November BINGO, let the game begin!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Please see this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/666368/ for the game rules. I will post calls at random times during the day. If all 15 names on your list have been called, you have Bingo, but you must post "BINGO!" on this thread in order to win. Lauri will confirm your Bingo by checking the card you sent her, and then we'll make arrangements via Dmail for sending out your prize box of leaves.

To add to the fun, I may post a photo of the AV called without posting the name right away... With only 35 possibilities, it should be possible to ID them from pictures & descriptions... You can blame my DH if you find that frustrating, LOL, as it was his idea! ;-) I will not keep you guessing forever, however. By the end of each day, I will post the name(s) of the AV(s) called that day. The person who gets the most correct IDs (first person to post the ID) will also win a prize (to be determined).

I will keep a running list of names called by editing the second post of this thread at the end of each day.

Good luck, everyone!!!

edited to add the list of 35 choices from which everyone made their cards, for easy reference.
(These are not the calls; this is the entire list... The daily calls are on the next post!)

Petite Blarney
Silly Girl
Peppermint Girl
Sure to Please
Smitten Kitten

Plumberry Glow
Child’s Play
Raspberry Sizzle
Lil Bit o’ Irish
Candy Crystals

Rebel’s Rosebud
Rebel’s Splatter Kake
Apache Victory
Buckeye Evermore Freckles
Grape Slush

Biscayne Trail
Skagit Victory Trails
Yesterday’s Valentine
Tiger Trail
Yesterday’s Child

Ruth’s Girl
Ramblin’ Midget
Allegro Appalachian Trail
Champagne Pink
Deer Trail

Rob’s Cherry Soda
Rob’s Love Bite
Rob’s Whiz Bang
Rob’s Bunny Hop
Rob’s Gundaroo

Sheer Romance
Ruffled Romance
The Martin
Trinket Terrific
Optimara Little Crystal

(This first photo is not one from the list... it's my favorite Big Blue NoID!)

This message was edited Nov 6, 2006 11:09 PM

This message was edited Nov 6, 2006 11:11 PM

This message was edited Nov 13, 2006 10:50 AM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This space reserved for calls. It will be edited & updated at the end of each day.

Apache Victory (11/6)
Skagit Victory Trails (11/6)
The Martian (11/6)

Ruth's Girl (11/7)
Rob's Whiz Bang (11/7)

Rebel's Rose Bud (11/8)
Allegro Appalachian Trail (11/8)

Ramblin' Midget (11/9)
Yesterday's Child (11/9)

Rob's Cherry Soda (11/10)
Optimara Little Crystal (11/10)
Trinket Terrific (11/10)

Rob's Bunny Hop (11/11)
Raspberry Sizzle (11/11)
Champagne Pink (11/11)

Silly Girl (11/12)
Smitten Kitten (11/12)

Yesterday's Valentine (11/13)
Sheer Romance (11/13)
Ruffled Romance (11/13)

Buckeye Evermore Freckles (11/14)
Child's Play (11/14)

Rebel's Splatter Kake (11/15)
Tiger Trail (11/15)
Deer Trail (11/15)

Plumberry Glow (11/16)
Rob's Love Bite (11/16)

Grape Slush (11/17)
Lil Bit 'o Irish (11/17)
Rob's Gundaroo (11/17)

Peppermint Girl (11/18)

This message was edited Nov 17, 2006 10:33 PM

This message was edited Nov 18, 2006 2:59 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The first call is in honor of my nephew, who just turned 5. He was fascinated by the colors of this leaf baby and picked it out as the one he wanted above all others on the crowded plant stand.

Here's the leaf baby photo:

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

And here's a photo of the mother plant in bloom:

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's a standard by J. Monk....

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Apache Victory??? : )

Apache Victory - and.....I have it

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, that's it!

Here's a closer look at that pretty bloom...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is beautiful!!! PLUS I have it on my card!!! YEAH!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's the next call... a trailer with variegated girl foliage!

(If your eyes are sharp, you can probably make out the name tag on this one.)

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Skagit vitory trails?

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Good eye, Sharon! I wouldn't have been able to make it out if I didn't know what it was! lol

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I had no idea what it was as I am new to AV. I could make out the label. The only thing that hasn't failed me yet is my eyes.

Neither of todays were on my list, however have enjoyed the photos.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I love the way you are doing the calls...so much suspense...and such pretty pictures!!!
JanetS

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I like it too....but I'm thankful that some of you know what these are, as I'd never get anywhere without your help!! LOL!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

'Skagit Victory Trails' it is! I was so excited when I discovered a variety that combined 3 of my favorite things... a trailing habit, girl foliage, and variegation! Just a few years ago, I didn't know any of these traits belonged to African Violets, LOL.

