Salvia Propagation Method?

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Whats your method of propagating salvia?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

division in spring works beautifully. Heel cuttings in early summer work fine also. So does seed, but some perennial varieties take a looong time to get big if started from seed.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2006 7:17 AM

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Rooting cuttings works great for me. Seed works good for me too.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

gapeahen,
Here in California, I'm still doing cuttings of quite a few varieties of salvia. Also start some in water...Waverly, neurepia, Indigo Spires, ..haven't tried all in water yet but working on it. And I'm planting flats of seed...there are some that I don't seem to have luck with from cuttings, so perhaps seed may work better for me on those.
Sherry

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

We're still in the 80's here ...........
Does anyone use a water misting on there salvia's like you would for woody ornamentals. What's your soil growing medium like?

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

I just put potting mix in a pot and use the poke ,grow and forget method. The shootings root and I forget which salvia it was that I poked into the pot. Then it becomes the wait and see method when it flowers:)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"poke ,grow and forget method". Hah! I love the terminology, annette68! (And I know that technique well!)

gapeahen, what kind of salvia are you wanting to propagate? There are so many kinds I believe it'll depend on what variety/type to determine what might be most helpful to you.

Shoe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.