Tamping off.....can someone give an easy explanation?

Southern, United States

Can someone explain the process of tamping off for me? I don't know why I'm having a hard time with it. When do you do it? Do you have to do it? Purpose? etc....etc. Thanks. Fran

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Did you mean "damping off"? I've heard of "tamping" where you usually tamp the soil after you put a post or pole in the ground or tamp a base of gravel for putting pavers or flagstone down. You can also tamp the soil around a transplanted tree, shrub, or other plant to prevent air pockets.

"Damping off" usually refers to a disease prevalent among seedlings. This can be prevented by not letting the soil stay too damp, providing good air cirulation, having sterile growing conditions including soil, etc.

Fungicides can be used as well but these have their own problems (toxicity for instance).

Here is a good link:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page13.html

Southern, United States

Hmmm....I thought tamping off was a process used in seed starting after it got so far along. I guess I'll have to go back to the source I was looking at and see. Thanks.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Tamping down rather than off. I have a propagation book that suggests tamping down moist propagation medium with a brick before making holes with a dibble.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Tamping down simply means to pat the soil down- depending on what you are doing, what you are planting you might want to tamp firmly or lightly- in the instance that you are referring to I'd say that tampling down w/ a brick means "FIRMLY"-

April

Southern, United States

I guess I have the wrong term. I was thinking about something that had to do with the first leaves that form and you had to do something with them. I guess I'll have to get a seed starting book at the library. Thanks.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

lol April--I'd call that firm. =)

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The new seedlings are succeptible to "Damping Off". If you need to seperate the new seedlings into seperate pots, "Pricking out".

Deb, is there a word for 'firm plus'?
LOL

perhaps double x firm? =)
Like t-shirts, maybe?

Yeah I'd say so- can't say I have ever been advised to tamp anything quite that firmly, you?

not soil April--certainly not. =)

Cincinnati, OH

"Damping off" is the quick death of seedlings from either a fungus or the fungal generation of protists.
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page13.html

Stockton, CA(Zone 9b)

I heard that a 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water is useful in preventing Damping Off.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

If you starting seeds indoors, use sterilized potting mix, or sterilize it yourself by baking it for 1/2 with an internal temp of 180F. Keep your containers clean, as well.

Southern, United States

Weezingreens what do you mean by 1/2?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.