I think I lost this plant of 'SVT' while we were in NC, so it won't be an option for the leaf prize box, but I have several leaf babies coming along well for spring. 'Ramblin' Reflections' is a similar variety that seems to grow out (for me) with more cream variegation on the leaf...

Here's a "first bud" photo of 'Ramblin' Reflections'.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh wow!
That looks gorgeous! ; )

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm looking at the plant now ('R. Reflections')... 2 nice crowns and some more starting... it will clearly need to be trimmed back a bit when I'm cutting leaves for the prize boxes...

With trailers, it seems that removing a few larger leaves so light can reach the interior of the plant will encourage those tiny suckers to grow... sometimes I get really daring and pinch out a crown to put down for a new plant, and then new crowns form where the plant was pinched.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is just beautiful!!! Love the foilage!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Bonus call tonight!

This one has "wasp" blooms and bustled foliage...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

BTW, I think we're going to make this a bit more interesting.... I'm going to find something to send to the person who has the most correct IDs from the photos... If I have enough leaves to go around (depending on if we have multiple winners on the final day of the game), it will be another prize box with leaves... otherwise, it'll be seeds or houseplant cuttings or... ??

So, please keep track of how many times you are the first person to post with the correct ID for the variety called. There are only 35 possibilities, so this is not only a contest for long-time AV fanciers, LOL.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm changing my answer (hey...no one's seen it yet!) to The Martian. ; )

This message was edited Nov 6, 2006 9:10 PM

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Is there some place we can be looking these up that has photos?

So far I am 0 for 3 on the very first day! That's not a good sign! LOL

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

lol I'm googling. Still can't find some of them.

Well, I saw it, but I don't remember what it was! LOL

I'll have to try Google more, I guess. I gave up after looking one up and not finding it.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Critter, what is it? I have to go to bed soon..LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Not only did CJ get it right, she had the correct spelling! 'The Martian' isn't a registered variety, and the label on mine was misspelled... but I went looking and found 'The Martian' on the Bluebird website, http://bluebirdgreenhouse.com/html/std09.htm

MGH, the photos I'm posting are my own, but the AVSA site has photos of a lot of varieties. You can also find photos and descriptions by googling the AV names from the list of choices. Those who have the First Class program have something of an advantage, but there are a few varieties on the list (like 'The Martian') that aren't in the database. Some of my AVs came from trades, but some came from Rob's Violet Barn and some from The Violet Gallery, so their websites may also have photos & descriptions if you check. I think I've posted most of these photos before on this forum, also.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good morning! Yes, I'm finally awake, LOL.

Our first call this morning is a standard trailer whose foliage will give you a clue to the name.

:-)

Ruth's Girl?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes!

You are quick!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

;( not for me..maybe the next one..lol

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Susan, were you looking over critter's shoulder for that one? Man!! You're good!! lol ; )

No, it was just a lucky guess with the foliage hint she gave me.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The next call is one that I loved and lost... and had bad luck propagating it too. :-( So if anybody has one, please put a leaf down for spring trades!

BTW, I may not be able to edit the calls list again until after midnight... I got a "too many edits" response when I tried and discovered there is a limit of 5 edits per day... I'm still confused, since I'm pretty sure I didn't try to make 6 edits today (I did preview an edit a couple of times, though, and maybe those previews counted), and I've got a note in to admin about it...

I think I've seen this one described as having longifolia leaves, although the hybridizer just says "nice TLV foliage."

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Rob's Whiz Bang!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That was quick! LOL, next time I shall smudge out the name on the pot. ;-)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Nope no WHIZ BANG for me...lol...okay Critter...I am sending esp for the next one...LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My esp antennae are quivering! However, you'll need to get the message to the two little purple dice that I am rolling for the calls... I've got a couple of 10 sided gaming dice, and I just roll them until they give me a number between 1 and 35 that I haven't called yet... When I get down the list a little further, I'll probably put the remaining ones into a hat (or more suitably into a flowerpot).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh! Thank you Terry! I just tried again and was able to "edit" the second post of this thread to add 'Rob's Whiz Bang' to the call list.... my restriction must have been lifted. You know, I'll bet I was doing some editing last night when I was up waaaay too late goofing around in DG, and that's how I hit my limit.

Yea!! RWB is on my list!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.