Newbie question re: cuttings

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I've been successful in getting a couple of things to root (Mexican Flame Vine, Lantana Camara, orange Esperanza). I've kept them in the shade up to this point. Now that they're growing, is it okay to bring them into the sunlight? I'm so excited that I've got them to root, I don't want to lose them by doing something stupid. Thanks for any advice.

Carla

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Make sure they have been rooting for at least 3-4 weeks--start with half day sun for a week, then move on into full sun. The days are getter shorter and the sun is less intense now. This same advice doesn't work at all times of year. And this advice is my own opinion from my experiences...
Debbie

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I always propagate my cuttings in a grhouse, but in full sun from the start. The more sun there is ( at least in a grhouse) the faster they root and grow. Outside, I would try to get some sun on them during the rooting process, and then gradually move them into full sun.
Since yours are rooted, I would move them into the sun faster at this time of the yr-the sun is not as strong as in the summer. Its been my experience that if they have some roots, they will benefit from being in the sun-esp if they are a full sun plant. Shade slows down growth and makes a leggier plant.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I am soooo glad you asked that!! I have been looking for the answer all day. I have a greenhouse but it was so hot and sunny I have been afraid to start cuttings in it.

Brandy

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

no sun in Texas...no sun in Texas--guys we still have 90+ temps down here.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

dmj1218, yr zone is higher than the others that posted here -so you are more south than they are-so the sun would be a bit stronger, but even when the temps were in the 90's in the summer here in Raleigh, I would take cuttings straight from the grhouse that were rooted-and put them in full sun right away-they did fine.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Tigerlily and Deb. It was 90 yesterday but will be 79-80 for the next days, so I will feel comfortable leaving the cuttings in full sun. If the temp gets above 90, I can move them into a more dappled sun situation until the temps go back down. But it is nice to know that I can give them more sun now and that it won't hurt them. Thanks for your expert advice.

Carla

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree with tigerlily. I move a lot of my houseplants to a sunnier location this time of year to get as much growing as possible before the big move indoors. Most houseplants are from the tropics and are used to lots of sun - just not all of a sudden so the move has to be gradual.

Just make sure you don't let your transplants dry out though.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I agree-don't let the cuttings experience stress by drying out too much, but don;t keep them wet all the time either. Roots grow at night, and will grow more in dryer soil. I always try to water in the am, so they go through the heat of the day with moist soil, but have had a chance to dry out by evening.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I did not know that, Tigar, so really appreciate the advice. I fear I may have overwatered a couple of things, but now that I know this, I'll be careful to water in the morning instead of the evening.

Carla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.