Indoor Rosemary???

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Does anyone have a rosemary plant that they keep inside in the winter? I love rosemary, but every time I bring one indoors, I loose it. I wondered if there is a type that does well indoors? Thanks, Lou

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

The only way these do well indoors is if you can find a spot for it that has both very bright light and very cool temperatures.....which, if you're like me, is a *really* tough 'spot' to find in a heated home during the winter!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I tried it once and failed miserably. Most Mediterranean herbs thrive outdoors in full sun!

GH

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I always cringe when I see the potfulls/topiaries of this at WM around Christmastime.....knowing that they'll be dead as a doornail in notime when some poor unsuspecting folks take them home.
They're not exactly cheap, either!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Seriously considering come spring you get them for $3.?? and they grow like crazy!!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, these are pretty nice looking topiary forms....in the 'conical' shape of a Christmas tree, you know?
But, yeah....much cheaper to buy in the spring as a starter plant and train yourself.
I was watching a greenhouse owner near here do it once.....not too difficult, really!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Funny thing is that I planted two small Rosemarys when I bought my townhouse a few years ago. Not knowing they could be "trimmed" they got out of control so I dug them up and gave them to a neighbor. The next year I couldn't figure out what scent was missing from my front...come Christmas time I was walking through their lawn and garden - when I smelled IT!!! Yepper, it was the little Christmas tree shaped Rosemarys. Needless to say...I bought one come spring and trim it at least 3x each year!! Love the scent!!!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I love cooking with fresh rosemary. It not only smells nice, but adds an awesome flavor to meats. I love to smell it, too, Chantell. I always sniff the sprig placed on my pasta dish @ Macaroni Grill. Folks often take notice, but who cares? What do THEY know about the magic of herbs????? LOL

GH

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

GH - I keep hearing that re seasoning with it in cooking...I've never used it for that. Sad huh? Think I need to find some recipes for that definately!!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

rosemary is a great scent! it is listed in herbal books as one that is a stimulating herb. if you have high blood pressure it can raise it. weird huh?

kelly

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

So if I tape it to my upper lip will I burn more calories though out the day? LOL Just a thought!!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

ROTFLMBO!!!
I wanna see a photo of *THAT*!!!!(Ü)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah....I bet you would!!! Just might do that...

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

It is my favorite herb and I love to use it with chicken. I too don't have much luck getting it to live until the summer. I think of reason every day I want to live in a better zone.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Better zone Diane :)) I think I will try growing it inside for fun though we can grow it outside year round too !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

It's so good to learn I'm not such a failure ,after all. Why would WM sell it as a houseplant when it is sure to die here in Indiana's heated houses? "Because it is walmart, dummie!" my alter ego said over my shoulder. I even bought an expensive one at a nursery that said it was "especially grown for indoor herb gardens". It died quicker than the walmart one. Do you know if they will tolerate zone 5 winters? If so, I plan to buy some in the spring. Thanks for all your info. Lou

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Dispatcher, I'm thinking it's hardy only to Zone 10....(Central and South Florida?)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No, they're hardier than that--I think all the way to zone 7. Still won't make it in 5b though!

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I actually have a small rosemary plant that I keep on the windowsill in my kitchen. I love adding it to my potatoes! Anyway, the window faces west, and since it gets so cold outside it's much cooler right in the window than it is in the rest of the house. I'm not saying it thrives, but it survived last winter despite my underwatering it and still managed to grow, albeit slowly. I don't know if a big plant would work, but a windowsill plant might.

Kelly

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mine has made it outside in the ground - 7A

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.