Persian Shield

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

OMG! I was at HD tonight and they had the most beautiful persian shields that I have ever seen. A couple months ago I was devastated when mine died because I was not able to care for it when I had that heat stroke. Chantell had sent one to me and I was so heartbroken to lose it. Then I went into HD and there they were. And they were all new and in such great condition. So I bought a new one and hopefully I will not lose this one. Here is my new beauty.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Boy thats a nice plant. good luck with it. dixie

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Awww, Jesse, congratulations on getting a new one. I'm sorry that you lost your first one. It makes this one all the more special. May it grow well for you and bring you years of happiness!

GH

Jesse,

I have never grown the Persian Shield indoors-just outdoors.

Do they get leaftip burn indoors, from lack of humidity? Can I just take cuttings off my "monster" outdoors, and pot up for indoors -under my lights? Any ideas on this?
Deanna

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Deanna,

I'm not really sure about taking cuttings and propagating persian shield. This is my second one and I only had the first one a couple weeks and it died. I think I will take a couple cuttings just to see what happens. I'm going to give this new one a try and hopefully it will do well.

Jesse

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Persian Shield is fairly easy to propagate by cuttings. You can root it in water or moist medium - just watch out for sour water. Indoors, it may drop some of the bigger, older leaves but I've never seen leaf tip burn and it always bounces back when it is moved back outdoors for summer.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Chantell sent me a PS as well and it did not survive, I guess some things i just can't keep alive...i also cant keep ivy's alive, in the winter...mine all do so good in teh spring and summer then winter when I bring my plants in they just go "ploop" so i am hoping that I can at least save most of mine this winter.

Char

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have not taken any cuttings yet but I plan to tomorrow. I will probably put one in water and the other in soil and see which way works best for me. I don't want to lose another persian shield so I'll have these as backup. When I got my last persian shield I planned to keep it indoors as a houseplant but this one I think I'm going to leave outside until the cold weather hits. This one is bigger and I will hopefully grow it outside during the spring and summer and put it in the greenhouse for winter. I am hoping that it will survive through the winter. I plan to keep my greenhouse at 65 degrees if possible and hopefully all of my plants will survive until spring. I would like to know if you all think this one is too large for its current pot and should I repot it now or wait until spring to repot it?

Jesse

Is that in a 8" pot, and what are its dimensions?

It'sdifficult to tell in the pic

Deanna

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Deanna,

The pot is 9" across but only 8" deep. The plant is 28" tall from the top of the pot to the tip of the tallest branch and it is 30" across from the tip of one side to the tip of the other side. So I think it may be a little bit too big for its current pot. What do you think?

Thanks,
Jesse

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I think I will go ahead and repot this plant since it is in such a little pot and I don't like the soil it is growing in. I have found that repotting is usually the best thing to do because so many plant growers ship everything in peat moss and once that is dry you just can't seem to get it wet ever again. So I think repotting will be best for this big beauty.

Jesse

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just saw this thread...I'm so sorry the plants didn't make it. I have found it not to be the easiest plant to keep alive. Seems very tempermental re light and heat...too much it whithers...too little it doesn't thrive. I thought I'd killed mine 2x in the past few months...but extra water and less light....it came back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.