Look what I got!! ID Please!!!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I just got this plant from Lowe's but it's not labled. GRRRRRRR Is it that plant that's related to the Spider Plant?

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Here's from the side. The stems look like Orange Sherbert!!!

Thumbnail by baja220
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Debbie,

You have Chlorophytum 'Fire Flash'. It is indeed a spider plant. They are adorable, aren't they? They do need a fair amount of bright light to maintain that beautiful coloring and they do not like draughts. It will cause the leaf tips to turn black. Enjoy your new plant!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Thanks GH!!! From what I understand, it doesn't get baby spiders hanging down, so it wouldn't really need a hanging pot would it?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

No, wouldn't need a HB. I've never seen one pup before, but based on what others have told me, they come from the soil rather than growing runners with babies attached to the ends!

I have one too and the advice above is based on my growing experience. I know that Sue(Kniphofia) has been growing this one for some time, so she may better know other culture tips that will help you.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Thanks again GH. Needs bright light and can't go dry. The one I got has some browning on the some of the leaves, but not too bad.
And also, in my second pic you can sort of see. There's 3 plants in this pot and they're right next to each other. Should they be separated and grown apart or leave the 3 of then together?

Debbie

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

oh so pretty! i have some small ones and hope mine grow up to look like yours! thanks for sharing this beautiful plant! great find!

kelly

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, have to go to Lowes today, I have 3 small starts of it, had no idea they would grow into that beautiful plant.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't separate them, think they are supposed to grow this way. It will appreciate the close quarters! If you do decide to separate them, don't do so until Spring- when the next growing season begins.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Just wanted to say....you got a nice one!

A WM near me had these a few weeks back, and since I already have one I didn't 'bite'....they are, however, much fuller and more 'lush' than mine!
I might go there this weekend and pick one up, after all, if they still have them....yours has inspired me, Debbie!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the nice comments. I really love it. My neighbor spotted it from her house across the street and had to come see what it was. LOL

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Oh how lovely! This is without doubt one of my all time favorite houseplants! I'm so glad they are becoming more widely available. I have a really big plant at the office.

The DG entry for this plant is here http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/123154/

I wouldn't separate the plant, I think it would take the smaller pieces a long time to recover and the plant looks better nice and full.

The plant doesn't produce runners but rather a kind of pyramidal flower cluster close to soil level, the flowers are insignificant but you will usually get seed pods.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.