Question about climbing onion plants

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I have a climbing onion plant coming my way and was wondering how big of a trellis I should have for its foliage? This one is in a 2.5 inch pot and on the small side. I was also wondering if sun or shade was better for this as I read some conflicting reviews in the plant files. Since I am in zone 6, this will be an indoor plant.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

I would suggest repotting into a 6-inch pot, and then a possible trellis is a sturdy wire hoop, sort of like a basket handle, with a diameter of 6-8 inches. You can uncover more of the bulb as you repot, for an interesting look, if it is mostly below ground. I think this is a plant that likes to spread out, and will give you a more luxurious vine. I grow mine outside in summer, and in a south window in winter.

Susan in Minneapolis

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

jj,

I have had one for about 3 years. Here is a post I made on it in 2004. It has pictures of mine and a lot of replies. Hope that will help you.

IThis time of year, it is going dormant. Put it somewhere and "forget it". Water sparingly, if at all. It is a bulb. Mid-way through the winter, it will start growing the fronds like crazy. They are soft and supple. If you can, put something in the pot NOW for them to climb on. They can grow many feet long. All from ONE stem!
I keep mine outside all summer in filtered light. Eventually, it will split in two and make another "onion". I think this happens during the late-winter "awakening". The neat thing is that it has only ONE stem growing out of the tip of the "onion". I read somewhere, that if you see two, that means the bulb is ready to split.

Dividing is easy, when that time comes. Just dump out the whole thing and pull one of the onions away--roots and all and re pot. Hope this is helpful.

I got my original "Climbing Onion" in a trade from CA.

Here's the link from 2004.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/459151/

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

They do not need a big pit. Treat it like an Amaryllis.
Here are some pictures from mine this summer. I sent one of them away to someone who was begging me for one. She said she had been looking for one for 3 years. I had two--so I shared. I only need ONE! In time, more will come.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a close-up of the biggest bulb showing how the vine just grows out of the top.

By the way, it does "bloom", if you can call it that. The flowers are so small, you may not notice them!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the help and the link, gitagal. Those sea onions look like something fun to grow as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.