Are YOUR humidifiers on?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I JUST started running mine tonight. My poor plants have probably been bashing me behind my back. They've probably been accusing me of neglect and all manner of BAD things! LOL I have one in every room, except the bathrooms(no plants in there). I usually run them for 24 hours, but sometimes forget to turn them on before I leave for the day! So 24 sometimes turns into 12, which is better than nothing I guess. I try to keep my thermostat at 72 degrees, but find that more difficult further into the winter season. The colder it gets outside, the warmer I NEED to be inside, so that thermostat gets pushed up!

GH

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a pic of the one in my BR. This is a new one that runs without a filter(Hallelujah!!!). It's cool mist and has beautiful blue light that illuminates in the dark. My plants will stop bashing me by morning. They'll all be calm and happy again by then.;)

GH

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Just bought some distilled water for mine! Oh and BTW, I spy with my little eye! Is this a begonia?? All my plants will be green with envy, their humidifier does not have a blue glow in the dark feature! =º(

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Lali, you are SO funny! Yes, it is a begonia. However, me thinks it was labeled incorrectly. The label reads 'Papaya Leaf'. I can't find anything with that name anywhere on the www! BTW, how on earth were you able to draw the pink arrow in my picture? Way cool!

GH

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

You are just going to have a good laugh about this my friend but guess what?
I HAVE THAT SAME EXACT COMFORTER SET! Got it on clearance for $30.00 for the king size! I LOVE it....I love it more now that I see I share good taste with one of America's Finest!
Can I ask you, where did you find your humidifier? I don't have one but have been thinking that I might need one. Was is expensive.
AND..... I have to say.....WHAT BEAUTIFUL PLANTS YOU HAVE DEAR FRIEND!
What a way to wake up in the morning huh? My BR looks alot like that and I love waking up in the jungle!

Kim

Photoshop! and yes, you are correct, no such begonia as 'papaya leaf', that sounds like a descriptor more than anything. Names or no names - Iove them all! (ok, not so fond of Sophie Cecile, the begonia that wont die, but otherwise, love love love them all!) Post a close up over in the begonia forum - see if any one knows it.

My plants have all turned their backs to me and started pouting when I told them about the blue light! I better get them a disco ball to keep everyone happy and under control. they might start a riot!

It's so funny how the brain works. I never even noticed the comforter! LOL. My eye went first the the diff and then second, the begonia! (sorry begonia, but that diff is pretty darn nifty!)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

OK GH,

What is this plant called?

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Ah, Kim, there is a lot to be said for being able to wake up in a jungle! It's a fine thing to wake up to lots of happy green friends. I feel so much peace and love in my BR. I spend a lot of time in there, when I'm not on the puter(hahaha).

Okay, about the humidifier. I bought the two new ones from Target. The one you see in the pic is made by Honeywell. It was, I think, less than $40. I'm sure it wasn't more because I'd have left it on the shelf had it been! You can buy the ones with the filters for less than that and they work just as good. Not that I know how the filterless ones work as this is my first one! I wanted to try it because I hate trying to hunt down the "right" filter and I hate having to change it!

Girlfriend, I LOVE my comforter set. I never want another one again in life, okay? THAT'S how much I love it. It's gold with the reddish brown embroidery. Wal-mart special! LOL I buy all my bedding from Wal-mart. I just don't want to pay a lot of money for bed and bath stuff, you know? I must say, though, that it is the finest bed set I've EVER seen from Wal-Mart. It was in their "top of the line" section of the comforters. LOL :)

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

lol You guys crack me up...

Your plants look GREAT!! ; )

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

That's where I got mine too....I love the mauve in it and the embroidery.
Very comfortable too.....kinda silky on top and cottony on bottom. I have already had to wash mine though as my daughter had an accident with her ice cream one night. Ever since we got the new house, she has decided our bedroom is her "mini apartment". She's constantly in our tub (the plants in the bathroom don't seem to mind....they love the humidity) and in our bed watching TV. Somehow though....she seems to always forget her socks under the comforter....NOT comfortable at 3:00 AM in your back *lol*

Target huh? I'm going to have to go scope it out. We just had a new Target open (just before the new Lowe's did!)

:)

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

You ladies are just the BOMB with the Photo Shop-ing!!! LOL Sounds like a fine Christmas gift to self, wouldn't you say? LOL

Lali- You'd better pacify your babies tonight and tell them that you'll get them a blue light humidifier for Christmas, IF they are good! LOL Although, if you do the disco ball thing, they might forget all about the blue light! Partying has been known to get your mind off of things, ya know!

