L@@k at what I saw at HD tonight!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ya'll probably know what these are...I was looking for new C & S's when this wealth of color caught my eye...simply beautiful!!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's the same plants different angle

Thumbnail by Chantell
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all are fabulous.....................love the black and the one with pink strips................. You really have a so loving DH ................ Can you send him here.....LOL
Kaleem

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

WOW Wish I had just one !

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Kaleem - you are so funny - I have no DH....I saw these plants are one of our Home Depot stores...sorry for that confusion. :)

Anyone know the ID on these plants?

They are different varieties of Calathea. Beautiful...just beautiful!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks RainGazer!! Are they a difficult plant to take care of?

They hate me, but other people grow them beautifully! LOL I killed two fine specimens. Low light, plenty of moisture and humidity (that's what they hate about me, I don't give them enough water.) If you can handle that, they should do fine!

(Zone 1)

Different kinds of Calathea's and the one to far right with bright green leaves and white flowers is Spathyphillum (sp) or "Peace Lily" . I have a large varigated peace lily and a couple of small or I guess dwarf ones.

Beautiful Plants!
I was at one of our local Home Depot's yeaterday to get fertilizer for the yard and our HD didn't have any nice plants at all! It looked like mostly scraggly stuff left .... maybe they were getting ready for a new truckload! Or maybe they are sending all the good stuff up north! LOL. I will have to go back in another day or two and see if they have any new stuff!

This message was edited Oct 6, 2006 10:50 AM

This message was edited Oct 6, 2006 10:52 AM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh mercy...I'm used to growing cactus...hmmm....they might not make it in my household...LOL

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

You brat!! (LOL... you know I say that affectionately! Ü)

Yes, the one with the pink stripes is the larger leaved version of one I have (Thanks to Char!) that I sooooo covet!
They're all gorgeous....so you know if you don't send them to Kaleem you can send them to me (!)

I've grown a few Calatheas and though there are a few that are more resilient than others, the demise of mine has usually come from underwatering moreso than overwatering.
One thing I've found, after a lot of research and trial and error, is that they like *warm roots*, and the best/longest lived ones I've ever grown were sitting on top of our console TV (nice and warm) in front of an east window.
Our console TV has since bit the dust and our new TV has a sloped back...so my 'prime' calathea growing spot 'is no more'!!

I saw that deep purple one at our Lowe's and swooned, but I quickly passed it by because calatheas don't mix with me. I'm a calathea killer! But, the purple one is drop dead gorgeous!

Susan

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I haven't been to a HD in over a year....now I've gotta get there;)....hopefully I'll find some money in my winter coat, or something!!! LOL!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL...don't cha' love it when you find "suprise $$?" Need to see what those plants were $$-wise. I feeling the "pull" to go back and get "some" Yeah, like where do I think I'm putting them with my house over-run by C & S' recently brought in..LOL!!!

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Beautiful plants, Chantell! I love that pink and green striped one. Closest Home Depot to me is about 20 miles away, or I'd be there checking things out. I don't have room for anything though, so maybe being that far away is a good thing!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow, Chantell!! You better hurry up and grab some...lol!
:) Donna

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

So, Chantell....did you buy my Calatheas yet? muahhahahhahahahahahhahahahhaha!!!! (Ü)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

You BOTH are terrible!!! No between the weather and looking on my deck (at the Plumies and the HUGE brug someone was sweet enough to bless me with) I had a reality check. LOL Still thunking on it...LOL

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

THINK HARD!! LOL!! (just teasin' you!)
Still have plants in the garage (unheated) and there's a freeze warning tonight, so I've got some totin' in to do!
I did finally finish spraying them last night, though.

Did some repotting this spring, so with the larger pots and the larger growth....I'm again having a 'space' problem!

Any blooms on the Brug yet?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Matter-a-fact I found a big ole bud on it yesterday!! Those things blend in well with the leaves...I almost didn't see it!! How low a temp will they tolerate?

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

woohoo!!! Can't wait for the photo! It'll probably be a while, yet, though.
How *big* is 'big'?

As long as the soil is not wet (if grown in a container) ....they can tolerate near to freezing.....but can't tolerate frost.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll post a pic...probably the length of my hand....how big are they suppose to be? This plant has gotten - way big...unbelieveable...now if only the Plumies would grow at that rate!! LOL

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, that big!!
That's about right...so it should around a week (?) give or take.... before it blooms.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gonna call him Seymor!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

RainG.

They hate me too. I have "(shhhhh-killed)" I don't know how many. The last two were in my yard with heat and Plenty of humidity, light shade. Go Figure....

Hap

I am going to give it one more try. Promise, just once more. My head spins around when I see friends have them in their gardens.......!!!!!!!!!!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Chantell, re: pics on top, can you see me drooling? You can't? The keyboard's a mess! What a great find!!!! As soon as I find permanent places for my houseplants - indoors for the winter - I'll know how much space I have for new ones! LOL

sofie

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sofie - too, too funny....should've seen me drooling on HD's floor while trying to figure out what these beautiful plants were...WHILE sneaking pictures of them...ROTFL

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

You're so brave to take photos in the store....I wouldn't have the 'guts' to do it!
I don't quite know why...but I just wouldn't be able to!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wow! Chantell, was going to compliment you on your nice haul - then realized you had only taken pictures!! Smart girl - these are always so tempting and believe me I've tried my hand at them, couldn't resist - but I'd have to agree with RainGazer - they hate me! Good thing we don't have HD in town, only Lowes and they usually have a lousy selection.

Nan, like your "research" - if I ever decide to try them again, will have to use your TV trick and find someplace with bottom heat for them.

Debbie

Well, I get another opportunity! A precious DG member sent me a lovely Calathea!
Now, I have a Stromanthe that I almost killed (they need, in my experience, the same care as a Calathea) and a month or so ago, I moved the Stromanthe to my bathroom. No natural light at all, just incandescent bulbs whenever the kids forget to turn the light off, always warm and humid, and I water it right in the sink whenever I notice it's getting dry. See how dried out, brown, and ugly the big leaves on the Stromanthe are? Well, now that it's in the bathroom, it is putting out all kinds of new leaves, so I've put the Calathea in there with it. Here's a picture of the Stromanthe (on top, see the new little leaves? There's a new shoot coming out of the left one, too!) and the Calathea, below. I think I can handle it now and grow some beautiful ones! Yay!!

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow...those ARE beautiful...that bottom one is the one I lust after...such rich colors!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.