Adding heat?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I am thinking I need to add heat to my bubbler. I asked about aquarium heaters in another thread but I am thinking now that thet wouldn't add enough heat. I have seen posts where some sort of heat pad is used under seed trays and am wondering if they can be used under my bubblers?

Hi,
I kept the brugs in my basement last year in the bubbler. Temps got down to about 45 and they were fine without heated water. I have a heat mat that I tried under some of my pots that had rooted brugs. It didn't have a temp adjustment and I think it cooked them. Hope this helps

Crystal

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Crystal!

Since you sent me a lot of my brugs I am glad you warned me not to cook them...lol They are rooting fine, a lot of them could be potted up. Which brings me to my next question. I am afraid to leave them in the bubbler all winter because I think they would rot. I thought I would pot them up as they root and keep them in my plant room which will stay around 65* in the day and no lower than 50* at night. douse that sound good or do I need to keep them colder so they will go dormant?

Carol

Hi Carol,
Brug soup - yummy!!!! The ones in my bubbler have roots that are about 1/2 in long. I'm going to wait just a bit and put them in potting soil. 3 or 4 to a pot. Also, I am going to go get some "chicken grit" and put on top of the dirt. Supposedly, gnats don't like to crawl on the grit, so they leave the plants alone. I'll give it a try. I think you temps sound good. That is what mine hung around. I left all the leaves on last year- as they grew. This year, I am going to pull some of them off, just to keep it less jungle like. I guess that these will turn out to be standards - if I do that. I've got a few 4 ft Brugs in the bubbler, they are getting roots too.

I think that some people do leave them in water all winter - maybe someone will elaborate on that and how they turned out.

Hope this helps a little bit. Sounds like the Brugs are doing well for you, I'm so glad.

Crystal

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

ooops! you have d-mail

This message was edited Oct 19, 2006 11:47 PM

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Just wondering, in Texas why do you think you need to add heat to propagate anything? Maybe in Jan or Feb, in Sept and Oct?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

The bubblers are in the house...I had noticed that in bottles outside in the heat some things rooted fairly quickly, others rotted faster...I dont have any information as at what roots better where and how...and I don't have much experience with propagating anything. I always bought my plants "ready made" LOL

This message was edited Oct 21, 2006 9:21 AM

This message was edited Oct 21, 2006 9:22 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.