Lali- which one of the Dieffs caught your eye? The really big one with the yellow markings or the short one with the white markings? I don't know the name of the big one, never have, unfortunately. The short one is 'Tiki'. I love Dieffenbachias! I have 'Tropic Snow' growing in my DD's room. She's completely out of control. I told her she's going to have STOP taking those steroids AT ONCE! LOL

Kim( I keep wanting to call you Kimmie and I'm doing very well at resisting the urge!0:)- The plant you circled in that lovely shade of fuschia is a Sansevieria 'Masoniana', also commonly known as 'Mason Congo'. Sans are another passion of mine. Don't get me started!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

OK GH....You can call me Kimmie if ya want *blushes*......it's what the people closest to me get to call me :)
Does that Sansevieria Masoniana bloom? I'll have to look that one up.
Have never grown a Sans before. Just got my first Adenium though and am VERY worried that I will mess up somehone.....OK.....I'm getting off topic here.....I'm gonna D-Mail you but probably with coffee in the morning as there is so much I wanna say but need to be more awake than I am tonight to write it :)

Kimmie

The big one did. When Kell and I went to Santa Barbara, she bought one that knocked our socks off! I think it's name is....is...shoot, the butter is slipping off this old noodle and I can't for the life of me think of it. But trust me, it was SO cool. AND HUGE! Maybe she posted a photo... I'll go look...

The thing is about the disco ball, is that next their going to want me to leave the CD player set to the Saturday Night Fever sound track...

I just got a few diffs myself. Will have to post some photos, but first, dinner calls. Off to make some taco's girls. Have yourself a super duper evening... ciao for now.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, BTW, Kim- I have a Vicks Cool Mist humidifier in my LR. It runs with a filter and I found it to be a very good one last year. I just hate having to clean it- UGH!!!! I got that one from Wal-Mart and I'm almost positive it was under $30. It's a good investment, especially if you grow a lot of tropicals indoors. I get double bang for my buck because it's good for my skin and DD's nosebleeds in the winter. I have eczema and my skin gets so dry during the winter, along with my hair! DD has bunk beds and insists on sleeping on the top bunk which puts her right up under the vent! None of us could live comfortably without the humidifiers during the cold months!

Oh, I know what you mean about finding socks in the bed. Hate it when: I go to slide my feet across the silky, cold sheets and run smack dab into a rough, linty little sock! It SO messes up my Feng Shui. LOL But, don't you love the fact that you can machine wash these comforters? Who wants to schlepp a comforter to the cleaners every month?!!!! Not Moi.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, Cheryl, THANK YOU for the compliment! How are you this evening? What are your plant friends up to tonight? LOL

GH

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Sweetie....you are EVERYWHERE tonight *lol*....just saw your post on the C&S forum too. Sorry, can't answer your question on crested Euphorbia as I don't have that one.
I would LOVE to sit and chat but the coffee is wearing off and my eyes are getting heavy but I WILL write you a book via D-Mail in the morning I promise K?
I looked up that Sans and flowers are not the selling point of the plant huh?....more of a foliage thing?
I DEFINATELY have to get a humidifier....will tell hubby it's for Jessie's allergies. She has surgery Friday to have ANOTHER set of tubes put in her ears and her adnoids removed....my poor peanut.
I mist my plants daily but I think they need a blue night light *lol*

Kim

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Humidifiers!! Awesome idea. I had no idea they came without filters. I bought one a few years ago just for the plant room and I probably only used it 2 months. Too big of a pain to use. So, we get this one at Target? What brand is it?
GH, your bedroom looks like a great place to sleep, read and relax. I can't keep plants in my bedroom. I work nights and sleep days so I have a dark bedroom.

Debbie

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Morning Baja!

This one is made by Honeywell....

You'll be off to bed soon, eh?:)

GH

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

You gals are creatures of the night, aren't you?! LOL!!

My humidifiers are still in the basement....but I *know* it's time to get them out, as all the plants have been indoors for a few weeks.....I think, (fortunately) that they've been providing eachother with humidity, but have noticed, recently, that many of them are drying out quickly since we've been using the central heat.

Also, seems like the DEhumidifer was just running a couple of weeks ago, so that still has to be put away.

Spend the summer trying to get rid of humidity, spend the winter adding it!! Strange!

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Nan, you and me both. And did you use the water from the dehumidier for your plants? Free source of pure water, now that's gone for a while. We have a centralized humidifier on our furnace set to somewhere around 40 to 50%; I still set up humidity trays for the phalaeopsis and vanilla orchids and I mist the cordylines.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

That humidifier without a filter sounds like something I need to go check out! I can't stand trying to find filters for mine. When I moved to TX I only brought one with me, limited space and all. But I think I will be needing more than one so I guess another wally world trip is in order. And I need to find a filter for the first one. Although I am wondering, I've got a bubbler set up in the one room....do you think this would be enough humidity? It's not a big room.

:) Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.