Philodendron 'Brazil' ??

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I found this at Wal-Mart in the thow away cart. It still had a barcode on it, so I took it. ;~) Brazil?? Does he bright light to keep and get the variegation back?

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, it is 'Brasil'. Bright light will get the variegation back. It's a fairly easy Philo. It will appreciate a moss pole to climb.

GH

(Zone 1)

Debbie:

Nice "Rescue" plant ....

I have 4 of these Philo 'Brasil' plants, three of them in hanging baskets and one just in a small pot. They are a very easy plant to grow and really pretty too. The brighter the light, the more pronounced the verigation in the leaves.

GrowHappy:

Where can one get the moss poles? I think I might try that with one of my Brasil's!

Lin

(Zone 1)

Debbie: I forgot ... I love to rescue plants from Wal-Mart, or Home Depot or Lowes in their clearance area! I have 2 Gloxinia's that I got for $1.98 each at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and they are looking pretty good now! I have bought Orchids on clearance in the past also, isn't it great getting plants for practically nothing and having them thrive?! I always think, even if one dies, at least I didn't spend a lot for trying!

Lin

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Lin, you can buy them from MosserLee.com or you can make your own. I made one for my Monstera Deliciosa from chicken wire and spaghum moss. I felt mighty "handy" that day! Seriously, I felt a great sense of accomplishment. It's not pretty, but it does it's job(when I remember to rewet the spag). You can also sit a small pot of water(plant pot) on top of the pole and then just let it run down into the moss to wet it.(learned that one from The Houseplant Expert). Just last week, I learned from someone on the aroid forum, that you can use a turkey baster to squirt the water on the moss.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info!!! I saw some of those moss poles, I beleive MosserLee at the nursery. How tall for a Brasil? I think I may get one for my Neon Pothos too. Let em climb and hang a little.

Lin, I see those plants and just feel so bad for them like they have souls or something. You can't help but rescue one! LOL

Debbie

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Debbie, I wish they would sell moss poles here locally. I waited for a whole year , hoping they would show up. Meanwhile, my plants were getting bigger and begging for something to climb! I finally broke down and went into Ace Hardware and bought chicken wire! The guy asked me, "How much do you need?" The blank look on my face must have prompted him to ask me his next question, "What are you using it for?" LOL I told him and he said, "Okay, follow me." When I got to the register to check out, I realized that I didn't have anything to cut this wire with. He kindly showed me to a lovely display of cutters on the wall. LOL Then he says, "Oh, but wait, I think may have some back here on clearance that will work just as well.". Good looking out Mr. Ace Hardware Man!:)

LOL
GH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.