Oxalis Species?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know if this is Oxalis, the species? I photographed this growing in my Aunt's yard in NC earlier this year. I used to eat the flowers when I was a little girl. Seriously...LOL

GH

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Don;t know very pretty though.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Sure looks like it to me! ; )

Perhaps this one?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/2833/

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

It sure looks like those in the pics to me. Wow, and from this species(I am presuming), they've made the purple oxalis, somehow? Amazing!

(Zone 1)

Looks like Oxalis to me too ... usually see this color in our garden centers in the spring.

Really Pretty!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

GH, you not alone, I used to eat the stems too. Sour tasting. Brings back summer memories!
d

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, so I wasn't the only one huh? LOL And you are right about it tasting sour. LOL We used to also eat the wild honeysuckle. Now that WAS sweet! The things kids do, huh?;)

Here's the wild honeysuckle I used to eat as a kid- photographed in May 2006.

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Is it the same as what we used to call 'Sheep sour' or Sheep Shower'?
We used to eat that too.....!! I don't remember seeing those pretty flowers it though?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't recall ever hearing that name, but you know how that goes. Different parts of the US refer to the same plant by different names!

It's nice to know I'm in good company as far as eating plants as children. Does this show our age somehow? LOL

GH

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Must be the same thing...kinda sour but yet kinda tasty?!

Showing our age....hmm...prolly so!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are you maybe thinking Sheep Sorrel? I've heard some types of oxalis called something along those lines.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I used to take the flowers and stick them together to make a necklace and eat the stems. AND I ate the honey suckle too. As a matter of fact we have HS growing wild on our fence and the last year my huband caught me "trying" it. :) Didn't seem to be that much work for so little sweetness when I was young'un.
d

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

That could be it, ecrane.....my friend who (ahem) MADE me eat it (LOL!) called it sheep sour, though...I think...likely because it was sour!!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Peer Pressue can leave us feeling a bit traumatized sometimes! LOL

Horsens, Denmark

Hi :o)))
Does the oxalis have rizhomes or bulbs?

This message was edited Nov 25, 2006 3:17 PM

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Yeah, GH, I used to eat it, too... tart, nice taste :) I just posted a little while ago... when I was a child we would pretend to be 'horses'. We ate the wild garlic and onions, and now you've made me remember that we ate the oxalis, too! LOL

I have the 'brand' of oxalis above growing in my yard. I love it.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

That looks like the oxalis I have in my yard. It grows from tiny little tubers and comes back every year. I saw another thread (somewhere) talking about sheep sorrel and it didn't look anything like this.

Oxalis is one of my favorite flowers. The green mound is so full and healthy, and the flowers are delicate and pink. So Nice!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I know that my purple Oxalis has tubers, rather than bulbs. I think the green one probably grows the same way. BTW, my purple one is dormant now and will wake up in the Spring. It's really a beautiful plant.

GH

Mine freezes back in the winter, but it still has lots of green, but it looks raggedy by spring, when it comes forth with a vengeance for another blooming season. It anchors me with my past, my grandmother and aunt. Another reason why I totally love it.

Horsens, Denmark

Hi growhappy.
I am pretty much convinced that the one in the photo is an oxalis articulata species. They have rizhones.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

They seem to grow wild in that part of North Carolina. I don't ever remember anyone in the family planting them. LOL That's what I miss about NC- the natural beauty. It's a far cry from Baltimore. Sheesh!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.