Tropical Hibiscus from seed

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I need advice on germinating and growing tropical hibiscus from seed. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I had no problems germinating them - I soaked the seed for a couple of hours in tepid water, then sowed in damp peat/soil mix, just covering the seeds with the soil. Keep surface moist & place in a bright but not direct sun location. I think they like a warm environment too.
Hope this helps-
Julie

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

gloriag

I soak my hard seeds in hydrogen peroxide. Had tropical hibs germ in 2 days using this method.

Jan

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Do ALL Hibuscus produce "seed pods"? I have a couple of plants but have never seen a "pod". I'd like to collect seeds for friends and trade.

Robin

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

My two tropicals have never produced a single seed pod - the blossoms just fall off after they are spent. One is a tree form, the other is a shrub form. However, my hardy Rose of Sharon trees produce thousands of seeds each autumn. I have no idea why some do, or why some don't produce seeds.
Any experts here to answer this one?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have never observed seed production either on tropicals; only on hardy hibiscus.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Okay, then there's a difference between a tropical and hardy? (Probably are really dumb question.) lol

Nice to see ya, Julie! =)

This message was edited Oct 26, 2006 4:23 PM

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have had seeds titled "hardy" that were hardy to zone 7, while my own hardy Rose of Sharons are hardy tpo zone 3-4. I "borrowed" a couple of seeds from a tropical Hibiscus in a nursery a few years ago, & the seeds did germinate. Perhaps the term hardy is a general for mid zones?
Hey Robin - In sunny, warm Scottsdale, I would bet that all Hibiscus are hardy!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

GM, Julie. Okay, got it now. lol

I got my answer on the pods in the SW thread.=)

This message was edited Oct 27, 2006 10:31 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.