How do you propagate HEDYSAROIDES RUBRA (Firefern Oxalis)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I have 4 little twigs of this plant and would like to learn how to propagate it.
I have searched and searched Google to the best of my ability and can't seem to find a site with any information on how to propagate this baby.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Kim,
Oxalis grow from very small tubers or corms, and those reproduce, and then you can divide the plant. I've got the green oxalis in my yard that dies back each winter, and then comes back, but I think yours is more tender.

Sharon

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Sharon, thank you so much for the advice but wouldn't you know that this particular variety is not tubers or corms? This is actually a rooted plant.
I wrote to the E-Bay Seller and she tole me that they do "tip cuttings" with this particular kind.
Since I only had 4 little limbs of it and they are doing so well I decided to order another plant and then try to propagate it as I love it so much and would like to share it with others.
The foliage is stunning and then the little yellow flowers against the red leaves.....breathless.
Thank you for your advice though as I know my other oxalis are bulbs.

Kim

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

It's very pretty! I didn't look at it close enough before, and was thinking of something else. Hope your propagation works :-)

Sharon

Tuckahoe, NY

Hi,
Cuttings are the only way to propagate this oxalis, it does not have bulbs. Use rooting powder, place in moist perlite in small pots in a large ziplock bag and place under flourescent lighting for best results--this plant likes humidity, and the cuttings even more so. O.hedysaroides does best at warmer temps. Love the leaf color, it is one of my favorite indoor plants.
Ernie

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Hello Ernie,

Thank you for taking the time to go into such great detail on how to propagate this plan.
I only had 4 stems of it and couldn't bare the thought of snipping any of them so I ordered another plant to add to my pot and use for cuttings.
I am really falling for this plant also. I love the way the leaves start off kind of green and then turn to the beautiful deep burgundy they are. It seems there are always lots of colors going on this all the time.
Am I going to have a hard time keeping it over the winter in Maine? I find that it seems to lose 2 or 3 leaves on a daily basis but I haven't been worried about it because there are plenty of new leaves coming. Is this common for this plant? I never know if it's something to worry about or normal when a plant "sheds".
I can't provide it flourescent lighting in my home but I do mist it quite frequently.
IF I get the new job I interviewed for this week, I will plan to bring this baby to my office so that I can provide it with flourescent lighting.

Thank you for taking the time to share your tips with me.

Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.