Another ceropegia bloom

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

This plant was sold to me, by a nursery in my area, as Ceropegia haygarthii.

I've had it a few years, and this is the first year that it's bloomed for me.
The bloom is rather large as compared to that of C. woodii....I think it's 'funky-cool'!

Thumbnail by Nan
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

That is really neat! What conditions does it require? Do you keep it in the house all year around?
Dawn

Woo-Hoo! You do grow! Very neat!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

What an unusual and beautiful bloom, Nan! You took a great shot of it, too. Do you have recommendations for online vendors with a wide selection of Ceropegias. I was thinking Shoal Creek, but not sure if they are up and running in their new location this year. I really like that one and 'Ampliata' is another favorite. Oh yeah, and I'd also like to know what conditions you gave it too! Nice growing, Nan.

GH

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice shot Nan! Love all the little whiskers!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Great picture. Cool bloom. Adding to my list.
Patti

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Very neat, great picture!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

how neat! very different and i love it!

kelly

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks everyone!
I thought it was really 'fascinating'!
Also....I'm very partial to purple:)

I tried to get a shot of the bloom from above, as it has a really interesting structure, but couldn't seem to get one.

There's another bloom opened that's in a more favorable position to get a photo from above, so I'll try to get one this weekend.

This has sat on a small 'shelf' on my large south-facing windowsill since the day I first bought it.
At first glance, it resembles a Rhipsalis, as it had no leaves for quite some time....the leaves seem to grow only on the new growth, which is also where the blooms emerge from (new growth).
It's very much a 'twiner' (as you can see in the photo, new growth is twining around that bloom).

I have shared/traded quite a few cuttings of this one in the past, and could do so again next spring, if anyone interested who hasn't obtained one by then wishes to 'give me a holler', lol!!

Mike Kartuz gave me a cutting of this gorgeous huge one he had growing in the begonia lath house. It traveled home in the bottom of a box of begonias and sat there for a week or so before I remembered it. I stuck it in my perlite rooting tray and within about 10 days it had nice roots (boy was I surprised!) now it's starting to push bud growth so I'm hoping for some blooms like yours someday!! I didn't write down the name of it (duh!) so I emailed to see if I could get it's name. It was just an 8" stick when I remembered it. not worthy of a photo at the moment.

and if the one I have isn't c. haygarthii, I would love to request to trade for a cutting (perty please) - perhaps mine will be ready to take cuttings by then too.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

You betcha, Lali....I owe you anyway! (Ü)

I'll be interested to hear/see what yours is!

This wont show a thing as to the variety, but you can see the little nub of new growth at the 6 o'clock position.
I've only ever bothered with c. woodii so this is my first foray into propagating ceropegia. Hope I'm doing it right.

I read Carol's notes in the hoya forum about pinning down leafless hoya vine so I figured it couldn't hurt here (and at the same time I tried this with my h. curtisii), especially after a week of traveling in a box, I couldn't for the life of me remember which end was up. LOL! So far so good. Any tips?

Silly, you owe me nothing! =º)

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'll just betcha that's going to work!
You'll probably have more than one 'growing point'.

The stems of yours appear to have a kind of 'striped' effect....or is that just 'me eyes'?? LOL!

There are a lot of Ceropegias out there....so I'd guess it's yet a different one!
haha...we might be trading in the future!

I'll try to get that shot looking down into the flower over the weekend, to show you the *cool* structure of it...and maybe place a coin nearby to show you all the size, as well.

man you're an eagle eye! yes, on closer inspection, it is striped. this thread piqued my curiosity as to the status of my formerly struggling C. woodii. I bought it at HD last year (after killing two before in the house) I decided it would go out to the greenhouse and if it could recover (after losing most of it's leaves) it could stay. So I went out to get it and I found it's empty pot. (wow,there's a surprise, not!) so as I was moving stuff around I see that it had actually repotted itself in it's Rhipsalis neighbors' pot and was 3' long! hanging down through the closet wire shelving. It had a bind-weed (ipomea family) all wound around it and it's even blooming! (Note to self; C. woodii thrives on neglect, hates own pot, is jealous of Rhipsalis' pot and wants to take over!) So I unwound the two and see that it's quite happy now all cozied up to the Rhipsalis!

Here's a shot of it! Now what to do? Leave it alone I suspect and try to make a new start of it. (note the empty pot in the back!) I took a photo of it's flowers, but the focus thing didn't happen the way I wanted.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL! Odd!
I dunno...if it's happy there, I'd just leave it.
Maybe it will soon develop some bulbils on it's stems that you can use to propagate to be safe.

I agree that they thrive on neglect....they do seem to attract mealybugs, though.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Neat plant Nan ! You have the coolest plants !

Yep, the ceropegias I've had (except for sandersonii) have really attracted mealy. Love 'em, tho.

Susan

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Nan, how in the heck did I miss your picture??? It's beautiful!!! Luv the cool! Hey I never got a cutting....lol! I've been collecting and buying a few neat ones to.
:) Donna

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm kind of surprised that I *didn't* send you a cutting of this one, but we may have traded just after I'd already cut too much!
There's always the future, m'dear!

This one seems to really need some 'maturity' to bloom.....it didn't bloom (or even leaf out much) for me until it started to climb and twine around things.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I know...just teasing. That's what I've been reading about some of the ceropegias. The vines need to be quite long for some to get the blooms.
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.