Birthday philo

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

My dear hubby is really catching on.

This was my birthday gift (a few weeks back).

No ID tag, in fact the floral shop owner didn't know for sure what it was, (DH did!) as plants aren't really his 'specialty', flowers are.
It appears to be a climber rather than a self-header...but I note that the sheaths of the emerging leaves are rather 'pink'.....what do you all think...is it the 'regular old standby' P. domesticum?

This message was edited Sep 28, 2006 12:36 PM

Thumbnail by Nan

A lovely plant! I don't think it's a standby philo. If Russ sees this post, I'll bet he'll be able to tell you.

S.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

No, honey, that's no stand-by Philo. ;) For sure Russ will be able to identify it. It looks like 'Emerald Prince' or maybe 'Congo' to me! She looks very nice, Nan.

GH

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Happy belated birthday Nan! Nice philo!! Maybe post it to the aroid forum. What ever it is, it's a nice one for sure!

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I vote Emerald Prince and a nice one at that.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Happy birthday, Nan! What a smart husband you have, too! ; )

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

what a beautiful plant!

kelly

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

I think it might be MOONLIGHT, as Domesticum is a climber
Armando.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, all!
I was very pleased with it!

Thanks, too, for the leads on ID's....I'll check them out.
I really doubt that it's 'Moonlight', as I'm pretty sure I had that one, at one time.
Aren't Moonlight's leaves rather a 'lime-green'?
These are a deep green.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Nan,
I think you might be right, went out and checked mine and
it could be more IMPERIAL GREEN.
Hard to tell with precision as the experts go by a lot of details like
the size and color of the petiole, expand from node to node , size and shape
of leaves, etc.
Anyway it is a beautiful plant.
Armando.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You lucky dog :)

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL!! Thanks, kniphophia...he's a good boy, ain't he? (Ü)

I read this description of Emerald Prince, snboyken...so I think you might just be right!!
A self-heading variety with glossy green leaves with thick midrib. Leaf bracts are red for a nice contrasting color.
(Though I was thinking it appeared to be a climber....I could very well be wrong about that!)

He's getting good at this....almost makes me wish I had another b-day (not really!) coming up!

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Attached is pic of my emerald prince. I definately think its to dark to be moonlight. I am no expert however I would put m money on Emerald Prince.

Thumbnail by snboyken
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Looks pretty darn close...thanks for posting the photo!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Beautiful plant Nan ! Happy be-lated Birthday !

(Zone 1)

Hey Nan:

I have a few Phylo's too .... don't know any of the names. I used to be so good remembering the botanical as well as common names of plants. Should never have thrown out the tags/labels that came with some of them! Here's a pic of one of mine .... think it's that Emerald Prince, but not sure.

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Here's another view

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Verrrry nice!
Are those leaves as large as they appear in the photo?

Many other little pretties in the background, too!!

That begonia Pink Minx is awesome, also!

(Zone 1)

yes, the leaves are big .... I have a couple of smaller ones, with smaller leaves.

Didn't know what the begonia was, Pink Minx huh? I just knew it was a begonia! LOL

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Wow, Susan....good eye there! I wouldn't have known it's name, either....it's coloring resembles one I have named 'Passing Storm'....but not the leaf shape!

Now I know that's a Philo, Lin...but those largest leaves almost resemble those of a Strelitzia...Bird of Paradise! That's a happy plant!

(Zone 1)

I have a Bird also, but leaves totally different! The Bird of Paradise a neighbor gave me recently .... a small one, with only two leaves at the moment. It was a bit scraggly, so I'm going to try to nurse it along. I had a huge Bird about 14 years ago, but it got left out one night in the winter .... brr .... it was too cold and it didn't survive. I will take a photo of the bird (not in bloom by the way) and post it later.

(Zone 1)

Hey Nan:

I guess the leaves aren't too different ... shows you how closely I look at my plants! Here's a photo of the Bird of Paradise. I think it's probably the one with the blue/orange flower. I almost bought a white Bird at Home Depot recently.

(Zone 1)

Here's a photo of a small split leaf philo in a pot in my screen room, I will send a couple of photo's of the HUGE ones in my yard next

(Zone 1)

Here's the GIANT ones in my side yard .... south side of the house. They do get killed down if we have a hard freeze, but come back very quickly in spring!

(Zone 1)

oops ... the one of the small split leaf in the pot got turned sideways .... how'd that happen?!

Here's another split leaf in the ground by our back driveway

(Zone 1)

Here's a shot of the one I think is Philo Empire Prince ... but I'm not certain

(Zone 1)

Leaf & stalk of what I think is Empire Prince, it has some aerial? roots, which the Bird doesn't have ... but the leaves do look a lot alike

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Nice philo....see what I mean?
The leaves are just so large and 'pristine', that I thought at first they somewhat 'resembled' those of a BOP.....though the BOP leaves are normally much longer.

You've got a lot of happy plants, there!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Happy Belated Birthday, Nan! How did you twist your DH to buy you a plant??? My DH & DD want to throw mine out the door never mind buy me more....lol. Looks great!

Luv all yours to Lin!!
:) Donna

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Donna! Thanks!!
Long time no 'e'! (or would that be 'd'?) LOL!!

Funny thing is.... I didn't have to twist his arm at all! He just came home with it after work one day...can you believe it?!!

He'll always say "I don't know what to get you for your birthday/anniversary/valentine's day, etc....."
and I'll always say 'you know I'm easy to please, just get me a plant, and there's nothing wrong with having duplicates'.....so he's been doing that, and he always does well.
Got a lovely mixed planting/centerpiece for our Anniversary, a Calathe for Valentine's Day....like I said, he's really catching on!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.