(Zone 8b)

Another pic

Thumbnail by SarahL
Oregon City, OR(Zone 8b)

and a close up

Thumbnail by SarahL
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

It's Fittonia. The small leaved ones I find need good light and humidity.

They are easy to take as cuttings. You may want to rejuvinate your plant. I'd take some cuttings then cut the whole plant back pretty brutally, it will come back believe me.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow...I kinda like it like that. ; ) Someone posted on another thread...can't remember who...that in their house, they call this the "drama queen" because if it gets a little too dry, it completely collapses and then perks back up as soon as you water it. lol I think of that every time I see this plant, now. ; )

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes these are really remarkable plants. A colleague at work came back from two weeks vacation a couple of years ago and her co-workers hadn't watered her pink veined fittonia. She brought the pot to me, it was literally two sticks in the soil. You should see it now though, it's thriving, but boy if I don't water it on Friday afternoons when I come in on Monday it's all collapsed. It comes back amazingly though.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6b)

I have one of those plants too (I guess it's a big-leaf kind) and the "drama queen" comment cracked me up. It's true! Once when I didn't water m ine, it drooped down over the side of the pot and looked absolutely horrible. Then, within about 20 minutes was standing straight up!! The first time it happened, I gasped when I walked back because it had moved so much! Hate to admit it, but I purposely didn't water it so I could sit there and stare at it... I could actually see it move! Ok, I'm easily amused :)
It's nice to be back on DG....I've been away for several months :)

Oregon City, OR(Zone 8b)

Thank you so much. I was about ready to pull my hair out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.